Menu

How much would you pay per hour for yard work?

Woodhaven

We have a very large yard (1 acre property with house) and have hired a guy to clean away the weeds and leaves.  He is not taking branches or leaves to the dump, dh is doing that.  When we first discussed price he said it would be around $1,000.  This is the 6th day he has been out here.  He works 4.5 hours a day, except for Sunday when he worked 8 hours.

Now he is saying we can pay him whatever we think is good.  How much would you pay?  We have never hired anyone to do yard work in the past and he works hard.  I'm beginning to think $1,000 may not be enough.  Thoughts?

• Like 1

We have a very large yard (1 acre property with house) and have hired a guy to clean away the weeds and leaves. He is not taking branches or leaves to the dump, dh is doing that. When we first discussed price he said it would be around $1,000. This is the 6th day he has been out here. He works 4.5 hours a day, except for Sunday when he worked 8 hours.

Now he is saying we can pay him whatever we think is good. How much would you pay? We have never hired anyone to do yard work in the past and he works hard. I'm beginning to think $1,000 may not be enough. Thoughts?

If he said a $1000, then that's what I would pay him. He saw the work required, agreed to it, and agreed to the price. I think it is unprofessional to expect to change the price afterwards and would not be willing to do so.

ETA: I might give a tip. Depends on how well and quickly he did the job.

• Like 3

Turns out there was a misunderstanding. 

The guy is a very intelligent and hard working Mexican-American guy who gets lots of work through the realtor.   Recently she began to sound  worried that his work would cost much more than we originally expected.  She called again this morning, and offered to help pay $400 toward the cost.  Back when she first suggested we hire this great guy she had said it would only cost us $450 for him to do the job, but he quoted us an estimate of $1000.  Turns out there was a misunderstanding and he now thought he quoted us a much smaller cost of $450.  Not sure how that happened - perhaps from talking to our realtor?!  What a mix up!

I'm crazy, but I feel like WE owe this guy for his work and turned down the realtor's money.  Crazy, I know.  My dh would have a fit if he knew I did that.  But we are expecting to pay the $1000 or somewhere around that. Whew!  I was beginning to think he wanted a lot over the original quote. Life's crazy!

Edited to say: Talked to DH and he is fine with what I did.  He agrees with me. : )

• Like 1

I would not pay for yard work (or most kinds of work) by the hour. IMHO, the person who is going to perform the work and the person who is going to pay for the work performed, should agree to a price BEFORE the work is begun.   We pay the man who cuts our grass more than we think it is worth. But, we pay him less when he trims the shrubs around the perimeter of the lot (back breaking work) than  we think it is worth, So it evens out. We are happy with him and he is happy with us.  Changing the terms, after the job is underway should not be permitted.

• Like 1

Turns out there was a misunderstanding.

The guy is a very intelligent and hard working Mexican-American guy who gets lots of work through the realtor. Recently she began to sound worried that his work would cost much more than we originally expected. She called again this morning, and offered to help pay $400 toward the cost. Back when she first suggested we hire this great guy she had said it would only cost us $450 for him to do the job, but he quoted us an estimate of $1000. Turns out there was a misunderstanding and he now thought he quoted us a much smaller cost of $450. Not sure how that happened - perhaps from talking to our realtor?! What a mix up!

I'm crazy, but I feel like WE owe this guy for his work and turned down the realtor's money. Crazy, I know. My dh would have a fit if he knew I did that. But we are expecting to pay the $1000 or somewhere around that. Whew! I was beginning to think he wanted a lot over the original quote. Life's crazy!

If he amazed you with his hard work how cool would it be to give him the $1000 he deserves and tell the realtor $200 for a tip would be generous and appreciated but you'll take care of the actual bill?

It depends. I'd pay $15 per hour and include lunch and dinner, which is what my mom used to do for our gardener. She also gave him a Christmas bonus to send back home to his family (he had a green card). Now, that was ten years ago, so maybe the going rate is higher. If it is landscape design instead of just basic yard work that would also make a difference. I'm paying a designer or architect, or someone putting in my landscaping, more than someone just maintaining my pre-existing landscape and hardscaping.