Menu

Homeschooling cheapskates!

4wildberrys

I find it so irritating when I try to sell my used curriculum what absolute nitpicking cheapskates people are!!!  I buy the stuff brand new, use it once and the used buyers want it for more than 50% off what I paid for it or they turn up their noses, or tell me the stuff is a bit dated etc.  Really?!  Why not have some dignity and just cough up a few dollars to educate your kids??  It's what I did, and we were one income and struggling in those days, especially once the kids got to high school.  But I was determined to give them the best.  I think I'll just donate all of my Apologia and other name brand, popular stuff because trying to sell to cheap, nitpickers has me flat out pissed.  This is the #1 reason I am SOO glad to be done homeschooling---the complete waste of money on buying new curriculum, and then the complete waste of my time and mental energy trying to resell to cheapskates!

• Like 2

Maybe others truly can't afford high prices and still want to provide their child with what they think is best. Seriously...all you have to do is say no thanks to their lower offers. I paid good money for used curriculum for the last 8 years, and would have no problem selling low or giving it away. Once my child uses it is of no use to me, so I would rather someone get it that can use it the same way I did.

Lol---pricing my used once curriculum at less than 50% what I paid new is practically giving it away in my eyes.  But yes, I am literally going to box the stuff up and give it to the charity out of Oklahoma that helps needy families.  Even locally, the cheapness of the mom's I have tried to sell to makes me cringe.  

• Like 1

It's a rare used item that will command anywhere near the new price.

When you buy new, you're paying premium --partly for the convenience of being able to get it when you need it.  Used shoppers have made the decision that that isn't important to them.  That cheap is better than getting the exact thing they want when they need it.

• Like 14

For me it isn't a matter of being cheap...it's a matter of not being able to afford huge prices AND still stay home to homeschool. I would guess for lots of moms, they don't really enjoy not being able to afford it, and it probably hurts the pride a little to have to ask for lower prices. I wouldn't begrudge anyone who tells me no...then again, if the price asked isn't in my budget, I would just pass it up in the first place.

No more than 50% for materials that have seen daily use over at least one school year has been the norm for a long time.

It's all I'll pay, after receiving so many dog eared, marked up, or slightly sticky books that were advertised as 'like new condition' online. I might pay more for something IRL if I can see it really is clean and crisp.

• Like 35

No more than 50% for materials that have seen daily use over at least one school year has been the norm for a long time.

It's all I'll pay, after receiving so many dog eared, marked up, or slightly sticky books that were advertised as 'like new condition' online. I might pay more for something IRL if I can see it really is clean and crisp.

I feel the same.  Thanks to the digital age I can send a pic or see a pic of what I am purchasing before committing.

It s frustrating when you do have something in like new condition and you can only sell it for pennies on the dollar.  I sell my curriculum so I can buy the next years curriculum and some years it is tougher then others to raise the funds needed.

• Like 3

I find it so irritating when I try to sell my used curriculum what absolute nitpicking cheapskates people are!!! I buy the stuff brand new, use it once and the used buyers want it for more than 50% off what I paid for it or they turn up their noses, or tell me the stuff is a bit dated etc. Really?! Why not have some dignity and just cough up a few dollars to educate your kids?? It's what I did, and we were one income and struggling in those days, especially once the kids got to high school. But I was determined to give them the best. I think I'll just donate all of my Apologia and other name brand, popular stuff because trying to sell to cheap, nitpickers has me flat out pissed. This is the #1 reason I am SOO glad to be done homeschooling---the complete waste of money on buying new curriculum, and then the complete waste of my time and mental energy trying to resell to cheapskates!

People aren't telling you that they don't want to give their kids "the best." They're telling you that they don't see your cast offs as the best. They're not telling you they have no dignity. They're telling you your price is too high.

If homeschooling was a complete (!) waste of money on materials, why did you buy curriculum that had no benefit to your family? Don't blame other people if your curriculum was a waste of money by your estimation but they don't want it, either. Why should they?

I don't think that's what you meant, though, because you said it was "the best." If your materials were good for your family and helped you educate your children well, that is not a waste of money. It's a usage of money. You got your money's worth, in other words.

I don't like how you are namecalling, judging, and painting homeschoolers as skinflints just because they don't want your overpriced leftovers. It could be that they'd like the convenience of apologia and Sonlight and would buy it if the price were right, but if the price is high they rightly figure that they can do better for free through the library.

• Like 28

No more than 50% is my target for used schoolbooks. When reselling, I price with a little room to haggle, so that all parties feel good about the deal.  Having been on the low-income side, I can understand the need to get the books needed at the lowest price.  Although we are now at the point that we can afford brand new books, I still have my book spreadsheet made out for next year with the lowest price new and I try to beat that.  I just get tired of people trying to sell used books for more than I can get them new at Rainbow Resource.  

• Like 16

I agree that it's frustrating that you can't sell things for more money when you've taken good care of them. I'm sorry.

But I agree with other posters that this is normal.  Once something is used- even if it's like new and you never actually used it- it loses a lot of its original monetary value.  That's just the way it is when you're trying to resell things.  I know some people feel like reselling curricula is worthwhile but it's never quite seemed worth it to me.

• Like 4

Im sorry you are having a hard time getting any money back out of your investments. I know that can be frustrating. But allow me to play devil's advocate for a minute.

I have never purchased any used curriculum or sold any, for the same reasons. Every time I search for used curriculum, the listings I find are offering only a small discount from the new purchase price. Then the used seller charges shipping when the new books would be sent to me for free. In the end it costs the same or maybe $5 less than new. Then you figure in that when you buy from an unknown individual online, there are added risks and chances. Will they even send this? Is it in the condition they say? How will they pack it? And with me, I am a worrier by nature, so I am nervous until I have that item in my hands.

Most of the curriculum writers and stores I shop offer discounts of 15-25% at some point through out the year, so for me the whole reason to buy used would be to save at least 40%. Think about the last time you visited a yard sale or thrift store. A pair of men's Levi's are $54 new without a discount but I dont know a single person who would spend $27 on a pair of them at a yard sale or Goodwill, even in "like new" condition. Now, I realize that books hold a bit more value than a pair of old shoes but the mentality is still there that if you are buying something used you expect it to be a good savings over new, not just a small discount. I feel the same way when I am at a store and I see a clearance sign or sticker. If it says "clearance" and they have marked it down from $39.99 to $35, I laugh on over to the next aisle.

All that being said, I would never tell someone that their stuff is dated or that they are asking too much. If you don't want to pay the asking price, there is no reason to comment to the seller at all, just keep shopping. Why be rude about it? 

I am sure that you are right and there are plenty of people out there who are just trying to get a deal, There is always that lady at the yard sale asking to give $1 for the leather jacket marked $3. But you might just consider if you are selling it at a rate that is at least a decent amount cheaper  than the original store would sell it for during a good annual sale and taking all shipping charges into account. If not, and someone passes on it, it isn't because they are a cheapskate. It might just be that they are a patient, savvy shopper and will just wait on that annual sale to buy it new for a couple bucks more.

• Like 15

I recently bought Apologia's Chem and physics high school books on Amazon for less than $5 shipped. They both are in almost new condition. That is the going rate.

My point......exactly!  Sold by a used book seller on Amazon---not a homeschool family trying to recoup a few hard earned dollars to buy the next years books.  And guess what---I bet YOU will go and resell these same books on Amazon for the same $5 or even ask up to $10---am I right??  I know I am. 

I homeschooled for 14 years and even at the beginning of my journey it was common to see used items selling for half the price of new. Some extremely popular items could have been higher, like 75%, but that was rare. Generally, if I was buying used, I never wanted to pay more than 50% or I'd just buy it new myself and know it truly was in like-new condition.

• Like 4

My point......exactly! Sold by a used book seller on Amazon---not a homeschool family trying to recoup a few hard earned dollars to buy the next years books. And guess what---I bet YOU will go and resell these same books on Amazon for the same $5 or even ask up to $10---am I right?? I know I am.

I bought WWE for $6 on Amazon. When I was done, I sold it for the cost of shipping.

You're not buying next year's books.

• Like 2

My point......exactly!  Sold by a used book seller on Amazon---not a homeschool family trying to recoup a few hard earned dollars to buy the next years books.  And guess what---I bet YOU will go and resell these same books on Amazon for the same $5 or even ask up to $10---am I right??  I know I am. 

So?  You should have bought used then.  The way that buying and selling works is that brand new things cost more than used.  (Ever buy a car?  They start to depreciate the moment you drive it off of the lot!)  Your expectations were unrealistic.  It seems strange to rant at others because of it.  

• Like 25

This is a very rude assumption. I buy tons of books used on Amazon and when we are done I give everyone of them to my niece or donate them to the library or Habitat. So since you do not know this person, you do NOT know you are right about anything they will do with their purchases.

• Like 10

I sell used books for extra money, unless it is a high demand book or rare and still sought after then 50% of new is extremely common. It's just the nature of the market. People aren't being cheap they are buying your used items at a price they are willing to pay. At some price they are willing to just spend the extra for the security of getting it new and being able to return. If their price is too low you move on. Also in selling you have to be willing to either negotiate or just skip the person and ignore their comments.

• Like 1

OK---so comment on this:  I have an almost brand new set of Apologia Physics---my son didn't even use the test pack.  So whole, complete set.  I also have a Logos Physics experiment kit I paid $240 ----I have the entire set priced at $120 INCLUDING shipping.  So does this sound like too much?  It stresses me out even asking....

I've had good luck selling things that are like new on Amazon.  Have you tried that?

ETA:  On Amazon you can see what other people are selling the used but like new item for, so you're more objective about what something is actually worth.

I wouldn't jump at 50% off a used item unless I could see that most of the "like new" ones were being sold for 80%.

• Like 2

Sorry you are frustrated. Maybe think of it as the great investment in your kids'educatiin that it was, and let it go to another family?

I give away all of our curriculum after we use it. We know homeschooling families that will use it, and it feels good to send it along to them. I give them the used stuff, and the stuff that's practically brand new because we tried it and it didn't fit our style. If I can't find anyone to take it, I offer it on freecycle.

• Like 1

My point......exactly! Sold by a used book seller on Amazon---not a homeschool family trying to recoup a few hard earned dollars to buy the next years books. And guess what---I bet YOU will go and resell these same books on Amazon for the same $5 or even ask up to $10---am I right?? I know I am.

People who buy used are doing so to save money. Most of them have been burned in the past because their is risk in buying used. That 5 dollar purchase from an amazon seller is a safer bet than buying from you(assuming you are selling on a curriculum site) because amazon will help you recoup loses if the seller doesn't list the condition properly or something else is wrong. No one is being cheap by trying to get a lower price for a riskier buy.

If you want to be upset at someone be upset at the huge amazon sellers who have saturated the market to make your book worth less.

• Like 3

This is a very rude assumption. I buy tons of books used on Amazon and when we are done I give everyone of them to my niece or donate them to the library or Habitat. So since you do not know this person, you do NOT know you are right about anything they will do with their purchases.

Exactly. Even buying used, I have never spent any less than 250-300 a year on books and supplies. That means that I have had to save all year in order to buy the books my daughter will use the next year. I have never turned around and sold a single book. I have passed them on to others that were on a budget like I am. Mainly because I know that most people looking for a deal on books aren't doing it because they are cheap, but because the price of the books is a big hit to their budget that they may not be able to afford. It makes me feel good to be able to bless someone with the chance to educate their child at home. If someone is trying to haggle you...say no. If you are venting because of the assumption that you HAVE to price low in order for people to buy...well they ARE used. I just find it insulting that you assume to know the intent of potential buyers, without knowing their reasons for wanting to pay less. The money I spend on books is an investment in my child's education. I buy it to give her a good base of knowledge...not with the intent to get my money back.

OK---so comment on this:  I have an almost brand new set of Apologia Physics---my son didn't even use the test pack.  So whole, complete set.  I also have a Logos Physics experiment kit I paid $240 ----I have the entire set priced at $120 INCLUDING shipping.  So does this sound like too much?  It stresses me out even asking....

For the Apologia and Logos set??  Sounds like a great deal!!  It will cost you a fortune to mail that physics set.

• Like 2

Did he use the experiment kit?  Were any of the items in the kit consumable and used up?  

No, the physics stuff is all nonconsumable.  

And yes, it will cost a fortune to mail but I was trying to be as generous as possible, which I why I decided to come here and vent.

I can understand your frustration if you've priced it at that 50% level or less and then get the emails asking for additional money off.   I wonder if some people just automatically assume the price should be haggled over?  When I see a listing, if I feel that the price is too high, I just ignore it.  If I have an item that has not sold in quite some time, I start dropping the price, if I can, assuming I had it priced too high.

I hate those emails that ask for an additional $ amount off.  I always feel selfish if I turn them down but on the other hand, sometimes it's just not worth the hassle and usually I have mine listed at the minimum anyway.  I've had emails asking me to drop the price on a $10 book . . . well, that's my minimum.  If I drop it below $10 then it goes in the trash because it's not worth the time and effort to mail.  (I'm not sure that $10 is even worth it anymore.)

• Like 4

I wouldn't buy a science supplies kit used.

This is one area that annoys me, a little, because while we do a good job in math and science and all students get through calculus and physics, I don't LOVE it. I'd rather spend hundreds of dollars on humanities -- books, books, books, books, books, and some maps -- than to spend a fortune on lab supplies. But I do buy extensive lab supplies every year, and I purchase new, because (again) I've been burned before on supposedly "like new" used materials being slightly damaged or with parts missing. Sometimes people don't know what they're selling and aren't even aware that a certain tool is actually worthless if slightly dented, etc.

When I buy lab supplies during sale days from online vendors, I get a good price, free shipping, and a pretty good guarantee that I can return something if it's wrong and they'll make it right.

• Like 1

But market value is not determined by who is selling it. If I can get it for $5, why would I spend $50 to buy it from you? Unless you're the Midas family, it just doesn't make sense. 

• Like 8

Selling science kits is hard. Your price is fair for all you mentioned but finding a buyer can be hard. There is a higher risk that something is missing or broken and you will either lie about it or not notice. Then there is the chance you package it wrong so it breaks in transit. With no money back guarantee people will want to either risk less of their money or not risk it at all. Your buyer is out there I'm sure you just have to put up with the others in the meantime.

• Like 4

Perhaps there is just a glut in the market of used Physics materials (or whatever else you're selling).  As homeschooling becomes more popular, and more materials become available, it follows that more used materials would be come available as well.  

It seems reasonable to me that many families who use high school science materials will barely use them, so there might just be a lot of the same materials in excellent conditional available for sale.  Wise shoppers will weigh the costs and risks, and make their choices.  If there are many choices available, the prices will drop accordingly.   Why pay more for the exact same thing?  It's really not personal at all.  It's the simple rule of supply and demand.

• Like 2

What about the homeschool family trying to save a few hard-earned dollars by buying from a less expensive seller?  You may be trying to fund raise, but the buyer is also trying to save their money.  That doesn't make them (or you) a cheap skate.

I hate to say it, but your materials are only worth what someone will pay for them, not what you need to recoup for next year's books.

I get being annoyed by someone asking for a lower price, but in that case, I would just put something about your price being firm in your listing an ignoring such requests.  If your materials are worth what you priced them at, then they will sell despite the people trying to ask for a better deal.

• Like 2

But market value is not determined by who is selling it. If I can get it for $5, why would I spend $50 to buy it from you? Unless you're the Midas family, it just doesn't make sense. 

This. 

I price check before buying used, sorry. If I can get it from a verified seller elsewhere, in similar condition, for less money, I'm going to.

Also, if it IS a dated edition, you're going to get less. 

• Like 2

Why would it matter who is selling it?

You're taking this too personally. It's supply and demand, like any other market. 

• Like 3

50% IMHO should be the *Maximum* asking price for a Used book, assuming it is in "Good" condition or better. The Buyer is the one who is in control, regarding what something is worth. If there is no agreement between the Seller and the Buyer, they should be courteous and part with no hard feelings.

This morning, my wife said that my Stepson and his wife are going to buy a new Printer. I mentioned to her, again, that when I buy something New, I consider the warranty is 50% of what I have purchased. A used Printer, I wouldn't pay more than 25%, if it was one day old and the warranty wasn't transferable.

Possibly the OP should look on eBay and see what that Physics kit is selling for (look at the "Sold listings".)    It is very easy to put a selling price on an item and find that nobody will buy it for that price. And, sometimes, I see people paying way more on eBay than the item is worth, so they can "win" the auction.

Yes, large Sellers on Amazon can and do sell some books for one cent +$3.99 shipping and they make about 30 or 40 cents profit on the transaction.  Sometimes, as with 1 or 2 textbooks I have purchased for DD, it is because some of the textbook sellers got into a "price war" (actually their pricing software handled their price war tactics). Other times, it is  because there is a glut of them for sale. Supply and Demand.

DD is currently using a Math textbook I purchased from a very reputable Amazon Marketplace Seller for one cent plus shippng. It is in very nice condition. She is also using a Science textbook I purchased from the same Seller, for $33.42 plus shipping, that isn't in as good condition.

Am I a Cheapskate, to use the word in the title of this thread? I don't think so. I am retired and we are existing on very little income, so if we can save $ on some of the textbooks DD needs, that is a Blessing for our family.

• Like 10

One, you have no idea who the used bookseller is. It's just as possible it's another home schooler or a small used home school bookstore.

Two, so what if they turn around and sell it for $5-$10 too.

I think it's pointless to get upset bc you want to be paid far more than the going rate for used materials. No one is obligated to supply you with a higher price bc you demand it. That's not what supply and demand means. It's not the buyers problem that you chose to pay the brand new retail price instead of buying used yourself.

I have no issue with buying new, but you should never presume you will get back anything reselling it. And if that is very important to you, a simple search would let you know what to expect and take that into consideration before buying the new materials.

• Like 3

One idea--

I used to go to my local hs convention. They had a used book section, very popular. Prices were generally higher tha Amazon or Abebooks, but books sold fast. My sense is that people are more apt to buy when they actually have the items in their hands, and also when other shoppers are trying to get their hands on it, lol.

Maybe a hs convention could be a good place to sell?

Btw, I buy lots of books used, but I only buy when they can be returned. A used curriculum with multiple parts, no guarantee of return? Risky, IMO. A used science kit? I would not want to pay anything without actually seeing.

• Like 3

It depends.

What is the current price of the Logos experiment kit? The new price may have dropped since you purchased it.