Menu

Literature for dyslexia & possibly dysgraphia student

kareng

I am looking for some ideas for my dd who has dyslexia and possibly has dysgraphia.  She reads at about 3 grades (2-4 depending on what it is) below the 11th grade she is in.

She loves to read but not so much to write other than creative writing at which she is very good.  We have used Abeka Of Places and Of People.  I like them because they offer shortened passages of a wide variety of literature.  She is OK with them, likes some of the stories but not having to answer the questions.  We are about to finish Of People, which I think is considered by Abeka to be 8th grade. The next choice in the series is Themes in Literature (which we own), which I think is for 9th grade.  We've toyed a little bit with LLATL (Tan book).  I have mixed feelings about LLATL.  I like some things about it but it's really too light, fluff really but I think the older grades of LLATL would be too much and I'm not sure I want to use any of those anyway.

My goal is to have her continue to be exposed to literature, read critically and analyze as she is able to (I have no problem writing things for her or having her type them -- i.e. accomodate for her to make this happen).  The major limitation we currently have is whatever we use has to be free.  I have thought about book studies but there's no way I could develop one on my own.  It would have to be something I could download and print.

Do you folks have any suggestions?

1879 McGuffey readers, PDF version is free. The 4th or 5th reader would likely be a good level to start with. Many libraries also have them if you like them and want to use the real book for a bit once you figure out the right level. They have the difficult words diacritically marked and defined and have comprehension questions starting with the 4th reader. There are a variety of literature types.

The Journeys Through Bookland with the guide might also be good, I will find and link the thread later.

You could try having her work through my online phonics lessons and Webster's Speller to improve her reading grade level. the 1908 Webster has reading selections that increase in difficulty, and the syllables are helpful with learning to read difficult multi syllable words. My lessons teach syllables, which would make the transition to Webster easier for you.

Here is the Journeys Through Bookland thread with links to the free versions. The 1879 McGuffey Readers are at various places, I usually go to PDFs from Project Gutenberg, their versions are a higher quality scan than Google Books.

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/498123-just-wanted-to-share-again-how-much-i-really-like-journeys-through-bookland/?hl=+journeys%20+through%20+bookland

https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/14880

1879 McGuffey readers, PDF version is free. The 4th or 5th reader would likely be a good level to start with. Many libraries also have them if you like them and want to use the real book for a bit once you figure out the right level. They have the difficult words diacritically marked and defined and have comprehension questions starting with the 4th reader. There are a variety of literature types.

The Journeys Through Bookland with the guide might also be good, I will find and link the thread later.

You could try having her work through my online phonics lessons and Webster's Speller to improve her reading grade level. the 1908 Webster has reading selections that increase in difficulty, and the syllables are helpful with learning to read difficult multi syllable words. My lessons teach syllables, which would make the transition to Webster easier for you.

ElizabethB, could you tell me how to find the link or page for the free McGuffey readers in pdf form?  I looked but somehow couldn't find them.

Also, are the Journeys Through Bookland something you have to download, as in you need a Kindle or Nook? I ask because we don't have one.

• Like 1

Does she do audio books?  Immersion Reading through a Kindle?

Also, have you looked at the AGS Literature studies?

http://www.wiesereducational.com/products/f_reading-literature/32-f_literature-textbooks/

We LOVE audiobooks.  That's how we were able to "read" some of the very difficult classics.

Could you tell me about Immersion Reading through a Kindle?  We don't have a Kindle nor a Nook so I'm not sure if that's something you can do any other way -- like sometimes you can download a pdf or some other form and be able to view it on a computer instead of on a Kindle or the like.

We have a kindle and many of the books are whysper synced.  The great thing is that the line being read is highlighted. the student follows along and is exposed to how the  words look and sound.  My son(10th grade) has been using this technique for about 2 years.  some of his lit books aren't whysper synced, but the exposure has increased his reading level and he is reading those book w/o help.and at a moderate speed. .This was also a help in keeping up with his peers.

*it was not until I wrote this out and compared where he started to where he is now, that I realized his improvement.  It takes time.   The motto in our house is nothing is difficult everything takes time.

the kindle app is free for the computer and most of the classics are free and we have been able to whysper sync for free the classics.  i search free and whyspersync free.  sometime I have to buy one for 99 cents to recieve the other free.

Not free, but Excellence in Lit is only $27 for the pdf version and almost all of the books they use are in the public domain, so you can download them, and get the few that aren't downloadable from the library. Their first level, Introduction to Lit would probably be a good fit. I don't have a dyslexic, but it worked well for my ASD/Dysgraphic ds.

ElizabethB, could you tell me how to find the link or page for the free McGuffey readers in pdf form? I looked but somehow couldn't find them.

Also, are the Journeys Through Bookland something you have to download, as in you need a Kindle or Nook? I ask because we don't have one.

i have a link above, you search for mcguffey reader in Gutenberg Press, pick the one you want, 1 through 6, then pick the PDF format.

The Bookland books are most likely on Gutenberg or Google books as well. but, you can get a Kindle app on a device or view them on a computer, there is a way to view Kindle documents on any type of computer.