Menu

SAT subject tests

Look at the college board website. I think there is one sample test per subject for free there. We have a stack of library prep books that we are using and plan to take the college board ones a couple of days before the tests.

For your reading pleasure :D

https://sat.collegeboard.org/about-tests/sat-subject-tests

Some universities and colleges require subject tests from every applicant. Since we have no idea yet where dd might wish to apply, we are hedging our bets and having her take three subject tests as they match her course of study. The closer the test is to the course's finish, the better.

She will take the Math 2 test this May or June after finishing precalculus. She will take one of the two biology choices after finishing a block semester of biology next fall. Her third exam will come from US History or World History or English, her choice, whenever the timing works.

Dd's language (Arabic) does not have a corresponding test, otherwise she might do that.

A math, a science, and a humanities test shows ability across disciplines. It will also validate her transcript grades.

The subject tests are given every SAT test date but for the March date. Languages are not given as often, so one needs to be aware of the schedule.

• Like 2

My understanding is that they're the modern version of the old "achievement tests" from the College Board.  I had no idea I had taken such a thing until I was cleaning out some old papers from high school (mid-80s) and I came across some scores.

Also there was a very helpful thread not too long ago - I think it was this one:  http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/540226-sat-2subject-test-strategy/

For your reading pleasure :D

https://sat.collegeboard.org/about-tests/sat-subject-tests

Some universities and colleges require subject tests from every applicant. Since we have no idea yet where dd might wish to apply, we are hedging our bets and having her take three subject tests as they match her course of study. The closer the test is to the course's finish, the better.

She will take the Math 2 test this May or June after finishing precalculus. She will take one of the two biology choices after finishing a block semester of biology next fall. Her third exam will come from US History or World History or English, her choice, whenever the timing works.

Dd's language (Arabic) does not have a corresponding test, otherwise she might do that.

A math, a science, and a humanities test shows ability across disciplines. It will also validate her transcript grades.

The subject tests are given every SAT test date but for the March date. Languages are not given as often, so one needs to be aware of the schedule.

Yeah I'm thinking of DS taking at least one of the math and one from the science list (probably chemistry).  I think that's enough.  I don't want to test the poor kid to death.  I've got a lot of plans for him.  LOL

• Like 2

Yeah I'm thinking of DS taking at least one of the math and one from the science list (probably chemistry).  I think that's enough.  I don't want to test the poor kid to death.  I've got a lot of plans for him.  LOL

From what I've heard, if he plans on the Math2 test at some point, it is unnecessary to take the Math1 test.

• Like 1

From what I've heard, if he plans on the Math2 test at some point, it is unnecessary to take the Math1 test.

Yeah, it's either 1 or 2, not both. Students going into STEM fields should take Math 2. Since we're not sure where dd will end up, she's going to take Math 2.

• Like 2

Interesting thoughts on Math I vs II in the first paragraph here.

Ah interesting.

His dream school specifically requires 1 and says it does not prefer one over the other.  (He has a better shot of being struck by lightening than getting in, but I figure it's a decent guideline to work towards that will either way leave him with options.)

Hubby is thinking of letting the kids take Math 1 as a trial run since the test fees are affordable and we don't need to keep the scores if they didn't do well :lol:

We are leaning towards SAT subject tests instead of AP as we don't fancy hunting for AP test sites. Many SAT test sites near to me. We are getting their DMV non-drivers ID done :)

ETA:

We probably have to DE for quite a few subjects.

• Like 2

Hubby is thinking of letting the kids take Math 1 as a trail run since the test fees are affordable and we don't need to keep the scores if they didn't do well :lol:

We are leaning towards SAT subject tests instead of AP as we don't fancy hunting for AP test sites.  Many SAT test sites near to me.  We are getting their DMV non-drivers ID done :)

Exactly what I'm thinking regarding SAT instead of AP. 

• Like 1

When are they taking it?  It's changing next year.

The SAT subject tests??? I have not heard anything about them changing.

The student should take the test upon completion of the course. Taking it a year later is not a good idea.

One advantage of the subject tests over AP is that there are several test dates throughout the year, except for languages (there is only one date with listening and one without).

• Like 1

The SAT subject tests??? I have not heard anything about them changing.

The student should take the test upon completion of the course. Taking it a year later is not a good idea.

One advantage of the subject tests over AP is that there are several test dates throughout the year, except for languages (there is only one date with listening and one without).

Does it matter if they take it long before they graduate from high school? 

Interesting thoughts on Math I vs II in the first paragraph here.

For starters, both tests are much more subject-based that the SAT and test students on topics they are learning in school.  The level 2 exam is a bit more challenging that the level 1 exam and usually is recommended for students in a pre-Calculus course.  HOWEVER (and this is a big however), the Level 2 exam has a MUCH MUCH MUCH easier grading curve than the Level 1 exam.  Essentially you can leave several questions blank (or get some questions wrong) and still get a perfect score on the exam.  Because of this cushion, a lot of students will actually perform better on the Level 2 exam than the Level 1 exam.

Not sure what this has to do with "myths" since the difference in the curves is a widely known fact.

The bolded info is problematic. Students should not be in a precalculus course when taking the SAT math 2, they should have completed one.

• Like 2

Does it matter if they take it long before they graduate from high school? 

Define "long". If they take it before 9th grade, they need to petition the college board to keep the score (at least that's how it works for the regular SAT), otherwise it is deleted.

DD took her subject tests in 10th and 11th grade.

When are they taking it? It's changing next year.

Are you maybe thinking of the SAT reasoning test? That includes a math and reading/writing and is being revised effective spring 2016.

SAT Subject Tests are on specific subjects (ie German, physics, math). I've not seen a notice of a big revision to the Subject tests.