Menu

Non SSRI medications to treat depression in teens?

fourcatmom

This has been on my mind a lot lately and after reading the other thread where you guys posted some great info, I thought I would ask as well.

It was recommended on Friday that dd go on an anti depressents and she starts counseling today. She is 13 and this is all post TBI (the concussion from the horse riding accident back in December). She has headaches, dizziness, loss of appetite, all sorts of emotions. They will be evluating her for depression and PTSD but the primary wanted her to start this.

The medicaiton he recommended and she started on Friday was amitriptyline.

I don't know if we are on the right path or not. I still don't know what is going on but I know she says she doesn't feel herself and she certaintly doesn't act it.

Anyone have experience with this medicaiton?

TIA

I am sorry I don't know anything about that particular medication.

When my sister needed antidepressants as a teen I know it took several adjustments to find something that worked for her and did not have intolerable side effects; you will want to be working closely with a good psychiatrist and keep a record of how she responds.

Best wishes!

We use Lamictal for depression. It is a seizure med that also helps mood/depression. Given her head injury it might be one worth asking about. You do have to start low and go up over a few weeks with the dose though. Lithium is also good for depression but requires regular blood tests to monitor.

We use Lamictal for depression. It is a seizure med that also helps mood/depression. Given her head injury it might be one worth asking about. You do have to start low and go up over a few weeks with the dose though. Lithium is also good for depression but requires regular blood tests to monitor.

Thank you. She was having "shaking episodes" and they did an EEG which did not rule out seizures and after talking with the counselor today and describing them, she is pretty convinced they were seizures. So maybe this would be a better option for her since it covers both.

Thanks!

I used Lamictal as well for depression. It worked great for me, but one side effect was a raging headache that wouldn't go away for most of the day. I told my psychiatrist, and she suggested taking it at night. Once I did that, there weren't anymore issues.

Just thought you might like to know if your DD does get put on it, you can be forewarned.