Menu

Menu ideas for an elegant at-home spring luncheon?

pehp

In a couple of weeks I am hosting sweet family friends for a somewhat fancy luncheon at our house.  It will just be my four family members plus our two friends, who are in their 70s--husband and wife.  I want to do something lovely for them b/c they are lovely people--and because he recently painted a portrait of my son for me and it is gorgeous!  (I have also done several other  things to thank them for this gift already.) I would like to use as much local food as I can--we are bridging the gap between winter and spring here....the asparagus isn't up yet (I don't think! actually, I should check).  So we're still mostly in the realm of potatoes, winter squash, lettuces, spinach.  Not necessary for it to be 100% local, but I prefer seasonal foods.

My two requirements are that I can make most of it ahead of time and that it is simple to prepare and serve that morning.  I have been thinking of quiche and green salads with roasted potatoes.....or butternut squash soup and cucumber sandwiches.....but I would love to hear additional ideas, if you have any!

I'm also thinking about dessert.  Maybe pots de creme...that's my first thought.  

TIA!

I vote for your idea of quiche and green salad. Butternut squash soup seems more like an autumn dish. Plus, something with strawberries or spring fruits, but if it's not in season yet where you live and you want local--maybe there's someone local who sells jams that could work into your dessert. A sponge cake with fruit or fruit jam and custard seems spring-y.

• Like 1

I agree, butternut seems autumnal, but they keep so well that we eat them into spring here!  With sausage, ohh, luscious.  

I forgot that my husband is going through a vegan phase right now.  I could do quiche for the rest of us and just plump up his salad. 

We have lots of local jam on hand, thanks to my industrious mother-in-law!!   :)  No fruit yet..I am desperate for that first strawberry......but I've got a couple of months. 

In a couple of weeks I am hosting sweet family friends for a somewhat fancy luncheon at our house.  It will just be my four family members plus our two friends, who are in their 70s--husband and wife.  I want to do something lovely for them b/c they are lovely people--and because he recently painted a portrait of my son for me and it is gorgeous!  (I have also done several other  things to thank them for this gift already.) I would like to use as much local food as I can--we are bridging the gap between winter and spring here....the asparagus isn't up yet (I don't think! actually, I should check).  So we're still mostly in the realm of potatoes, winter squash, lettuces, spinach.  Not necessary for it to be 100% local, but I prefer seasonal foods.

My two requirements are that I can make most of it ahead of time and that it is simple to prepare and serve that morning.  I have been thinking of quiche and green salads with roasted potatoes.....or butternut squash soup and cucumber sandwiches.....but I would love to hear additional ideas, if you have any!

I'm also thinking about dessert.  Maybe pots de creme...that's my first thought.  

TIA!

Honestly, quiche and salad just doesn't seem to go with roasted potatoes. o_0 Nor butternut squash soup and cucumber sandwiches. They just seem...antithetical or something.

Artichoke soup is delish and very appropriate for spring. Great to make ahead too. Tea sandwiches or a grilled pork tenderloin or leg of lamb with rolls- great cold, hot or room temp. Fruit salad or a berry tart would be great. Asparagus, green beans or snap peas would be a great veg to go with it.

Salad, quiche, and perhaps a lovely meat/cheese platter with fig or apricot jam or an antipasto plate with paired wines? Cream puffs for dessert?  My favorite salad currently includes shaved fennel, red onion and parmesan with roasted (salted) pecans, mandarin wedges and a nice vinaigrette. It works great with spring greens or arugula.