Menu

Amanda Knox back in the news

Laurie

I have no idea if she's innocent or guilty. None of us do. I'm flabbergasted at how many people I've read online think that just because they read the extensive media circus surrounding the case they know for sure if she's guilty.

Either way, she must be very relieved. I read somewhere that she said she plans to never set foot in Italy again. No kidding, right? :p

I was just reading this:  http://www.cnn.com/2015/03/27/europe/amanda-knox/index.html

According to CNN, she still owes about $54,000 to the man she falsely accused.  If she got a 4 million dollar book deal for that book she wrote, then she should have paid this by now!  Pay up, Amanda!!!

But do we know how much she has paid in lawyer fees? Or to her family who must have been paying things while she was in jail? Was the man actually incarcerated (the only one they have actual evidence against) ordered to pay anything for accusing others of murder to get a shorter sentence when they've now been found not guilty?

• Like 1

Either way, she must be very relieved. I read somewhere that she said she plans to never set foot in Italy again. No kidding, right? :p

My dh was disgusted by the whole investigation. His take when it all started was "none of our dc will do study abroad in Italy." Investigators notched the whole thing. We will never know one way or another, but being a foreigner in the middle of a totally notched case puts one at a serious disadvantage with the legal system.

I think Italy is beautiful, but I'm not sure I want to visit either. Dh speaks several languages, including Italian fairly well. As for our dc, since they aren't in music or art history, I don't think studying there is imperative.

I am grateful she has been acquitted, though I have no feelings one way or the other about her guilt or innocence, I'm just tired of hearing about her. Hopefully now it will die down.

I am so sorry for the family of the murdered girl.

Me too. 

My take is they didn't have enough convincing evidence to convict her.  The worst thing is the double jeopardy.  No new evidence and they keep going at it?  Good grief. 

• Like 2

But do we know how much she has paid in lawyer fees? Or to her family who must have been paying things while she was in jail? Was the man actually incarcerated (the only one they have actual evidence against) ordered to pay anything for accusing others of murder to get a shorter sentence when they've now been found not guilty?

I'm sure her legal fees are huge, but I'd rather have her lawyers stand in line to get paid if she still owes money to the man she lied about.  He spent a few weeks in jail because of her false accusation.  I don't even want to type his name because he has been proven to be an innocent man,  and he didn't deserve to have his name connected with the horrible murder.   

The way I see it, she had enough money to finish school after she got out of prison,  she earned a lot of money for her book,  and there was a legal defense fund set up for her very early on.   She has already made a huge mistake by falsely accusing him...she shouldn't make another one by refusing to pay for her crime. 

I don't know what's going on with the other man (Rudy something) who is still in prison...the one who murdered M. Kercher.

My dh was disgusted by the whole investigation. His take when it all started was "none of our dc will do study abroad in Italy." Investigators notched the whole thing. We will never know one way or another, but being a foreigner in the middle of a totally notched case puts one at a serious disadvantage with the legal system.

I think Italy is beautiful, but I'm not sure I want to visit either. Dh speaks several languages, including Italian fairly well. As for our dc, since they aren't in music or art history, I don't think studying there is imperative.

I'm with your husband. 

When I visited Italy as a teen,  I thought about a lot of things when planning the trip.  But looking into the Italian legal system and what travelers might need to know never entered my mind.  Thank goodness the only trouble I got into was forgetting my sweater on the tour bus which meant that I was denied entrance to a church because of my sleeveless dress.      

• Like 1

I'm sure her legal fees are huge, but I'd rather have her lawyers stand in line to get paid if she still owes money to the man she lied about.  He spent a few weeks in jail because of her false accusation.  I don't even want to type his name because he has been proven to be an innocent man,  and he didn't deserve to have his name connected with the horrible murder.   

The way I see it, she had enough money to finish school after she got out of prison,  she earned a lot of money for her book,  and there was a legal defense fund set up for her very early on.   She has already made a huge mistake by falsely accusing him...she shouldn't make another one by refusing to pay for her crime. 

I don't know what's going on with the other man (Rudy something) who is still in prison...the one who murdered M. Kercher.

Considering the accusation directed at the other party came during a 50 hour interrogation during which she claims she was repeatedly hit by Italian investigators, I can see why she doesn't feel responsible for the slander charges.

• Like 11

I'm confused. Does Italy not have the concept of double jeopardy? How can they just keep trying her over and over? 

the prosecutor was found guilty of serious misconduct in other cases and basically coming up with 'evidence' to convict others who were innocent of that which he was prosecuting them.

of course - this is Italy.  you know, the country that sentenced scientists to prison for not predicting an earthquake . . .

• Like 3

Considering the accusation directed at the other party came during a 50 hour interrogation during which she claims she was repeatedly hit by Italian investigators, I can see why she doesn't feel responsible for the slander charges.

And the fact that she did not bring up the other person (who was her boss)...the investigators did, and they kept grilling her about him. He called her to tell her not to come into work, the investigators clung to that saying that it must have been some kind of a code. She was 20 years old, was interrogated for hours and hours without a lawyer by numerous investors, denied food and bathroom breaks, and they kept forcing this guy's name on her. She also recanted and took it back within two hours of signing her statement. It is not like she just arbitrarily named him, and continued with the story.

• Like 9

And the fact that she did not bring up the other person (who was her boss)...the investigators did, and they kept grilling her about him. He called her to tell her not to come into work, the investigators clung to that saying that it must have been some kind of a code. She was 20 years old, was interrogated for hours and hours without a lawyer by numerous investors, denied food and bathroom breaks, and they kept forcing this guy's name on her. She also recanted and took it back within two hours of signing her statement. It is not like she just arbitrarily named him, and continued with the story.

Yes,  I don't hold her wholly responsible for those costs either because of these reasons.   

Guilty or not of murder, a person is likely to be confused and agree to anything just to end it.