Menu

DS15 signed up for Speech/Debate at school next year...

I confess I am nervous for him.  :leaving:  He is currently in 9th grade and at a private school. He is doing acceptably well in English (making a B average), but those good grades belie how hard it has been for him to learn to write comprehensively. I "warned" him that Debate is not just getting up and babbling about your POV; that he will be required to WRITE out the speeches to fit into a particular form; persuasive speeches, informative speeches, etc. He is not worried at all...but I am. 

Is there anything I could work on with him over the summer, or else later in an after schooling capacity when he begins the class? Or should I just let the chips fall where they may when the class begins? 

Do you know whether he is planning to do speech or debate? My older ds has done debate for two years now. He's struggled a bit, but he's still planning to do it again next year. For debate at least, we had absolutely no clue as to what it was/how it worked. It helped ds a lot to watch some youtube debates, just to get an idea of how it works. If your ds is interested in debate, I can find some more resources for him. In our state, there are two kinds of debate, public forum and Lincoln-Douglas. They are significantly different and would require different types of prep.

And I might add that you might get more responses on the high school board.

• Like 1

My dd did extemporaneous debate for 4 years, which required very little writing, but a lot of remembering, and a couple of tries at PF. I agree with JeanM to check out the youtube videos; there are many different types of debate. Speech is a whole different ballgame, one I don't know much about.  

• Like 1

Thanks! I will look at them. It is both speech and debate in one class. They learn skills for writing and creating a speech and then also learn argumentation.

And yeah...high school board would have been the better spot.

I think I'd just let the chips fall where they may.

The debate I did in high school did NOT require pre-writing speeches--after all, you had to be able to answer your opponent's points!  So if you were the first speaker, yes, it helped to have your points written out . But anything after that required rebuttals, and you can't pre-write those, you jot them down during your opponent's speech and hope you can speak lucidly when you stand up.

For things like speech, since it's a class I'm assuming they'll be walked through the process of it?

I guess if there's anything you might want to work on (besides writing work that you've already been doing with him?) it might be something like Toastmasters.  Here's a topic; speechify.  5 minutes.  Go.

• Like 1

Thanks! I will look at them. It is both speech and debate in one class. They learn skills for writing and creating a speech and then also learn argumentation.

And yeah...high school board would have been the better spot.

Ah, somehow I missed that this was a speech and debate *class*, not a competitive team. In that case, I really wouldn't stress about it over the summer. Or if your ds knows the teacher, he could ask if there is anything he can do to prepare.

• Like 1