Menu

Special Handwriting paper...Do you use it or just use reg. lined paper?

Sue G in PA

My ds8 is using the Zaner-Bloser handwriting paper this year. I hate it. It's like newsprint and it tears very easily. I got 2 reams of it practically free, so I figured we'd just use it up. Ds6 will use the rest next year. For 3rd grade...do you use special paper or just let them use regular notebook paper. My dd11 uses regular notebook paper and always has. She doesn't seem to have a problem. Ds8 has even better handwriting than she does so I'm wondering if he really needs the special paper. Any thoughts?

I think by 3rd grade it depends on the child. My oldest is using lined paper for 3rd, but handwriting is still an area that she is working on. I'm hoping to make the switch in 4th for her. It sounds like your son may be ready for regular paper. Why not have him try an assignment on regular paper one day and see how it goes?

Regular paper. I got some lined paper for them to use, but I realized that it actually makes it harder for them, because then when they start using reg. paper, they then have to almost "relearn" how to write their letters to make them smaller. I think lined paper is fine for pre-K, toddler types who are just learning to write- but otherwise, I think it is useless.

I use two-lined paper (Handwriting Without Tears style) for my 4th grader. He has trouble with lower case letters when he uses regular paper: he makes the lower case and upper case letters the same size. I like the two-lined notebook paper because it shows him how to make the lower case letters all the same size.

My dd made the switch earlier, I think. Probably by 3rd grade.

It just depends on the child. Try it with your ds and see how he does.

We use the HWT paper, as well. I don't plan to transition them for a long time (until the paper runs out!). They need it still at 11 and 9 yrs. old. I hated the three lined paper for the reasons you posted and it didn't help my guys write better. I threw it out.

For grade 3 (this year) I just started having him use regular wide-rule notebook paper. It took some reminding, but he got used to it quickly. I find his writing has improved a lot since he's had to write smaller. It looks better than his father's handwriting! :p

We use lined paper but I get mine from Miller pads and paper. They have excellent paper that's a nice bright white and they have many different sizes of lines depending on the grade. I also bought spelling list paper that's like the regular lined paper but cut down in width so it's perfect for spelling tests.

My kids love it. My son especially likes the story journal I believe it is. It's blank on top and lined on the bottom but spiral bound so he can write his own stories and illustrate them too.

There website is http://www.millerpadsandpaper.com

Kel

My 5 year old uses lined paper. My 7 yo boys use regular, wide-ruled notebook paper for printing and cursive. Other than initially learning how to form printed letters, I didn't see much point to continuing to buy/use special paper. In fact, the boys write more neatly on the notebook paper than paper with dotted lines.