Menu

Really Need to Simplify LA for at least a Year - Suggestions?

CardinalAlt

I just found out I'm expecting twins in the fall! Oh wow... So I had been thinking about starting MCT to go along with our Bravewriter-ish patterns, but now I'm feeling I need something simpler and more independent for DD, so I can save time for more mom-intensive work in math, science, history...

DD is almost 8, a precocious and voracious reader, whole to parts learner - struggles a bit with spelling and the physical act of writing. We normally do copy work and dictation from our main lit read aloud, plus Spelling City, for spelling and informal grammar, partnership and free writing... We just started reviewing phonics rules from Explode the Code, trying to help her with word pronunciation and better connecting sounds to spelling. She's done cursive with a Reason for Handwriting, but doesn't want to continue next year (and I'm ok with that).

I'm wondering if there's a more streamlined, put-together-for-me plan we could follow next year. I've heard CLE LA is pretty comprehensive, but I'm wonderimg if it would fit a more whole to parts learner. (DD detested the incremental approach of Easy Grammar.) The other factor with that is that I do need a secular "sample" once a month in LA for our charter...

Thoughts, suggestions?

• Like 1

Why don't you try a single LU of CLE and see how it goes? It was my first thought when I read your title.

My (precocious) 5 year old is using LA100, and most of his lessons have been secular. I don't think you'll have a problem including a secular sample.

• Like 1

She's still young enough to get away with simply reading, copywork, and oral narration. In fact, that would perhaps be ideal. Choose a bunch of good books, pull copywork and bind it in a notebook, and do oral work (can be done nursing babies).  Amblesideonline has a wealth of copywork for good books if you don't want to do the typing.

How about www.talkingfingers.com  Read, Write, Type and Word Querty to round things out with spelling.  TWINS!!!! :hurray:  :hurray:   Congratulations!!!!!  (You might need some computer generated work.)

My concern with CLE is that it is so different from the Bravewriter style that she has been using.  Try it, but you can cover parts of speech and spelling orally via her copywork. (If you need samples to turn in to show grammar, have her circle the subject, underline the verb, etc...to show spelling, re-copy the tricky words divided by phonogram.)  

I have an open-and-go spelling for 2nd grade (intro to spelling and cursive in one curric...it might help with her handwriting...), and I have a companion to Treadwell's 2nd Reader coming very soon...but I remember having a baby.  I'd highly recommend some computer-generated *fun* work, and keeping the pencil/paper work delightful and simple.  

• Like 1

Thanks so much for the feedback (and the congrats)! I printed off the placement test for 200 to see how she would do... So, that's definitely an option.

Or, as I ponder, I'm wondering if just getting a work bookish spelling program would be enough to simplify and automate... I could still do BW Arrow units for weekly copy work, writing ideas & devices, great read alouds and discussion... Maybe I could just do the grammar piece of MCT this coming year instead of the whole thing (writing, poetry, vocabulary) - once we finished the text (could probably do that before the babies come), there's some short daily practice, right?

She's still young enough to get away with simply reading, copywork, and oral narration. In fact, that would perhaps be ideal. Choose a bunch of good books, pull copywork and bind it in a notebook, and do oral work (can be done nursing babies). Amblesideonline has a wealth of copywork for good books if you don't want to do the typing.

How about www.talkingfingers.com Read, Write, Type and Word Querty to round things out with spelling. TWINS!!!! :hurray: :hurray: Congratulations!!!!! (You might need some computer generated work.)

She loves computer work! This looks interesting... Would she need to start with the first level, or could she start with Word Querty? She has been doing some typing work already...

You might look at McRuffy. Comprehensive, open and go...easy for mom. I've found it to be plenty rigorous too when I compare the scope and sequence with other programs.

The readers are a bit twaddle-ish, but colorful and fun. My DS loves them even though he reads much better literature in his free time.

• Like 2

She loves computer work! This looks interesting... Would she need to start with the first level, or could she start with Word Querty? She has been doing some typing work already...

Start with Read, Write, Type.  You can adjust the level within RWT.  

• Like 1

Congratulations on expecting twins!  Not much advice curriculum-wise, but twins take a LOT of time- pretty much all of your time the first few months.  I would suggest working thru the summer, and as much as you can before they are born, so you can take off when they are first born.  Get as much help as you can lined up, even if it's just HS aged girls coming over to play with babies or kids, while you take a nap.  Simplify anything you can, and remember it's just for a few years- it will go by fast!  Mine are now 7!  Oh, and plan to stop doing physical things by 25-30 weeks.  I know it sounds crazy right now, but plan ahead with that in mind.  Read alouds and things you can do while laying down will be best.

I also highly suggest this book and it's diet!  My twins were full term, and went home from the hospital after only 24 hours, just like all my other babies.  They were also just as big- together they weighed 13lb 11oz!  Just a little under 7lb each.  http://www.amazon.com/Youre-Expecting-Twins-Triplets-Quads/dp/0061803073/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1427519472&sr=8-2&keywords=twins+triplets+and+more

• Like 4

Congrats!! We had a rougher than normal pregnancy with the twins and lost a few months there, we are definitely going through the summer to catch up :). Babies are 2 moths now.

We've been using CLE since I was pregnant with my fifth, it has really helped us get things done! :)

• Like 2

Congratulations on expecting twins! Not much advice curriculum-wise, but twins take a LOT of time- pretty much all of your time the first few months. I would suggest working thru the summer, and as much as you can before they are born, so you can take off when they are first born. Get as much help as you can lined up, even if it's just HS aged girls coming over to play with babies or kids, while you take a nap. Simplify anything you can, and remember it's just for a few years- it will go by fast! Mine are now 7! Oh, and plan to stop doing physical things by 25-30 weeks. I know it sounds crazy right now, but plan ahead with that in mind. Read alouds and things you can do while laying down will be best.

I also highly suggest this book and it's diet! My twins were full term, and went home from the hospital after only 24 hours, just like all my other babies. They were also just as big- together they weighed 13lb 11oz! Just a little under 7lb each. http://www.amazon.com/Youre-Expecting-Twins-Triplets-Quads/dp/0061803073/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1427519472&sr=8-2&keywords=twins+triplets+and+more

Thanks so much for the BTDT advice! I'll keep thinking about how I can make those months before and after simpler so I can focus on rest and then - survival!

I'm 90% of the way through that book, I bought it a couple hours after the big reveal :). Hugely eye opening, I'm really glad to be learning all this - want to give the babies the best start I can! So your story is very encouraging - thanks!

Congrats!! We had a rougher than normal pregnancy with the twins and lost a few months there, we are definitely going through the summer to catch up :). Babies are 2 moths now.

We've been using CLE since I was pregnant with my fifth, it has really helped us get things done! :)

Thanks, and congrats on your new little ones! Another vote for CLE - obviously a must try!

We love Luke's book too :). Our babies were born at 36+2 (taken early because they shared a placenta - monodi), 6 lbs. and 5 lbs. 13 oz. 2.5 days NICU 1 mostly for blood sugar issues, but 6 hours of breathing help for our little guy, home together at 5 days :). We are very happy with our outcome! LOTS of eating, resting, taking it easy :).

• Like 2

Instead of simplifying in LA at a time when kids still frequently need more guidance and one-on-one teaching, I would simplify in other areas. For example:

Instead of history and science daily, consider alternating days.

Consider audio and video history or science resources instead of making these subjects mom-intensive. A friend of mine with 6 kids does all history through audios in grade school (they listen and play, build with blocks, draw etc...), and her kids are very knowledgeable. I've often thought I could have done more with audio. As it is, when my kids say, "Oh, I remember ____" and I ask where they remember the person/event from--I always think it will be from when we studied it and did projects and I read aloud, and they invariably say they heard it on such & such audio. 

I would continue to work with your almost 8 year-old on reading as needed, spelling, handwriting, and if you have time, add on either grammar or writing (you don't need to do both in a year, or you can do each in units instead of trying to do both daily--that's one way to simplify). Aim for 60-90 minutes max of LA work, whether you do an all-in-one or piece-meal (I've never found an all-in-one that truly met my kids where they were at with each LA skill). 

• Like 2

Congratulations on twins! Eat lots of protein (that's my best - and really only - twin pregnancy advice).

I think you'd be fine letting language arts be reading (she does it anyway!), once a week copywork from the Arrow, and once a week freewrite. She's young. She's a bookworm. She'll be fine without adding lots of worksheet type stuff. If you want to keep up the ETC, that could be good for her phonics review and it should be really independent. If you wanted to have her writing every day, she could pick her own copywork - two or three sentences from whatever she's reading. I like the idea of having her do typing. There's plenty of independent typing programs but my young typist taught himself by doing Dance Mat three times in a row.

• Like 2