Menu

Anyone using Hokki stools?

Has anyone's child used a Hokki stool for school work or other things like crafts, puzzles, etc?  I'm wondering if this would be helpful for ds13.  We had a dedicated school table but he finally outgrew it so he's been sitting at the kitchen table doing his work.  His feet don't touch the floor so he folds them under himself and then eventually complains that his feet are tingling.  

http://www.amazon.com/VS-America-3825-20-GR-Hokki-Stool/dp/B00HNW67KK

The stool is supposed to help with sensory input, body awareness, strengthening the core (because it stays in motion, ever so slightly, so you have to keep making minor adjustments in posture); sitting is less of a static activity.  I don't know if it would help my son.  Our chairs are not all that comfortable after sitting for awhile and he is easily distracted and loses focus.  I'm looking for anything that would increase his comfort and possibly improve his attentiveness and performance.

• Like 1

We haven't used one but I've heard great things about wobble chairs in general. I'd like to get one for DS, but because he's so active he falls out of his chair often. You can make one leg stools with a wide post for a test drive before the investment. If you get one beware there are different sizes. It may be too low for him or not fit the table.

Maybe try an exercise ball instead? If it's not too inflated there's less bounce. Or just a seat cushion on the chair may help, or an inflatable seat cushion.

We made a one legged stool for DS using plywood and plumbing fixtures. It was not adjustable and was damaging the carpet. For your son, you could have him place his feet on a foot stool situated under the table. IKEA sells inexpensive desks with adjustable legs. My DD has one of those and sits on a kid sized adjustable office chair. You could also under inflate a yoga ball to either sit on or use to perform push-ups from and work the core muscles.

I wound up taking DS to a PT that specializes with kids that have DCD/dyspraxia. She suspects my DS has that though I am not pursuing a diagnosis. DS attended PT for about three months and performed daily exercise which improved his posture and enabled him to sit better. When younger, he used to fall out of chairs all the time. After PT, son's balance and posture are much improved.

My daughter has a hokki stool for school. She used a large ball with feet the prior two years. She likes the stool better. She said bc she can move more on it. I think it is better than the ball also. We have used a inflatable disc at the table some in the past. I notice she stays at the table or desk more on the hokki stool as opposed to the ball.

Edited by freemanfamilyof6