Menu

Yard Sale Division of Funds Question

AlmiraGulch

DD18 has decided all of us have way too much stuff, most of it good enough to sell, and she's going to organize a yard sale for all of it.

I told her I think that's great, and I'll help her the day of, and in determining what can be sold that isn't hers,  but she needs to carry most of the load.  

So my thought is that I'll somehow divide the proceeds with her.  I won't just give it all to her because I was going to do it myself anyway.  Plus, most of the goods that will be sold are mine and DH's.  But if she's doing the majority of the work, she should be compensated accordingly.

So, what division do you think is appropriate?

Growing up my mom had at least one yard sale a year. We received 100% of anything of ours that sold. In addition she paid us for time helping set up, work, and clean up. 

Would something like that work?

She'll definitely get 100% of anything that is hers that sells.  I don't really want to pay her a set fee for setup and cleanup, because I don't know what will sell. I'm thinking a percentage of the rest of it.  I just don't know what percentage is fair.  And again, it's mainly because I was planning to do it myself anyway, and have plans for the funds, that I'm not just giving her all of it. 

I would say 50% if she does all the going through, set up, pricing, and mans the garage sale along with cleanup. 

This is about what I'd say. Yes, she'd be doing a lot of the work but the items being sold were bought by the parents so splitting the profits seems pretty fair. Definitely not more than 50%.  If you have mostly large items that will sell for a lot, such as furniture, instead of small things like clothes and knick knacks, I might go only 40% for dd because organizing and selling small stuff is a lot more work than a few furniture items that will bring more than the little things. 

If your dd lived near me, I would definitely pay her that cut to organize, run, and clean up a garage sale for me!

I would say 50% if she does all the going through, set up, pricing, and mans the garage sale along with cleanup. 

This is about what I'd say. Yes, she'd be doing a lot of the work but the items being sold were bought by the parents so splitting the profits seems pretty fair. Definitely not more than 50%.  If you have mostly large items that will sell for a lot, such as furniture, instead of small things like clothes and knick knacks, I might go only 40% for dd because organizing and selling small stuff is a lot more work than a few furniture items that will bring more than the little things. 

If your dd lived near me, I would definitely pay her that cut to organize, run, and clean up a garage sale for me!

Have her keep track of what she sells that is hers.  Have her jot it down on a piece of paper as the day goes on.  Or have her use a certain color of spot stickers that are only her color, and as she sells items throughout the day, have her stick them to a sheet of paper.  

Give her 100% of her money earned of course and THEN decide how much of the rest she will also get.  That way you can decide what it was worth to you, my suggestion would be 25% for each day.  If she helped you sell $100 worth of your items and it was all done in one day, then maybe $25. If you sold the same $100 but it took 2 days to sell it, then 50%  Depending on how much stuff you have to sell, maybe cap her pay at $100.   By waiting until after all the work and cleanup is done, you can gauge how much labor she put in before you decide on a price.  

We have had sales were the entire take was $300 and some where we made $800 (we sold some larger items).  The $300 sale took just as much work due to the smaller items, more signs needed due to the area, and customers spread out through the day.