Menu

What is our family's perfect city? Currently in Texas.

staceyobu

We are located in a small city in Texas.  DH would like to get a different job and there just isn't the industry here for him to find anything that pays well enough for me to keep staying home with the kids.  We are looking at moving to some places where he will have greater job opportunities.

What I'm interested in (in approximate order of importance):

1.  A market for IT jobs.  

2.  A city of at least about 500,000.  We would like for the area to be big enough that if he doesn't like the new job, there would be other opportunities in the same city.

3.  A reasonable cost of living.  We would like to be able to make it on one income.  Somewhere that we can get a house for less than a half million dollars.

4.  Driving distance (within about 18 hours) from a Texas border would be a plus.  All our family is in the state and flying a large family back and forth to visit grandparents will be expensive.

5.  Access to places to hike/ running trails/ nature of some sort.  

6.  Not crazy amounts of traffic.  Or public transit.  Or a walkable location.

7.  I would like my children to be able to see snow.  It doesn't have to be much, but all of Florida and Houston are not places I am hopping to move.  (I would make exception if I could live IN Disney World.)

8.  I would love to escape from a place that is completely republican and "good ol' boy".  

9.  I'd love a city with some flair to it.  I don't really want to live in sprawling suburbia.  

Places I have visited that I enjoyed:  NYC, Philadelphia, Portland, Charleston.  Of those, Portland seems the most reasonably affordable that matches several of our criteria. There are large portions of the US I have never visited, though.

Honestly, Austin fits that description if you don't need snow all winter every year and you're careful about commute management when you buy a house. Even Dallas has a blue mayor. It's still Dallas ;) but it might be a better fit than you initially think it would.

Good luck with the job search!

• Like 1

How are you not already in Austin??  Too big?  You could live in Buda or Kyle or one of the other little guys around "the city".  There are tons of outdoorsy things and hike/bike trails.  Housing, once you've gotten away from the central hub a bit, is very reasonable.  It's a tech center for sure.  And it's definitely not a republican stronghold.  The traffic is not stellar, but something's gotta give.  And it's true that we have no snow.  But it usually gets icy for a couple of days per winter!  And that's fun, too!

Austin is really great, in summation.

• Like 1

How are you not already in Austin??  Too big?  You could live in Buda or Kyle or one of the other little guys around "the city".  There are tons of outdoorsy things and hike/bike trails.  Housing, once you've gotten away from the central hub a bit, is very reasonable.  It's a tech center for sure.  And it's definitely not a republican stronghold.  The traffic is not stellar, but something's gotta give.  And it's true that we have no snow.  But it usually gets icy for a couple of days per winter!  And that's fun, too!

Austin is really great, in summation.

The heat has scared me off.  ;)  Austin is on our consideration list, for sure.

Kansas City, MO? I could see it meeting most of those depending on the area you choose to live in. There are lots of suburbs. Including on the KS side.

This is a great suggestion. The Kansas city area is quite nice. We lived there briefly and enjoyed it. The Overland Park, Kansas area looked nice. Kansas City has a lot of fun things for kids. Traffic was never terrible. It's not the most outdoorsy area but it's not the least outdoorsy area either. There is snow.