Menu

ball python.....do we want one for a pet?

Ottakee

Ball pythons are great.  Their generally calm, easy to handle, large enough to keep track of but they don't get so big they are unsafe or unhandleable.   I would love to have a ball python but we have a red albino corn snake right now. 

The main thing to consider is you do have to feed them mice.  We order frozen mice online.

Do you want one as a pet?  I've no idea.

To me, snake and pet don't fit in the same sentence together without a "never" in there somewhere.  ;)

FWIW, the ball python in one of our Bio classes used to be a student's pet before they could no longer keep it.  As she's aged, she's started biting... so students can no longer handle her for the most part esp when she's hungry.  Anyone around her has to be very careful.

This means, of course, that she's almost always in her aquarium - not much of a life for any land creature of her size IMO, but the alternative of releasing her isn't happening either.  She's fed.  She's watered.  She has a light and some climbing materials etc, but it reminds me of the old style zoos and the poor creatures who had to spend their lives there.

*I* do not want one but my daughter does.  She does take very good care of her animals and with her special needs she will likely never move away from home.  I just don't know if I want a pet with a 40+ year life span.  If it could eat a frozen mouse every week or 2 then that would be easier than the bearded dragon that needed live crickets and meal worms etc.

I still think a kitten might be better.

We already have 12 baby chicks, 2 ducklings, a dog, a barn cat, and 3 horses.

My brother had corn snakes as pets when we were growing up, and my mom - who was NOT enthusiastic about them at first - ended up saying they were the easiest pets she ever owned.   They were a good conversation piece when we had friends over. :)

I don't know anything about ball pythons but corn snakes were low maintenance, clean, and pretty easy to care for.  They grew to be about 4 feet long and my brother took them out pretty often to handle them.   We had a pet shop down the street and my brother used to ride his bike down there once a week to buy live mice (pinkies) to feed the snakes, but now I think it's easier to buy frozen.  They ate (and pooped) once a week, needed clean water every week, and needed their bedding changed once every couple of months - about as often as they would shed their skin.

We did have snakes escape every so often.   Once I found one in my dresser drawer, which was good for a scream but otherwise harmless.   One got out and was gone for months, then started coming up out of the shower drain while my mom was in the shower bathing.   That was pretty traumatic for her.