Menu

AAR question re: read aloud time

3 ladybugs

I ordered AAR and it is in my state (about 20-30 miles away) but I am not suppose to get it till Tuesday. So maybe this is in the packet. 

What kind of reading do you read aloud to your child for the 20 minutes? Should it be picture books, chapter books, classics, doesn't matter? Would something like MP Literature series be a good fit for this time, that way I can ask questions afterwords to reinforce comprehension? What works best? Is there a list of classics my child should hear?

I just want to be prepared for when it gets here. :D Thank you!

• Like 1

Whatever you want!

The curriculum has no list. I choose a mixture of picture books, easy chapters, and longer chapters and read aloud every day.

My kids love our read aloud time and I just choose a variety of books that sound interesting.

And most everything I read is above their reading levels.

• Like 1

Your oldest is about the age of my oldest; we do AAR too.

I read 20-30 minutes at bedtime, usually a mix of SL books from p 3/4 and 4/5, assorted picture books, science books... I pick a couple harder selections and we read a bit from those to stretch (though I drop any he zones out on - don't see the point); I let him pick his favorites for the rest :). We love Seuss, silly old vintage stuff like Sweet Pickles books, Curious George. Selections from Honey for a Child's Heart. A ton of books that were mine as a girl. We like Let's read and find out science and Cat in the Hat Knows a Lot About That science series. I am working through the My Book House series. Assorted collections of poems. The random book on giant squid or boats or ghost ships I grabbed on Amazon last week because he was interested in learning about those subjects. Anything, really.

I think you can read whatever you and your dc like :). I love it when my ds is cuddled into me completely absorbed in a book, any book, any level. I love not having to plan this part of school, just going with whatever he likes at the time. It's one of the happiest times of my day!

As for book lists, try the blog Ordinary Lovely (look under the book lists section) or Wildflowers and Marbles, or Satori Smiles. To my recall, all have fabulous book lists/suggestions.

I think it's there just to encourage reading aloud to your child. Most homeschoolers would naturally cover the "requirement" in the course of a normal school day, I would think. If not then, at bedtime. There's no real reason to coordinate what you read. I guess you could...find a book that uses personification when it's covered, or one that uses opposites when antonyms are covered, that kind of thing. Unless you have oodles of extra time and want to supplement with coordinating books/activities, I would just focus on quality literature, or count whatever you read in science/history/etc.

I'm not sure what level you're starting with. As stated by the other posters, it is just advised to read aloud for 20 minutes. However, if you would like to incorporate more of an in-depth learning experience, you can tailor the reading aloud. Use books that go over the concept or phonics being taught. For instance, if the lesson is about digraphs, you can find books that has a lot of digraphs in them. Or usually you can find some picture books and ask your child to make a mark on a separate sheet every time they hear the digraph. There are some websites that list books by phonogram but you will have to do a search for them :)

We read whatever. Right now it's a lot of picture books as I have a kindergartener. I also do read aloud novels, I go back and forth. Mensa Kids has an excellent list of suggested books (both picture books and chapter books) for Kindergarten to Grade 3. We are going through that list right now. I also get read aloud ideas from the SOTW activity guide, Sonlight book lists, the Veritas Press books, Cornerstone Learning Resources book lists (Canadian), and the Book Shark site. Going through the SOTW suggested books alone would keep you busy for a long time! :)

• Like 1

We read whatever. Right now it's a lot of picture books as I have a kindergartener. I also do read aloud novels, I go back and forth. Mensa Kids has an excellent list of suggested books (both picture books and chapter books) for Kindergarten to Grade 3. We are going through that list right now. I also get read aloud ideas from the SOTW activity guide, Sonlight book lists, the Veritas Press books, Cornerstone Learning Resources book lists (Canadian), and the Book Shark site. Going through the SOTW suggested books alone would keep you busy for a long time! :)

Plus you can get a free shirt if you read the Mensa list! And fill the forms.