Menu

Childhood food quirks you've kept

poppy

I still eat one thing at a time until it is gone (on my plate), and I start with my least favorite & save the best for last.

I still find it very difficult to not "clear my plate."

I still love boxed mac'n'cheese, but I eat a more healthy version of it.  I only put ketchup on it if it's reheated.

• Like 3

I abhor milk and most dairy products. I'd seriously pay not to have to eat a single bite of yogurt or cottage cheese. The only hypothetical situation in which I can see myself eating yogurt without hesitation is if somehow eating yogurt would immediately save someone's life. Given I am unlikely to ever run into a psychotic gunman who will spare a life if I eat yogurt, I probably will never ever eat any yogurt.

I've hated most dairy products my entire life.

• Like 1

I don't eat blue things. This is not blue berries but things artificially blue. Freaked me out when they said I had a blue cancer, then they said they call it that because of how it reacted to a certain dye. 😄😄

I still peel pepperidge farms turnovers. Though admittedly this one has bit me in the butt since ODS takes ALL of his food apart to eat it.

I can't eat if I am too tired. Though I seemed to have passed this on to both of my children.

• Like 1

I love cold spaghetti-o's as well corn mixed with mashed potatoes and seasoned French fries with ranch dressing.  I also have to rebuild sandwiches that I get in restaurants.  The first thing I do when I get a sandwich in a restaurant is deconstruct it completely and rebuild to my liking.

• Like 2

I love cold spaghetti-o's as well corn mixed with mashed potatoes and seasoned French fries with ranch dressing.  I also have to rebuild sandwiches that I get in restaurants.  The first thing I do when I get a sandwich in a restaurant is deconstruct it completely and rebuild to my liking.

I want deconstruction tips.  What do you do to improve them?

And YES to the mashed potatoes with corn.   Corn is buttery! I hate it when I'm in a nice restaurant and have to eat them separate to avoid looking too weird.

• Like 1

I want deconstruction tips.  What do you do to improve them?

And YES to the mashed potatoes with corn.   Corn is buttery! I hate it when I'm in a nice restaurant and have to eat them separate to avoid looking too weird.

Well for example a yummy veggie sandwich (I'm vegetarian and eat a lot of these) would consist of pickles, mayo, lettuce and tomato.  So said sandwich would come to the table and everything would need to come off of it and then a good portion of the mayo scraped off because they have a tendency to put way too much, and then evenly distributed because they put it all in the middle of the sandwich usually.  Then put the things that would taste awesome next to each other. In this case it would be top bun, mayo, tomato, a sprinkling of salt and pepper, pickles, lettuce and then bottom bun. Of course the tomatoes and pickles would need to be layered in a fashion that evenly distributes them throughout each bite and the lettuce would need to be trimmed of the hard white parts.

I thought I was the only one that liked corn and mashed potatoes together! :) I can't think of an occasion in which I was unable to mix the two...but I really haven't been to that many fancy restaurants before.

• Like 1

This is not meant to offend anyone, but my parents thought that vegetarianism was a "quirk" that could be corrected with rewards and punishments.

Nope, not even 42 years worth. :P

I've seen my "bad behaviour" become the newest fad, an oldy-moldy-goldy fad, and ultimately return to its status as a "bad behaviour" that my WAP friends try to correct with rewards and punishments.

I'm almost old enough to use the same logic my father uses to get me to leave him alone about his iPad (because he has wanted one ever since he first saw it on 2001: a Space Odyssey in the 1960s) and his Colonel McTrashburgers (because they didn't have them when he was a kid and you can't stop progress) if anyone gives me crap about not giving a flying flip about raw milk and grass fed beef. :P

• Like 1

I still like Spagettios with Meatballs. Not the disgusting cheesy Spagettios, only the meatball kind.

I still don't like most cooked veggies (esp not "mixed vegetables," or peas and carrots), but I do like roasted vegs and salad stuff. My mom thinks I don't like any veg, but really, it's just not the canned crap or boiled to death stuff I was served as a child.

I still won't eat Jello. The texture is sooo gross in my mouth. You can't chew it, you can't just swallow it, blech.

• Like 1

I like dipping my grilled cheese sandwiches in ketchup, and my favorite food on earth is *still* apple slices with peanut butter. 

I dip my grilled cheese sandwiches in my tomato soup, and I hate it when I run out of soup before I run out of sandwich.

I sometimes still stuff potato chips into PB&J sandwiches. :)

I do that with my tuna salad sandwiches! It's best with the sour cream and cheddar ruffle chips.

• Like 2

I still put potato chips on tuna sandwiches.

Sometimes I want ketchup on macaroni.

My food can not touch unless it is a casserole or some dish where everything is cooked together.

I recently learned to shake things up by not eating one thing at a time.

• Like 2

I still eat one thing at a time until it is gone (on my plate), and I start with my least favorite & save the best for last.

My husband and son do that! I kind of understand saving the best for last but what if you get full before you get to the good stuff? 

• Like 1

I love buttered noodles with cottage cheese.  My younger son enjoys this with me, as my husband and older kid look on in disgust.  

Cheerios can be eaten as a substitute for any meal.  DH does not get the whole cereal for dinner thing, but I don't get why he puts salt on his apples.  

• Like 1

Cheerios can be eaten as a substitute for any meal.  DH does not get the whole cereal for dinner thing, but I don't get why he puts salt on his apples.  

I used to do this all the time, but somehow I started reacting to something in the cheerios :(

I won't go near mixed vegetables after having them inflicted upon me for much of my youth. Hated them then and still hate them now. 

I won't eat lima beans because of their childhood use as an ice pack (in the bag) for bumps and bruises.

When we were kids, my brother and I had two beverage options: milk or water. I never liked the taste of milk, so I always chose water. Even now, it's pretty much all I drink.

• Like 1

I don't do condiments. At all.

When Krispy Kreme glazed doughnuts are no longer "hot now" at home I microwave them with butter on top. I know, not healthy. But tasty? Yes, ma'am.

I don't eat both ends of chicken strips.

I can't eat sandwiches made with soft bread. It needs to be toasted or grilled.

If I share a bite with Dh, the spoon or fork can't have any food leftover on it (ie-smear of frosting) or I'll need a new one. Bleh.

I have many more, but you'll think I'm weird. :-)

• Like 1

I sometimes still stuff potato chips into PB&J sandwiches. :)

The only way I eat pb and grape jam (NOT jelly) sandwich is with nacho cheese Doritos in the sandwich. I rarely eat this. Bc while my cravings are the same as when I was 21, my body is decidedly not.

• Like 2

I don't eat the tapered, crunchy ends of french fries. So when I'm done eating, there is a little pile of ends of fries on my plate. 

I like nuts but not in things. Not in ice cream, brownies, or candy, or anything else. 

I do not want my foods to touch. I'm fine with a big salad all mixed together, but don't let my meatloaf touch my peas. 

After typing this out, I realize that I am still a five year old in some respects.  

• Like 3

Well for example a yummy veggie sandwich (I'm vegetarian and eat a lot of these) would consist of pickles, mayo, lettuce and tomato.  So said sandwich would come to the table and everything would need to come off of it and then a good portion of the mayo scraped off because they have a tendency to put way too much, and then evenly distributed because they put it all in the middle of the sandwich usually.  Then put the things that would taste awesome next to each other. In this case it would be top bun, mayo, tomato, a sprinkling of salt and pepper, pickles, lettuce and then bottom bun. Of course the tomatoes and pickles would need to be layered in a fashion that evenly distributes them throughout each bite and the lettuce would need to be trimmed of the hard white parts.

I thought I was the only one that liked corn and mashed potatoes together! :) I can't think of an occasion in which I was unable to mix the two...but I really haven't been to that many fancy restaurants before.

:iagree: sandwiches made by others must be pulled apart and put back together the right way.  I also eat corn in my mashed potatoes, it's even better with stuffing and turkey/chicken on a yeast roll..... 

I still like spaghetti sauce on eggs

the only way I'll eat a bologna sandwich is with Lays potato chips smashed up in it.

I still hate vegetables that come from a can (the only way my mom knew how to "cook" them :ack2: )

I pour milk on my ice cream, it makes "ice crunchies"

Fluffernutters are not just for children from Maine

Peanut M&M's must be cracked open, then eat 1/2 of the candy shell, followed by eating the peanut, and finish with the other 1/2 of the shell.  All of this after testing out the "won't melt in your hand" promise (I don't really do the last any more, I disproved it when I was 10).

• Like 1

I never liked Mexican food.  dh finally got me to eat it - and then I decided, I don't like it, I really don't have to eat it.  same thing for cherry pie.  (which does taste better if they're homegrown cherries).

my favorites are still sockeye salmon, fresh blackberry pie, and a *real* country ham.