Menu

Writing suggestions for my struggling writer

Mom28kds

My DS will in in 5th grade and has trouble focusing and struggles with spending alot of time one any subject. I'm a terrible writer so I'm not much help. I'm planning on doing CLE LA but I heard their writing/composition needs supplementation. I'm bringing home from PS next year. What are some suggestions that might be good for us. I do want him to learn how to write just nervous about my ability to teach him. I believe he has some some instruction at school. 

My boys love CAP.  I think it's the only writing program we've ever had that they all voted to continue for the next school year . . . as in when I asked their opinions all three of them (these are my middle boys, 9yods, 11 yods and 13yods) they all loudly exclaimed that they wanted to continue in this program.  The assignments are short and very clear.  I've been pleased.

• Like 1

My DS will in in 5th grade and has trouble focusing and struggles with spending alot of time one any subject. I'm a terrible writer so I'm not much help. I'm planning on doing CLE LA but I heard their writing/composition needs supplementation. I'm bringing home from PS next year. What are some suggestions that might be good for us. I do want him to learn how to write just nervous about my ability to teach him. I believe he has some some instruction at school. 

Well, perhaps *some* people supplement CLE, but *you* might not need to, especially if your ds has troubling focusing and spending time on any one subject. I'm thinking you might just start with CLE and see what happens.

I don't know anything about CLE, but if you like the look of it for your son, I'd start there and not worry about supplementing until/if you need it. He doesn't need to master everything at once.

If that doesn't work or you want something else, I'm another fan of IEW. Bravewriter left my reluctant writer completely befuddled, but IEW gave him the tools he needed to organize his thoughts. It is more flexible than many people give it credit, and very thorough.

Writing Strands.  The lessons are systematic and incremental, and it covers a variety of different types of writing.

Also, copywork.  Yes, even though he is in 5th grade.  Because it will help him to focus on the punctuation and capitalization conventions and the structure of good writing.  Just pick a well-written book and assign passages every day.  Be a ruthless grader.

Also about 6 months in I would start a grammar program--probably Rod and Staff, probably the 4th grade book which is a good point of entry.  

Thanks for all these ideas :) I'll definitely look into them. I'm just afraid that "I" can't teach it and they need someone who knows writing to teach them the skills. I love HSing but this is my weak area.

With IEW, the DVDs do the teaching. I promise. :)

The basic set up (we used SWI-B so I can only speak for that) is that an actual class with Andrew Pudewa was filmed, and that's what you watch. It actually feels kind of like you are in the classroom; we called it "going to writing class" and my son would actually raise his hand to answer questions. :) Andrew does all the teaching, and you get real feedback from the kids in the class. They answer questions, give suggestions, and he reads their papers out loud to model good (and not so good) writing. I know that hearing writing samples from kids his age was very valuable for my son, and for me too. It helped serve as a good reminder of what age appropriate writing actually sounds like, as opposed to what I think it should sound like. ;)

• Like 1

Thanks for all these ideas :) I'll definitely look into them. I'm just afraid that "I" can't teach it and they need someone who knows writing to teach them the skills. I love HSing but this is my weak area. 

Honestly, it isn't all that difficult to teach children how to write well. Really.

Are there complete sentences which are properly capitalized and punctuated? Are there paragraphs? Do all of the sentences in the paragraph seem to go together? (I don't care how many sentences there are, or if you can identify such things as opening or closing sentences. Not all kinds of writing require formulas like that.) Do you have grandparents or other relatives that your dc could write letters to? Friendly letters count as "writing."

See? Not that difficult. :-)

• Like 1