Menu

Bible Curriculum Suggestions

tmstranger

I'm continuing to plan for next year...

I did not use a specific Bible curriculum this year.  We did read from the Bible occasionally, which was made easier by studying ancients, so we just followed the time period.  We also have  devotional book, but we were not very consistent.  I honestly don't know how much the kids "need" a Bible curriculum since they go to Sunday School every Sunday and attend AWANA frequently.  My concern is that AWANA is highly dependent on the sports schedules and evening games/practices.  Sometimes we skip for an entire sports season.

Anyway...looking to add something next year that will get done consistently.  My boys are entering 3rd and 6th grade.  I don't really care if they do it together or not...I just want something that gets done.  

Any suggestions that won't cost an arm and a leg?  Thanks.

It depends what you are looking for and hoping to accomplish.  During the early years we did various things from Book studies of the Bible to focusing on World view.  Several years we read the Bible through chronologically and discussed it.  Now that my kids are older they read it on their own using a planned set of reading I schedule that is to be done in the morning and then we discuss it.  Bible in my opinion is one of those things that you don't need to have a curriculum per say but a plan.  If you are looking more for character studies we do that on top of their Bible reading where the kids pick out one thing they need to work on for the week and then they read verses and passages that will help them with their character trait.  Once source that has been very helpful in that is: For Instruction in Righteousness, which is a book broken down by qualities that one wishes to desire with a list of Bible references and stories.  What exactly are you wanting to accomplish and I might can steer you in what has worked for us?  

It depends what you are looking for and hoping to accomplish.  During the early years we did various things from Book studies of the Bible to focusing on World view.  Several years we read the Bible through chronologically and discussed it.  Now that my kids are older they read it on their own using a planned set of reading I schedule that is to be done in the morning and then we discuss it.  Bible in my opinion is one of those things that you don't need to have a curriculum per say but a plan.  If you are looking more for character studies we do that on top of their Bible reading where the kids pick out one thing they need to work on for the week and then they read verses and passages that will help them with their character trait.  Once source that has been very helpful in that is: For Instruction in Righteousness, which is a book broken down by qualities that one wishes to desire with a list of Bible references and stories.  What exactly are you wanting to accomplish and I might can steer you in what has worked for us?  

hmmm...good question!  I think my ultimate goal is for them to know God.  I want them to learn the stories in the Bible and know that they can/should turn to God because He is always there for them.  Make sense?  I think I want to learn along with them, too. 

A little background of me: I grew up in the Catholic church, but only attended CCD to early middle school.  I really didn't have a strong Bible education.  As an adult, I have returned to the church (Methodist) because I think it is important to have Faith in my life and I want that for my kids. 

So....my goal would be to give them a better Bible education than I had and to make it an important part of their life.  I realize that goes beyond just curriculum, so we are very involved in our church and community and we do have discussions about God in everyday life, but learning the Bible stories is important and sometimes just sitting down to read the Bible can be intimidating. 

I agree with Silver Moon the Victor Journey Through the Bible is an awesome resource!  I have used it with my kids and enjoyed it when they were little.  I used a chronological Bible and we just read through it you can always get commentaries to help you understand it all.  I would encourage you to read the Bible and make that a priority because that is how God speaks to his children it is a "living" book.  Some books I have used as we were reading through to help (and it usually took us 2 years to get through it all) were:  Nelson's Complete Book of Bible Maps and Charts (great summary of the book and has maps and charts that are helpful)  I used What the Old Testament is About by Elmer Towns in college and I love this book!  It is out of print but you might could find it used.  It is a very easy read and explains passages very well.  He offers a New Testament as well.  I did many "curriculums" in the early years and was never satisfied they either repeat the stories over and over again or do "subject" or "topic" study and I wanted to study the scripture not just read stories.  Hope this makes sense.  Good luck!

• Like 2

I love the Rod and Staff Bible Readers grades 2-4 for an easy to understand but thorough coverage of the Bible stories. I feel like it is more in-depth, truer to Scripture, and sensitive to when children need clarification of culture or application than other Bible story books for kids. I use this on top of Awana for my younger kids. Plus, we doing a chronological daily family bible time together at least five nights a week. They read the readers on their own, study Awana verses for memorization, and we have discussions during family bible time. If we didn't have time for Awana club due to sports, I would work through booklets with them.

• Like 1

This may or may not fit your needs, but we are loving the Who is God series. You could combine it. You don't have to have the journals if you want to cut costs unless you want to do the extra assignments. The discussion questions are all in the book. The book is hardcover and full color and beautifully done with stories, scripture and narrative text. It goes through each of the facets of a Biblical Christian worldview and goes very deep. It addresses a lot of difficult questions. It has been perfect for my son who has started to wrestle with some of these questions and has been laying a good foundation. Highly recommend products from Summit Ministries.