Menu

Online Curriculum Suggestions..monarch?

5kidsforME

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug: 

Can you sit in on a class with your friend's child/children?  Or do they even live near you?  What might work for one family could be a terrible fit for another but if you were able to actually see a lesson that might at least give you a little more concrete information.  

Oh, it might help if posters reading this knew the ages of your kids.

• Like 2

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

Can you sit in on a class with your friend's child/children?  Or do they even live near you?  What might work for one family could be a terrible fit for another but if you were able to actually see a lesson that might at least give you a little more concrete information.  

Oh, it might help if posters reading this knew the ages of your kids.

They are 15, 11, and 10.  Unfortunately I cannot sit and watch, they live too far away. Thanks

How solid are their reading/writing/math/organizational skills?

Also, I am linking a few reviews that might help you.  I have not used the program but I considered it last year.  After talking to a representative a few times and reviewing samples, reading reviews, etc. I decided it would be a poor fit for my kids because, among other things, there was a lot of reading required and they were not yet reading at grade level (dyslexic).  However, it might be a good fit for another family.  Anyway, there are some links below that might help you decide:

http://www.homeschoolreviews.com/reviews/curriculum/reviews.aspx?id=845

http://cathyduffyreviews.com/grade-level-packages/switched-on-schoolhouse-monarch.htm

I don't know how different sos is from monarch but I have a friend that used sos for high school and her daughters had to take remedial la and math classes just to get into a community college because they scored so low. I think she had a hands off approach though. I use the sos bible and my kids have done really good and learned a lot. Monarch may be different. Lifepacs tend to run a little behind grade level so maybe thats the problem with sos.

My kids and I really didn't care for the individual SOS courses that we purchased.  I am not sure if Monarch is similar or not.  I would consider trying one class before making a huge purhase.  For online learning this coming year, I'll be using several Plato high school courses.  In the past I've used online materials from various different vendors and probably will still do so for my younger children going forward. 

Since I purchased Plato via HSBC I don't have access to all the teacher resources so scheduling assignments is more troublesome than I would like, I or my student have to locate and select each "next" lesson for each subject as needed rather than having a preassigned list.  But the lesson format works for my student so I'm sticking with it.