Menu

urgent advice

I have a parent teacher interview for ds7 today and he has requested I raise speed maths drills. His problem isn't doing them but that everyone shouts finished when they finish and the teacher calls out the time. With 29 kids that is a lot of shouting and he finds it very distracting and finds it harder and harder to refocus. I talked over options. His preferred one is to do it at lunch but I don't see that flying. The other options are to get the tests and practice them at home both to make him finish before some of the shouting or see if he could try a silent method - they may find several kids improve. This year he has an approachable teacher which helps. Any other ideas?

I am seeing him and will ask. That is what I think would work. I think though that the teacher who takes them is not the regular teacher but he is in there at least once a week and he could use a seating plan if he forgets names.

Not too bad. It is the once a week teacher so the main teacher is going to talk to him. Ds got into the extension groups for maths and creative thinking but I don't know what they do or how often. I will ask next term as the teacher has a real reason to be a bit stressed right now although he is hiding it well. He has actually got faster in the official tests and did well in his first ever standardised tests. Although how he did that well in listening comprehension is a mystery. Tomorrow is the last day of term 1 so we will see what happens next week.

• Like 1

Seems a bit much to have all the kids yelling out times... in our school they have a certain number of problems and are given 60 seconds to finish them. 1st grade its 20 problems, 2nd grade it will be 40 problems. 

Not sure if this helps this is just what we do (we use Rocket math in our schools).

• Like 1