Menu

Any must-do things in London?

madteaparty

How long will you be there? We were there for six days and it wasn't enough to do all the touristy things, much less the not-as-well-known things! :)

London is an amazing city! I can tell you which touristy things we enjoyed the most, but can't help you on the other. I'm sure others here will be able to, though.

How long will you be there? We were there for six days and it wasn't enough to do all the touristy things, much less the not-as-well-known things! London is an amazing city! I can tell you which touristy things we enjoyed the most, but can't help you on the other.

I vote for throwing it all out there, mostly because we're going later in the fall and I want to know, too. 

I vote for throwing it all out there, mostly because we're going later in the fall and I want to know, too.

You're going to love it! Wish we could go back. Daughter and I both want to, but husband says we need to go some place new.

Our favorites were:

The National Gallery

St. Paul's Cathedral

The British Museum

The Tower of London

Very close seconds were:

Westminster

Seeing a show in the West End

Greenwich (the observatory and the maritime museum)

First thing we did after checking into our hotel was to ride the Eye - it's a fun way to get to see the city. But I'd prioritize the things listed above if you don't have time/money for it. I wish we'd spent more time just enjoying the beautiful parks. We didn't even get to go to the V&A, the natural history museum, the botanic gardens, or the globe. My daughter really enjoys WWII history so we did do the Churchill War Rooms and that was pretty neat - strolled down Whitehall that day too. We did the shopping on Oxford and Regent streets thing and that was fun. Oh, Harrods too, of course. Have lunch in a pub an order a cider. It is so much better than overly-sweet American ciders! :)

• Like 3

In order of our enjoyment level when we were there:

Tower.   This would be the first place I'd go if I was able to go back to London.  Just being in those buildings gave me the chills.

British Museum.

Boat down the Thames to Greenwich.

• Like 6

I recommend doing some Self guided walks. You can cram a lot of sight seeing into a short space of time, stay above ground rather than using the underground and then just pop into places that you pass. Definitely recommend a trip down the Thames on a boat too as it gives you a different view point. This is my favourite Self guided walk site I've done several of them. They're free. Another thing I did last year is a guided tour of East London street art & history with this company, you pay what you want, it was really interesting 

• Like 4

Yes, tell me all!

I haven't decided yet how many days. We are going to Paris right after (and then Vienna and Prague later in September) so it depends.

Dh and dd are heavily in favor going to Paris afterwards, too (I mean, for us -- what you do is up to you!).  I'm pretty neutral on that part.

We should have Well Trained Tours.  This WILL count as a school field trip.

• Like 4

In order of our enjoyment level when we were there:

Tower.   This would be the first place I'd go if I was able to go back to London.  Just being in those buildings gave me the chills.

British Museum.

Boat down the Thames to Greenwich.

These would be my recommendation too.  If you find you don't have time to cover lots of other things, a ticket on the open air bus tour for a day or half a day (if the weather is decent) might be a good idea.

If you take the boat on the river, take thick extra layers.  Even on a hot day, it's chilly out there.

• Like 2

Are there better days to visit the attractions? Weekdays or weekends? Or it doesn't matter. Are the attractions closed on certain days? Is mid-June considered a busy season for tourism in London? I've heard stories about long lineups to get into the attractions, I would like to avoid it if possible. I'm thinking about getting the London Pass to avoid the lineup, but not sure if that's worth it. I started another three about this.

Are there better days to visit the attractions? Weekdays or weekends? Or it doesn't matter. Are the attractions closed on certain days? Is mid-June considered a busy season for tourism in London? I've heard stories about long lineups to get into the attractions, I would like to avoid it if possible. I'm thinking about getting the London Pass to avoid the lineup, but not sure if that's worth it. I started another three about this.

English schools have not finished by then, so weekdays will be quieter than in August.  There will be plenty of foreign tourists though.  Check the individual websites for opening hours.

• Like 1

Most days will be busy but if you can get to places early then you'll be at a distinct advantage than say trying to get in when then they've been open a few hours. Weekdays will likely be quieter though. 

A few literary ideas:

The British Library has a Magna Carta exhibition until Sept 1.

Charles Dickens Museum

Sherlock Holmes Museum

And of course bookshops - Charring Cross Road and others. 

It is such a big city with so much to do.

Our big splurge for this trip is the Clapton concert, so I think we will focus on the free museums.  

• Like 2

Thanks so much everyone.

I am personally super excited to visit the Tower, esp. after the Mantel books. I am now on the hunt for a "tower of London for kids" sort of book. Found one available on kindle on;y but no reviews, but if anyone has any suggestions, I am all ears!

Your dd might enjoy Paddington at the Tower. It's a picture book, and has Paddington Bear visiting the Tower with a suitcase full of jam sandwiches, which falls open and makes the ravens follow him! That leads to the Beefeaters becoming quite nervous!

We read it ages ago, of course, but every once in a while someone still quotes, "'My SANDWICHES!' he said, hotly." :laugh:

• Like 1

I did very few truly touristy things during my time in London (no eye, no tower), but I enjoyed kew gardens a lot--I do adore gardening! My husband and I enjoyed perusing the British Museum and then quitting when we got exhausted and drinking tea and eating scones. High tea at the Savoy RITZ (I knew Savoy didn't sound right!! It was the ritz she loves) was my British SIL's recommendation, but we couldn't swing it.  I loved just walking the city.  

Not really a must-do as you can do something similar in NYC but we had fun getting tickets via TKTS (so much cheaper!) and seeing a show while we were there, b/c we enjoy theatre.  

MOST overrated thing ever, and we only did it b/c my in-laws were with us and they insisted: changing of the guards.  

I heart london. I found it to be a friendly city, in spite of the snooty hotel staff we endured and the horrible car rental experience.  The taxi drivers were wonderful and the people we met in museums and shops were all friendly. 

some of our favorite London things to do:

lunch at a pub (the George; Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese; or just wander into one that looks inviting. Make sure they serve children)

British Library/Museum

evensong at Westminster Abbey (get in free; see it in use!)

boat on the Thames to Greenwich

observation gallery at House of Commons and House of Lords (may not be possible in summer; we walked right in in winter)

London Transport Museum

HMS  Belfast, Golden Hinde, Cutty Sark, etc.

Ceremony of the keys at the Tower (talk about chills!) (have to sign up in advance)

see Tower Bridge being lifted -- there's a person in a little booth on the bridge you can ask when the next lift time is. I suppose it's on the web now. Yes! here is a schedule!

many beautiful, tiny (& large) churches in London hold free noontime concerts (organ, etc.) -- it will be posted outside the church. Again, this must be on the web too, now

crypt underneath St Martin-in-the-Fields has a café

and yes, just wandering around the lovely gardens and looking at the blue plaques on every other house seeing what august personage lived there

ETA: of course, Churchill War Rooms; Imperial War Museum; Horse Guards Parade

• Like 2

Another option could be to Join the National Trust and visit the places they have in London and they also have a partnership scheme where you can visit some non NT places for free. A Family membership is about £104 (alternatively you can join National trust for Scotland online for a bit less and it's valid at the same places) and then you can get free entry into all those places. Considering how expensive some places are for entry for a family it can get you into some great places affordably. 

• Like 2

We are from England, live in US now. our kids wanted to see London, we did the tourist things. We did a double decker bus tour one day. It stops at many of the major attractions and you can get on and off as many times as you want. Was really good. Also included boat trip on Thames. We went on the Eye last so we could see all the places we had visited. Saw a show, which was awesome. Saw St.pauls and Westwmister Abbey during services, so they were both free. Went to free lunchtime concert at St Martin in the Field, great way to sit and rest weary feet, see the place and hear great music. Cafe in basement there is good and has restrooms to use. Many public restrooms you have to pay to use. We made heavy use of the rain ponchos that we picked up on our bus tour, rain is frequent at any time of year. Have fun!

• Like 2

Thanks so much everyone.

I am personally super excited to visit the Tower, esp. after the Mantel books. I am now on the hunt for a "tower of London for kids" sort of book. Found one available on kindle on;y but no reviews, but if anyone has any suggestions, I am all ears!

When we visited in December I looked all over for the perfect one:)

I found this one at the official Tower gift shop and it is awesome:) in fact, I bought a whole series of them there...including one on King Henry VIII, which is the kids favorite:)

It looks like they will ship it...

http://www.historicroyalpalaces.com/m/theme/tower-of-london-official-gift-shop/tower-power.html

• Like 2

Following up on mum's post: British weather is just as unpredictable as the rumours suggest.  Dress in layers and make sure your shoes are waterproof or at least water-resistant: leather trainers/sneakers rather than canvas.  Going around London in summer, I would normally be dressed in something like chinos, trainers/sneakers or similar comfortable leather shoes, a long-sleeved t-shirt (you can always roll the sleeves up), a cardigan and a light-weight rain jacket with a hood (umbrellas are more complicated to handle in crowded places).  If I was going on the river that day, I'd wear an extra layer or a thicker cardigan/sweater.  I carry a backpack to stuff extra clothes into, or expect to tie them around my waist.

Have fun!

Laura

• Like 1

A couple of weeks ago we went "mudlarking" on the banks of the Thames with a tour from London Walks. The guide was an archaeologist who spent quite a bit of time on the history of the Thames and the area where we were, then we went to the Thames at low tide and looked for artefacts. We found bits of Victorian pottery, as well as a roof tile the guide said was probably from around 1480. Others on the tour found cool stuff too. I thought it was going to be fun, but it exceeded my expectations. I generally recommend London Walks as they are interesting and not too pricey.

Another fun activity is doing brass rubbings at St Martin in the Fields, makes a nice souvenir to take home.

Tea at Fortnum's is fun, book in advance though.

• Like 1

I like to soak up the atmosphere when in London. My top places for people watching are along South Bank (you can stop off at the Eye, the aquarium, the Globe and the Tate Modern - wonderful architecture - if you like), Covent Garden (have lunch, go to a show) and Camden market. Spitalfields market is also good fun.

You've had good ideas for the tourist stuff, but nobody has mentioned the Natural History museum, which is my kids' favourite destination.

Have fun!

• 1 month later...

London tube is fantastic. Depending on the number of days there, you can look into the 7 day pass. Hope you are looking at tripadvisor also while planning the trip.

Many attractions are 2 for 1, if you show the paper train ticket. So dont buy a multi day pass on the Oyster Card, just say you want a paper ticket. For multi day ticket, they want passport pictures, so take some from the US. I had taken photos from the US, but noticed that the information center that I got the ticket from didnt take pics.

http://www.daysoutguide.co.uk/2for1-london  (London Eye, Towe of London, Globe, St Pauls etc)

In addition to the above touristy stuff, we went to O2 arena for a day also and climbed the roof of the arena. There are many restaurants in the arena also.

We did the Westminster Tour and the City of London tour with http://www.freetoursbyfoot.com/london-tours/ and then went to the places that interested us. We also did a Kensington tour through London Walks, which was really bad.

I remember looking at joining National Trust, but none of the usual touristy items are covered by them. I think Stonehenge is included though.

We rode the London Eye twice and the night ride was much more interesting. But if you are doing it only once, definitely do the day time one.

Camden market was very crowded and long lines...

If you have teens who like Forever21, then definitely go to Primartk on Oxford Street.

• Like 1

We are going in 3 weeks. CTMom, thank you so much for your sharing, it is very helpful for us. We have already decided that we will not buy the London Passes, and instead we will buy the subway passes and use the 2 for 1 coupons. I'm glad to read that you did the same thing.

How were the walking tours? How much did you end up paying per person if you don't mind sharing? Do you think doing the All In One London tour is an overkill? Walking for 6 hours, I am not quite sure about that.

Here is what we did; just me know if you want more info on any of these. The weather was truly all over the place. Prepare for everything except snow:)

Events:

Speaker's Corner Hyde Park (Sunday morning)

Eric Clapton at the Royal Albert Hall

As You Like It at the Globe

London Symphony Orchestra concert in Trafalgar Square (free)

Sights:

London Eye

Churchill War Rooms

British Museum

Tate Modern

Shops:

Hamleys (toys)

Forbidden Planet (Sci Fi and Fantasy)

Charing Cross Road Bookshops

• Like 1

Granted, I was in college at the time, and that is now 20 years ago...

Another vote for the Tower and British Musuem/Library (same complex)

Take a ride in the "tube"

It's cheesy, but I took a Jack the Ripper tour (cuz I'm into that kind of stuff.) However, since it skated the East End I am now glad I did because I love watching Call the Midwife. I totally appreciate/understand more about the show.

Parliament House/ Big Ben. Buckingham Palace.

I would love to take a spin on the London Eye. I never made it to Windsor Palace (which is technically not in London.) The Globe was in planning/ early construction or I would have gone.

Maybe take a double decker tour bus around to see Trafalger's Square, Cleopatra's Needle, High Street, 10 Downing Place (Prime Minister's home) and other famous/touristy places?

One can easily spend a week in London.

I didn't see some of my favorites mentioned. I really like

Victoria and Albert Museum

Museum of London

The Wallace Collection

I also have a great memory of the changing of the guard at Buckingham Palace. My little one really got excited about it and said, "Look, mommy! It's a marching band. Can I join in?"

• Like 1

I recommend having a look through tripomatic.com for London so you can go through all the touristy stuff and your leisure and price everything and see it all on a map so you can group what you like together (because one can end up going from one side to the other...or riding up and down the Northern line all day...or maybe that's just us). Its also good for finding tours which are great for touristy things. We've been there a few times, last time was December of last year...

If you like planes/machines than the RAF museum is a must see though it's a bit far from most of the touristy bit (lovely trip up the northern line on the tube and a walk, during the tube ride there was still an old police box that amused my eldest cause obviously it looks like a Tardis).

For art, the Inivia international art gallery is nice smaller one which was lovely for us when we went. The Tate Modern is bigger and this summer is having giant slides which you may enjoy. Duck cars on the Thames river is good touristy fun. 

I would recommend the British Library, it's always a nice trip for us (and close to the St Pancras station so good for us getting out of London)

If you go to Big Ben or the London Eye (giant expensive ferris wheel - haven't been on it due to certain family members having vertigo and it takes too long to not do as a family) , you'll be close to the London Aquarium as well as Cleopatra's Needle which is a good bit of history/discussion of colonization. I'm not a fan of the British Museum because it tends to be really really busy even for a London tourist spot and it's hard to get around with a group of small kids or with mobility problems or when carrying much (and my partner, who is a Brit trained as an archaeological scientist, and I spent more time discussing how certain items were taken/stolen from where they come from and how little of the stuff in the British Museum is British than anything else but we're dorks about that)...but you may enjoy it if you are trying to do all the touristy stuff. 

Cutty Sark is good now as is the Royal Observatory (having fun jumping over the line....) and other things in Greenwich. 

The Olympic Park, London Zoo, Kew Gardens...There is tons to do, we've been there a few times mostly do to business/our youngest being part of a medical study at St. Thomas and Guy's which is across the river from the parliament buildings, thankfully we don't have any in the foreseeable future as it seems to get more overwhelming each time we go, but hopefully you guys have a good time. 

• Like 2

I recommend having a look through tripomatic.com for London so you can go through all the touristy stuff and your leisure and price everything and see it all on a map so you can group what you like together (because one can end up going from one side to the other...or riding up and down the Northern line all day...or maybe that's just us). Its also good for finding tours which are great for touristy things.

Thanks for the tripomatic link.  What a fun site!