Menu

Anyone use both Writing Tales 2 & Treasured Conversations?

j_thurm

HI, I am wondering how these two programs compare.  Are they similar?  Which should be taught first?  What ages have you used them with successfully?  I have a really nice mom trying to help me figure it out but she has never used Treasured Conversations so I am wondering if maybe someone here has and can help compare the two.  Thank you!

Background information...I am wanting something for my upcoming 5th grade child.  The curriculum I will be using for the Fall has IEW Medieval Writing scheduled but I took a look at it and realized that my child hasn't done very much outlining and writing the way IEW teaches.  We use HOD and do a lot of oral and written narration.  We have done quite a bit of grammar but my child doesn't seem to be retaining as much as I think she should.

Thank you!

I don't know what Treasured Conversations is, but I have used Writing Tales 1 and 2. The author suggest 4th/5th for level 2 but I can't see a 4th grader doing well with level 2. My 4th grader is using Level 1 and is having a tough time with the re-writes. And she is a terrific creative writer.  She writes pages and pages of stories. The selections to re-write in Level 2 are significantly longer than in Level 1, though it does introduce the outlining method (ala IEW) for remembering the story. Sorry I can't compare the 2. :( My boys will be using HOD RtR in the Fall and neither have had any experience with IEW. My older boys, who used RtR a few years ago, did well with the IEW book even though they didn't have any prior experience with the IEW way. 

Thanks for the response, Sue!  We are doing RtR next year too!!  So your older boys didn't use Writing Tales before they started the IEW book, but did fine?  If that is the case, do you mind me asking why you chose to use Writing Tales 1 with your 4th grade child?  Do you wish you would have used that with your other kids to help them get ready for the writing in IEW?   Do you think you will continue Writing Tales 2 with your daughter next year?  Thanks for your help.  This has been extremely helpful.  

I don't know what Treasured Conversations is, but I have used Writing Tales 1 and 2. The author suggest 4th/5th for level 2 but I can't see a 4th grader doing well with level 2. My 4th grader is using Level 1 and is having a tough time with the re-writes. And she is a terrific creative writer.  She writes pages and pages of stories. The selections to re-write in Level 2 are significantly longer than in Level 1, though it does introduce the outlining method (ala IEW) for remembering the story. Sorry I can't compare the 2. :( My boys will be using HOD RtR in the Fall and neither have had any experience with IEW. My older boys, who used RtR a few years ago, did well with the IEW book even though they didn't have any prior experience with the IEW way.