Menu

5th Grade Writing Curriculum, Need Ideas

zarabellesmom

Here are a few writing curriculum you could check out. Some may be your taste, some may not, but I thought I would at least throw it out there to you! :)

Winning with writing

Writing with Ease/ Writing with Skill

Essentials in Writing

Jump in Writing apologia ( christian)

Writing Strands

Excellence in Writing

I am sure others will post many more :)

• Like 1

what about Chreia is not thrilling? It might help with generating suggestions to know what your student needs (or doesnt need) which made Chreia a bad match.

Wordsmith Apprentice did get my 5th grader writing, which was important. However, I think it is really light, as in I don't think it helped her *learn* many new writing skills. I tried IEW with her too (she hated it, the only curriculum she actually hated). I had her continue to do copy work to keep her writing stamina up, and to provide good copying models. If I would have known about it then I probably would have tried Killgallon sentence composing books.

• 3 weeks later...

We are enjoying CAP's W&R, but took a break after Narrative 1 to do Treasured Conversations and I am very glad we did. Looking ahead to Narrative 2 and Chreia, I believe the work we did in TC will make my dd get so much more out of the CAP program. I also plan to use the TC way of doing things utilized for writing across the curriculum. 

If you liking following the progymnasta, maybe MP's Classical Composition would work. Perhaps show your dd samples and see what she thinks. My dd picked Writing with Skill 1 for herself for 5th from CAP, MP, and WWS.

I agree. Classical Composition definitely does some hand holding for you, especially if you get the DVDs. We don't use them and its still fine, but for a struggling writer they would help add some encouragement and make the process even easier.