Menu

One month review after Singapore 1A/B What to use?

Sk8ermaiden

Hi, My DD has about a month left in Singapore 1B. She has expressed a desire to move straight into 2A as opposed to taking the summer easy with math games and review. However, I'd like to take a month to review the concepts we've done this year and really cement some of the things she seems to forget from lesson to lesson (addition/subtraction with regrouping seems to be the main culprit. We have to review with manipulatives every time it comes up, but then she gets it. Until next time...) 

I realize I can make up problems or print off free worksheets, but open and go gets done here. Plus she does the majority of her math work in the car. Is there anything that lines up with Singapore that would work for this? I have even thought about re-buying the workbook and picking pages here and there to do again, but I think she would balk at that. 

Have you already tried the Intensive Practice Books for the level? They are intended to be used as you're planning. (ETA: IP is written at a slightly harder level than the workbook, which I've found perfect for review. If the IPs are too hard, there are always the Extra Practice books; however, I found those to be far easier than the workbook and didn't find them valuable in our situation.)

Or Math Mammoth?

• Like 1

I would begin re-viewing weak spots right now, not after we had completed the book. This is giving mini-problems chance to be mountain problems.

If it were me, I would figure out which 3-5 topics that she always needs that extra-nudge on and do 1 or 2 of each type of problem every day until we finish the book. It really is that simple.

To make it "Open and Go" just take the time and print out sheets of those problems, cut the sheets into strips and staple/insert them between the pages of the childs workbook. For one hour tops of work, you can be prepared to do something logical and easy every day until you complete Singapore Grade 1 math.

Since the slips of paper are already in the book, then the first thing you do is your "math slip" and then your work pages. I do not understand this problem you describe at all.To my mind, what you suggest doing--waiting for later to address a problem that is apparent now, makes no sense. (I hope that is not the rude way of saying it, my English isn't "polished" or fluent.)  Practice number bonds every day--keep the stack of cards by your bedside or kitchen drawer. My kids do their math facts at meal times after setting the table and waiting to eat and again at night before sleeping.

Singapore Intensive Practice or Challenging Word Problems would work. If you want a change, then you could do the appropriate miquon on MEP worksheets to make it interesting. Good luck. (we also have the Extra Practice and the Tests books from SM and they were mostly boring and repetitive for DS).

• Like 1

Singapore IP is a good choice.  Or, you can buy the Singapore Testbooks for that grade level.  Its one way that I spiral review concepts for DS.  

I do agree with a PP, you might want to add spiral review in before she finishes the curriculum.  I add spiral review every week to DS' independent work folder.  I have a list of the concepts he's worked on and I go down that list, usually pulling extra WB pages, Testbook pages, IP pages, etc.  

• 2 weeks later...

Singapore IP is a good choice.  Or, you can buy the Singapore Testbooks for that grade level.  Its one way that I spiral review concepts for DS.  

I do agree with a PP, you might want to add spiral review in before she finishes the curriculum.  I add spiral review every week to DS' independent work folder.  I have a list of the concepts he's worked on and I go down that list, usually pulling extra WB pages, Testbook pages, IP pages, etc.  

I am about to begin 1A/1B with my son.  I am interested in hearing more about how you set up his independent work fold and how you organized the concepts.  This would be very helpful to a newbie.

• Like 1

I am about to begin 1A/1B with my son.  I am interested in hearing more about how you set up his independent work fold and how you organized the concepts.  This would be very helpful to a newbie.

For one, I lesson plan for an entire trimester at a time...usually about three months' worth.  Currently, I'm working on late spring and all of summer term.  

So I have a 3-ring binder with each week's schedule.  I have a schedule page for LA and a schedule page for math (DS on one side, DD on the other).  I have a binder for the oldest two, and a binder for the youngest two.  

As I plan each week, I can pretty much guestimate with DS, how much time he'll need for each chapter of Singapore.  It's harder to schedule this way with my middle son, as he doesn't catch on quite as quickly and may take more time.  

So I schedule eldest DS...I write down what lesson he'll be doing that day...the HIG page number, the textbook page number, and the corresponding workbook pages.  (I'll attach a photo of one of our weeks, if it will let me).  Within the binder, I have pocket folders that go for each week.  There's pockets on both sides...one pocket is for DS' work for that week, one pocket is for DD's work.  Within those pockets, I arrange the work by day.  Remember, I have as many as 12 weeks' of work in that binder, once I'm done lesson planning for the trimester.  

On my desk, I have the next two weeks' worth of folder work, M-F.  Every night, I grab the next days' folder, put the schoolwork in dry erase pockets, and leave the days' folders out for the kids for the next day.  At the end of each day, I wipe off the pockets (they use wet erase) and refile the school work.  (Actually, I collect schoolwork for about two weeks and THEN refile it all at once).  

So that's the background of our scheduling...lol.

I schedule math for my son by having new lessons just about every day...which means WB pages that correspond with the new lessons every day.  Then, he also has current review every day...so he'll have a page or so of that in his independent folder.  Current review is material from his most recent units...stuff he's just learned.  He has Word Problems, I think...3 times a week.  Logic/Critical thinking twice a week.  Back when he was mastering his facts, he had daily math fact drill...but now that's spiral review and that's where I loop older material in.  

So he has approx. four math pages in his independent work folder every day.  Now, when I call it independent work...that just means that he has to try it himself.  If he can't do it on his own, he brings it to me and we work on it together.  Most of the time, he can do the work on his own.  

ETA: I tried attaching a file, but it won't let me...says its too big.  I'm not good at attaching files, lol.  

Extra Practice (for on level problems of all types), Intensive Practice (for more challenging problems of all types), or Challenging Word Problems.  I used the CWP a level behind for review.  It hit on word problems (obviously) but it also allowed us to review the other skills (needed to do the word problems).

Some great suggestions here about using IP and creating a spiral review system. Do bear in mind as well that 2A begins with multi-digit addition and subtraction review, so rolling right into it might be exactly what your child needs without having to add anything else on.

In between SM1 B and SM2A I had my son do the book "Two Plus Two is Not Five" in order to memorize his math facts. SM2A is much easier if you have your addition and subtraction math facts down cold. It would take me son too long to mentally manipulate to make 10's when having to do multi-digit addition and subtraction.  He breezed through SM2 after having quick recall of +/- facts up to 20. 

I was thinking about cutting my spines off.  Something I've never done.  Then putting the HIG, textbook, workbook, all together with their corresponding pages.  Is this crazy?  Then I could add the appropriate review pages with each section.

I don't know. Have you used Singapore already and found that the different books are driving you up the wall? If you have, then you are the best judge of how to make these work for you, and if it involves cutting them up, then that's what you need to do.

I could definitely see cutting the spines off of the workbooks. 

I *personally* wouldn't enjoy the textbook ripped apart, nor would my dds. They like it as a complete resource.

I would not do well having the HIG pages mixed up with the student resources. For me, that would be an organizational nightmare.

I was thinking about cutting my spines off.  Something I've never done.  Then putting the HIG, textbook, workbook, all together with their corresponding pages.  Is this crazy?  Then I could add the appropriate review pages with each section.

You could do that.  Staples charges about $2 per spine; however, I would keep the HIGs intact, but that's me.  I haven't even opened my 1B HIG.

It's your homeschool, so make it work for you.