Menu

Difference in difficulty of W&R Fable vs. Narrative

lanabug

Which level would you choose for a 4th grader who has completed 3 years of FLL and WWE?  My dd9 has done okay with WWE, although I usually have to prompt her with additional questions when she is narrating.  Would Fable be too easy? I think she would enjoy either the fables or the parables, so no big concerns about interest level.

Thanks!
Lana

Thank you, that was very helpful!  Simpler dictation would probably be helpful for her to build proficiency.  I think we'll go with Fable!

One other question - could a 2nd grader who likes to write handle it?

Lana

They could handle it, but I regret having done Fable with my 2nd grader.  She liked it at first, but as it got more difficult, she started resisting and is now against the whole program. I shouldn't have pushed it.  Her level of thinking was up to it - we had awesome discussions - but she wasn't ready to put together the writing part and the thinking part and so it was just too much.  I could have scribed all of her compositions, but then we would have missed the benefit of a lot of the exercises.  I'd suggest waiting.  Or proceeding with caution and pausing at the first sign of stress.

• Like 1

One other question - could a 2nd grader who likes to write handle it?

Lana

I would want to wait until Gr. 3 to try it with a student, just so they had more exposure to a wider range of content. I've used WWE in early elementary, and feel that WWE 2 is excellent preparation for Fable. (FWIW, my plan with my up-and-coming Gr. 3 student is to do half of WWE 3 and Fable over the course of the year.) 

However, you could always try it out and then shelve it if it's not working!

• Like 1