Menu

Is this a handicap?

lexi

*UPDATE in post 39*

So I posted about my dd and her spiral fracture on her leg. Many of you gave me awesome ideas for keeping her busy while she's stuck on the couch. Thanks!

We were give crutches in the ER. She fell over while trying to use them. This caused swelling in her leg and a trip to emergency ortho center. They had to bivalve her cast (slit it and crack it open slightly) to allow for the swelling. That dr was frustrated that she was given crutches and ordered a wheelchair with an elevated leg rest.

The wheelchair is so much better! Hurray!

But here's the thing-she is in a long leg cast from her upper thigh to her toes. So she can't bend her leg. She's also supposed to be non weight-bearing. The dr estimated six weeks of dealing with the cast. So, she's pretty immobile except for being pushed around in her chair.

I requested a temporary handicap parking pass to use while she's in the chair. The dr denied me and said she does not qualify as having her mobility impaired.

I strongly disagree. I read over the rules regarding issuing those stickers and she qualifies as "a person dependent on a cane, crutch, walker, or wheelchair for mobility."

It's a small thing and a short time but having a closer parking space would help tremendously.

I'm really upset with the dr. Do you think this should qualify us for a temporary handicap sticker? Should I request it again?

We are getting ready to move to another state and I'm exhausted and stressed and I've been carrying my child to the bathroom as we cry together. I'm a little emotionally drained. So maybe that's making me more upset than I should be.

But what would you do? I just want to make things easier on my kiddo.

Was this the ER doctor or your regular doctor?[/quote

ER dr gave us crutches.

Ortho put on cast.

Emergency ortho clinic (part of the same ortho practice) cut the cast and ordered the wheelchair.

I called regular ortho dr to ask for a tag since he's the one who did the original cast. They denied her.

I asked ER to give us one. They said ortho needs to authorize it.

I'm so frustrated!

I would be frustrated too, but I'm not sure I'd want to jump through more hoops for the next 2-3 weeks, for a handicap sticker which might end up just being for 3-4 weeks.  I'd send a letter to that doctor's office though with strong wording and not return though. 

Your situation is the very reason they allow for temporary handicap tags! How do they expect you to maneuver getting her in and out of the  wheelchair in a regular parking space? There really is no excuse for them not approving it. Is there any way your pediatrician would sign it for you? Our Ped signs the application for ds. His is permanent but the issue is the same - needing to be closer, have access to bigger handicap spaces due to mobility issues. 

eta -  :grouphug:  You shouldn't have to deal with this on top of everything else!  :grouphug:

• Like 7

I think it's an annoyance, but for a young non-driver with an injury, I wouldn't sweat it. For a driver, an illness, or elderly, sure. ETA - I wouldn't have even thought to ask.

When I 12 I had a major surgery and spent 7 months on crutches. At times it was a hassle, but we lived through it fine. I'd let her stay home a lot, and minimize trips until she's more mobile.

It sounds very difficult and like it would qualify, but I'm not sure about getting "temporary" passes.

Many have an expiration date on them. Ours would expire in two months or so if we were given one. Just long enough to allow for her to heal and not need help with mobility.

• Like 2

Your situation is the very reason they allow for temporary handicap tags! How do they expect you to maneuver getting her in and out of the wheelchair in a regular parking space? There really is no excuse for them not approving it. Is there any way your pediatrician would sign it for you? Our Ped signs the application for ds. His is permanent but the issue is the same - needing to be closer, have access to bigger handicap spaces due to mobility issues.

eta - :grouphug: You shouldn't have to deal with this on top of everything else! :grouphug:

I have a call in to our pedi. I faxed him the papers. I'll see what he says tomorrow. I'm hoping he will help me.

• Like 3

I think it's an annoyance, but for a young non-driver with an injury, I wouldn't sweat it. For a driver, an illness, or elderly, sure.

When I 12 I had a major surgery and spent 7 months on crutches. At times it was a hassle, but we lived through it fine. I'd let her stay home a lot, and minimize trips until she's more mobile.

My problem is I can't maneuver her wheelchair in a regular space and I can't lift her out of the car without more room. This leaves me parking at the end of a row to be able to get out of the car.

I have 4 other kids and I'm in the process of getting our house packed up to move. Stopping our lives and staying home for the next six weeks is not an option. I don't get her out more than I have to but I have other commitments that I can't just drop for the rest of the spring.

It's not just annoying. It is nearly impossible.

I did not think it would be such a fight for one little sticker.

It shouldn't matter whether she is of driving age or not. She's is temporarily disabled and I'm the one who has to get her places. The car that she's riding in should have a sticker so we can help her with the wheelchair.

• Like 10

Guest submarines

My problem is I can't maneuver her wheelchair in a regular space and I can't lift her out of the car without more room. This leaves me parking at the end of a row to be able to get out of the car.

I have 4 other kids and I'm in the process of getting our house packed up to move. Stopping our lives and staying home for the next six weeks is not an option. I don't get her out more than I have to but I have other commitments that I can't just drop for the rest of the spring.

It shouldn't matter whether she is of driving age or not. She's is temporarily disabled and I'm the one who has to get her places. The car that she's riding in should have a sticker so we can help her with the wheelchair.

Oh honey, you don't need to justify yourself. :grouphug:

• Like 3

Your situation is the very reason they allow for temporary handicap tags! How do they expect you to maneuver getting her in and out of the wheelchair in a regular parking space? There really is no excuse for them not approving it. Is there any way your pediatrician would sign it for you? Our Ped signs the application for ds. His is permanent but the issue is the same - needing to be closer, have access to bigger handicap spaces due to mobility issues.

eta - :grouphug: You shouldn't have to deal with this on top of everything else! :grouphug:

Yes to the bigger spaces! Wheelchairs are big!

I feel for anyone who has to deal with broken bones or wheelchairs. This has really slowed things down for us. I hate seeing her in pain and frustrated that she can't even go potty by herself.

Oh honey, you don't need to justify yourself. :grouphug:

Thanks!

I just thought the ortho who put her in this massive cast would understand. He would know that she can't walk or move.

I plan to write their office. I don't know if I can find a different dr in the meantime.

• Like 1

THIS is why you need it. Doesn't matter if you can push her farther, you need it for the space to get her in and out. Frustrating!

I get it. MIL has a permanent tag. When she first moved in with us, I didn't use it much, figuring I would leave the handicap spaces to those who couldn't walk far. After all, she didn't have to worry about how far she had to walk, she was in a wheelchair. Very quickly, I learned the benefits of using the van accessible spaces so I had room to bring the chair up and room for me to help her in and out.

Fight for it. This is why they have temporary tags.

• Like 5

As someone permanently in a wheelchair, this infuriates me!!! OF COURSE YOU NEED A TEMPORARY TAG!!

Geez, they issue them for myriad ridiculous reasons these days. I cannot for the life of me believe they would deny it. Not just parking closer, that is the least of the concerns. There is just no way to manouver a wheelchair between closely parked cars, especially if drivers adjacent do a poor job of parking...which happens daily.

And please, please do not feel you need to justify this! Pain, injury, exhaustion are enough to put anyone at the end of their rope. Anything that can help make it just a bit easier is now necessary! If her Pedi won't issue it make an appt with Ortho. It could be they have a rubber stamper admin who looks at these things, as I once found out. Go see him face to face. I don't agree that it isn't worth fighting it over a couple of months worth. Getting in and out of a vehicle as a wheelchair user, in pain, is a seriously daunting task...one that keeps me home more often than I would like!

Hugs to you and your dd, I know how difficult this must be:(

• Like 4

As a mom of a kid in a wheelchair full time, I say you need the parking sticker. It's not distance, it's having the extra space next to the car that's a big deal. If they won't give it to you, you may have to do the annoying parking job and park between two spaces a little further away. I do that if I can't find a handicapped parking space. That's the no paperwork strain on you option. Even if you get the forms signed, you still have to go to the dmv and most likely get it mailed to you which takes "government" time (a lot more time than you think it should).

Was this the ER doctor or your regular doctor?[/quote

ER dr gave us crutches.

Ortho put on cast.

Emergency ortho clinic (part of the same ortho practice) cut the cast and ordered the wheelchair.

I called regular ortho dr to ask for a tag since he's the one who did the original cast. They denied her.

I asked ER to give us one. They said ortho needs to authorize it.

I'm so frustrated!

Is this the ortho who gave her crutches? Crutches wouldn't qualify. Call whomever put her in a wheelchair. She should qualify for a temporary.

The doctor who refused it is an idiot. She should get the sticker and a magical assistant to help you manage everything. But at the very least, the parking sticker. :grouphug:

• Like 2

Oh for goodness sake, what is wrong with that doctor? Is he the one needing to load and unload a wheelchair and maneuver the patient in and out of it?  You need not only to be close to stores, etc. but also the extra space of a handicapped parking spot!  My husband and I both were given six-month temp. placards once we were "nimble" enough to start getting out and about again (hubby with wheelchair, myself with a cane).

I have friends who got placards for when they transport Grandma, who does not herself drive, around. 

I would think your pediatrician could sign the form (can you print one out on-line ahead of time?) as it was my regular doctor, not any of the ones who put me back together after our car crash, who signed the form.

Yeah, I'd say that qualifies.  I was able to get a temporary placard when I had knee surgery and was on crutches a couple of years ago.  I wonder if there was some misunderstanding or miscommunication with the doctor?  I'd pursue it with whichever doctor you think is most appropriate (assuming that's the one you already approached), and then go on down the list until you find someone who will give it to you.  Be sure to explain about how you need the extra space, etc.

Gee whiz, one would think you were asking for a truckload of oxycontin instead of a temporary parking pass!!!! :mad:

This is exactly what I told my hubby. I was really upset that they treated me that way.

Thanks everyone for your advice and kind words. I'm going to keep working on it. I'll make more calls tomorrow.

I took my dd to a book store tonight and we shopped and bought books. It was fun and much needed. She's in better spirits today.

And I think I found a house that we love. We fly up soon to see it.

• Like 1

Qualifies.

Ask pediatrician to order home physical therapy to help you and your DD both learn how to make things easier. A rolling walker would be my vote. She should be able to do most things without you needing to lift her.

Good idea. I truly can't lift her anymore. My back is killing me.

But I wonder if she will need any physical therapy after her cast comes off. Hmmmm...hadn't thought about physical therapy at all. The dr thinks we can avoid surgery. I so hope so!

if you Google this and then similar things you need to do and then select videos, there are tons of videos out there.

"how to lift someone out of a wheelchair"

When my son was on crutches, he was not great at them, he was younger then, it made me nervous. I carried him around for a while but that quickly got tiring. I then moved him to a rolling office chair that I rolled around to where he needed to go, pushing a chair around was easier than carrying him.

My son was in a wheelchair for 2 months and a cast for 8 months total and could not use crutches due to his actual disabilities and it never occurred to me to ask for a disabled parking placard.  I just parked in the parent with child parking, which is like 1-2 stalls over from disabled parking (at locations that have it) otherwise I just made due.  I do not count a broken bone, no matter how severe to be a disability that warrants disable parking placard (ds's break was severe enough that 3.5 years out from the break he still has chronic pain and has been determined to have  4% loss of limb rating due to prolonged deformity from the break.  If I could not have enough space to maneuver him out of the vehicle (I had my mini van back then) in the parent with child stall, I would park further down even if it meant pushing the wheelchair further.  Yes it was a pain, back then my youngest was only coming up on 3, luckily oldest 2 were 11 & 12 back then,  but it was a huge pita and it was summer for his wheelchair months.  SO I get that you are very frustrated. Given your struggles the dr should have made the chose to give you one, but I can see why they wouldn't...because to them a broken bone is an injury not a disability...even temporarily.

I'd request it again. That's ridiculous. :grouphug: to both of you.

I would ask again. Perhaps the doc, for whatever reason, didn't give the request enough consideration. Definitely worth another try. If your insurance company authorized the wheelchair, seems like there's support for a wheelchair user's car tag. Those do come with expiration dates to make sure there's no use of it beyond your required time frame.

Update:

So I called back the emergency clinic that prescribed the wheelchair and asked for a sticker. They said they could not issue one and that it had to come from our primary orthopedic doctor. But they did call his office and request one on my behalf.

Two hours later a different lady called from their office and said they would sign the paperwork.

I now have my handicap sticker and we've been out of the house a few times with our wheelchair. It's hard work to take her places but it's been so good for her to get out of the house a little.

She's also in less pain and feeling much better overall.

We go back to the dr this Friday for x-rays to check the healing. I'm hoping she can have a new shorter cast soon so she can bend her knee.

• Like 15