Menu

things every boy should know how to do

My 11-year old son is book-smart but he has a lot to learn about making his way in the world. Here's my starter list of things he should know how to do:

• pitch a tent / camping

• change a light bulb

• use basic tools

• know how to handle a firearm (clean it, load it, store it safely, etc.)

• change a tire

• bike repairs

• confident handshake

• tie a tie

• laundry

• cook

• play poker

• iron clothes

• read a map

• CPR

• how to fish

• gut a fish, clean it, and fillet it

• self-defense/martial arts
  • understand the rules of major sports (basketball, football, baseball)

Feel free to add to the list!

• Like 2

Good starter list of skills that I will teach both my boys and girls :tongue_smilie: Here are some others:

• Basic car maintenance: changing oil, tire, and probably a few that aren't too difficult like changing brake pads...
  • Gardening and seed saving
  • How to purify water
  • Starting a fire
  • Basic yard work - raking, pruning, edging, mowing...
  • Basic card games - Spades, Hearts, Bridge...
  • Like 2

My 11-year old son is book-smart but he has a lot to learn about making his way in the world. Here's my starter list of things he should know how to do:

• pitch a tent / camping

• change a light bulb

• use basic tools

• change a tire

• bike repairs

• confident handshake

• tie a tie

• laundry

• cook

• play poker

• iron clothes

• read a map

• CPR

• how to fish

In addition to cooking and laundry, just knowing how to keep a decent house.

I can't begin to describe the horrible apartments/houses of the guys I dated! (My husband even ended up hiring me to clean his house before we were married. He just couldn't do it! ) 

Know how to budget, balance a check book, pay bills 

• Like 1

Excellent list!!!! :hurray:   I just copied and pasted it for my dd.

It's been something that's been banging around in my head for a while ("What does she really need to know?!)

Thanks for articulating the question and all who contributed. :001_cool:

These aren't all 11-year-old skills, necessarily, but more like, "in the next 7 years" skills.

Starting a fire is great, but add to it putting OUT a fire.  The fire extinguisher idea is good, but he also needs the camping put-out-fire skills.

Firearms wouldn't be a huge thing in our area.  But how about handle a pocket knife?  Basic whittling (making firestarters?)  Just generally "not kill yourself with a knife" knowledge.

Chop wood?

Changing a tire is good, add "check the oil level and add oil."  Also check other fluids and add them.

Jump start a car.

Add hockey to your list of major sports.  ;)

Budget.

Basic saving/investing.

As well as cooking, how about menu planning/shopping, which is quite a different skill set!

Know where the fuse box/circuit breaker box is and what applies to what.  How and why to turn areas off.

Where are the gas and water shutoffs for the house and how to use them.

What a rental contract entails.

What a financial contract of any kind entails and what happens if you don't hold up your end.  Leading directly into the conversation about credit ratings and what they're useful for.

What insurance is, why to have it, what's necessary.

How to clean a house, and what kinds of jobs need what frequency?  How often do you clean the toilet vs. how often do you wash the curtains or clean the gutters?

Basic gardening/yard maintenance skills?  Oh, how to use a lawnmower!

Mending skills!  Sew a button, repair a split seam.

How to navigate a conflict.  How to take responsibility for your own actions, and make amends.  People skills.

Manners.  Manners for everyday use, and at least a passing acquaintance with truly formal manners, plus where to go to learn them if required.

How to pay bills.

As well as how to mapread, how to navigate a transit system.  Once you're familiar with one, the next one is easier to learn.  Plus it'll help with learning to fly, if he needs that.

How to dance?

• Like 3

Love these! My husband is an Eagle Scout (I highly recommend girls to join Venturing to find boyfriends, lol!) and can do all of these and it really is great for me. I'd hate to have one of those husbands who couldn't fix broken things or make me a bookshelf for my birthday :)  My oldest son is like yours so I'm taking notes for sure!

I would also add:

- how to write a resume

- WHEN to wear a tie, i.e. how to dress for different occasions

- swimming, particularly safety and how to identify and help a drowning person/child

- ride a horse (can't respect anyone who can't ride a horse myself, haha!)

- how to ask a girl on a date

- how to order at a restaurant and tipping etiquette

- how to grill

- how to tie knots

- how to change a diaper and hold a baby 

You should check out both the Dangerous Book for Boys and the Art of Manliness blog. That blog is going to make up an entire high school curriculum for my boys of Life Skills. Everything from how to change the oil on their car and fix a toilet, to how to ask a girl out on a date and how to dress for an interview. It's useful for women too, really it's the Art of Being An Adult more than anything but it definitely has a masculine flair that is nice and makes it reach guys better. 

• Like 1

Love these! My husband is an Eagle Scout (I highly recommend girls to join Venturing to find boyfriends, lol!) and can do all of these and it really is great for me. I'd hate to have one of those husbands who couldn't fix broken things or make me a bookshelf for my birthday :) My oldest son is like yours so I'm taking notes for sure!

I would also add:

- how to write a resume

- WHEN to wear a tie, i.e. how to dress for different occasions

- swimming, particularly safety and how to identify and help a drowning person/child

- ride a horse (can't respect anyone who can't ride a horse myself, haha!)

- how to ask a girl on a date

- how to order at a restaurant and tipping etiquette

- how to grill

- how to tie knots

- how to change a diaper and hold a baby

You should check out both the Dangerous Book for Boys and the Art of Manliness blog. That blog is going to make up an entire high school curriculum for my boys of Life Skills. Everything from how to change the oil on their car and fix a toilet, to how to ask a girl out on a date and how to dress for an interview. It's useful for women too, really it's the Art of Being An Adult more than anything but it definitely has a masculine flair that is nice and makes it reach guys better.

I like the, "really it's the Art of Being An Adult..."

My addition to the list:

How to manage themselves, time, and goals. "If you can fill the unforgiving minute with 60 seconds worth of distance run, yours is the earth and everything in it, and, which is more, you'll be a man my son." ~ Rudyard Kipling

Change a diaper and swaddle a baby.

Interact with a toddler without being intimidated.

Ride and negotiate a bus, light rail, or subway system. (They are all slightly different, but the jist is usually similar)

ETA: file a 1040 EZ tax form (simple standard tax filing school can be done digitally)

• Like 1

With the exception of tying a tie and playing poker, I'll argue that these are things that girls should know how to do, as well.

• pitch a tent / camping

• change a light bulb

• use basic tools

• change a tire

• bike repairs

• confident handshake

• tie a tie

• laundry

• cook

• play poker

• iron clothes

• read a map

• CPR

• how to fish

Oh!  Public speaking.  Be able to deliver a short speech in public with the appearance of aplomb, and preferably not too much physical distress.  Whether it's needed for a town hall proposal, a toast at a friend's wedding, or because he owns the company, chances are good that being able to speak in public will come up somewhere in life.

With the exception of tying a tie and playing poker, I'll argue that these are things that girls should know how to do, as well.

My school uniforms had a school tie which is worn for school assemblies and when representing the school in a competition. I can tie a tie as fast as the guys even after all these years. I tie hubby's ties for him when he needs to be in business formal.

Playing poker is good for math :) We play poker without poker chips as young kids.

I agree with starting a fire (but without lighter fluid). I had to teach my husband--I grew up with a wood stove in the house for heat but his only experience was camping and that involved lighter fluid. He didn't understand the importance of kindling. And don't have him cheat and use fat lighter either (heart pine). Just paper, leaves/small sticks, etc. For even more fun he could learn to do it with a flint and steel. ETA Thinking about those starting fire episodes--there were actually several men present who could only start a fire with the help of lighter fluid. I must admit it was fun showing them up, especially after I told them what they were doing wasn't going to work (there was no lighter fluid present) and they ignored me at first. :)

• pitch a tent / camping

• change a light bulb

• use basic tools

• change a tire

• bike repairs

• confident handshake

• tie a tie

• laundry

• cook

• play poker

• iron clothes

• read a map

• CPR

• how to fish

My college guys have these down with the exception of martial arts and their understanding of sports is very, very basic.  They also know how to garden for veggies, how to take care of critters, how to make basic things out of wood, public speaking, amusing toddlers, riding public transportation in cities, navigating airports on their own, tipping, etc.

A couple of them are still working on changing their underwear daily, showering with soap/shampoo, putting dirty laundry in one location, and some of the other similar tough stuff for boys.

• Like 1

I love all these suggestions.

Kind of implied in orienteering and managing a mass transit system:

Be able to manage transport arrangements to an unknown city, determine where you want to go, and be able to follow a map and talk to local people to find the best way to get there.

Call me old-fashioned, but I think a young man should...

• help a woman into her coat (he could start with his mother and grandmother, and work outward from there)
  • offer to carry packages for a woman (should be someone he knows, trusts, and wants to help)
  • open doors and car doors for a woman
  • offer his arm to a woman when they are walking together
  • pull back a chair and help a woman get seated
  • offer his seat to a woman, when there is no other seat
  • at a formal dinner, rise when a woman enters or leaves a room (not for every day meals)
  • understand some of the more common dress codes for men (he should know what these terms mean and when each is called for in various social situations)
  • offer his seat to an elderly person, when there is no other seat available
  • show great respect to his elders
  • say please, thank you, excuse me, pardon me
  • understand socially acceptable behavior at major life events, such as weddings, baptisms, funerals, and during illnesses
  • properly apologize (e.g., not "I'm sorry," but "It was wrong for me to _______, and I am sorry. Will you please forgive me?")
  • write a thank you note when he receives a gift, especially if the gift is from his aunt
  • Like 1

I don't feel like anyone really needs to know how to fish. I know how to fish... but it's not been a relevant skill in my life. Nor do I think it would be different if I was male. Everyone needs a hobby. If it's fishing, great. If not, unless the apocalypse comes and you're on a lake, it's probably not a thing. I also don't really think firearms training is for everyone. If you want to learn to shoot, okay, I guess. Not a must. For anyone.

I'm borderline on camping skills too. I mean, I think everyone should go camping at least once. But if camping isn't for you, fine. That's why there are hotels.

I feel like the things everyone needs to know most are the basic home repair skills, basic cooking, basic car maintenance, basic home cleaning, basic first aid, basic tool use, basic financial skills, etc. The only skill I can think of that's really boy specific is probably tie a tie.

• Like 2