Menu

Childhood food quirks you've kept

poppy

Oh, I have many.

Peanut butter & syrup stirred together with a fork until evenly distributed with toast for dredging.

Canned pineapple & mayo sandwiches on soft white bread.

I can't eat the ends of bananas.

I liked cracker jacks as a kid but a cruel uncle told me the peanuts were baby roaches & that ended that.

Cinnamon toast -y'know-white bread lathered with butter & sugar & cinnamon broiled on top.

My dh's mom made chocolate toast for him...see above but substitute nesquik for cinnamon/sugar.

Cooked-not instant-Chocolate pudding with either vanilla wafers or peanut butter in it. Not both.

Cooked-not instant-Vanilla pudding with pineapple chunks instead of bananas.

Ripe watermelon, salted

Not strange so much but comfort food from my youth: chicken & dumplings, pot of greens (w lots of vinegar!),skillet fried potatoes, onions, & corned beef (the cheap canned kind-my mama could stretch a dollar!!), cube steak in onion gravy with mashed potatoes, field peas every night.

She was a magic mama. We had a small budget, but she had such skills that we thought we were eating like royalty.

Food/cooking was her love language no matter the budget. She made it work. â¤ï¸ðŸ™†â¤ï¸ðŸ‘ªðŸ˜

Now, I love my family and I love food but I can't share my utensils or drinking glass. Please no sharing😬. Please!

I still eat all this junk from time to time but the neatest thing is when I break away from our normal healthy fare for a comfort food from my past, the men get so excited. I think it might turn into their comfort food too :).

I haven't eaten peanut butter since I was four. Apparently, before that I loved it, and then my mom got the kind that had the peanuts mixed in one time, and ever since I've refused to eat it. Peanuts themselves are fine (not my fav, but fine). Basically, I view it as peanuts in the wrong form - the creaminess freaks me out. I also have a hard time with peanut sauces and other nut butters. 

Bologna & cheese sandwiches with Doritos inside.

A favorite my aunt made me - deviled ham & cheese sandwich with mustard on whole wheat (Roman Meal!) bread, baby gherkins on the side, and ginger snaps for dessert. Occasionally at the store, I'll remember this meal, and have to buy every single thing to make it.

I only eat PB and J if it's grilled and has strawberry jam-not grape

I LOVE hot peanut butter sandwiches! I haven't had one in years, but my mom used to make them open faced and put them under the broiler until they were all toasty on top and have them waiting for me with a bowl of soup when I came in from playing in the snow when I was a kid.

You are literally the only person I've ever "met" who has a clue what I mean--even though we never used jelly.

I think that's what we're having for lunch tomorrow.

• Like 1

And another!  (I don't tend to think these things or the others I mentioned are weird.... I have to think hard!)

I butter my saltine crackers.

I enjoy Tea Biscuits with syrup on them.  (A maple syrup, or more likely maple-flavoured or butter-flavoured syrup - not my Rogers Golden - that is for my PB&S sandwiches only!)