Menu

"I'm interested" What does it mean?!?

Heidi

I'm selling a couch on Facebook/classifieds group and people respond with, "I'm interested". What does that mean, other than the obvious? Does it mean they are thinking about it? Does it mean I'm waiting for them to make up their mind and they have first dibs?

One lady asked me a few questions about it and then ended with, "I'm interested." What do I say/do? Just wait? Offer my location and time available to have it picked up?

Last time I sold something on facebook a lot of people commented "I'm interested" and I ignored them and sold it to the first person offering to pay and pick it up, and I had a lot of angry people at me, as if they were in line and I had to wait for them to make up their minds. So I'm confused.

Hmm... well, if I said that, I'd mean I need to know more before buying. I'd probably want to see it to verify its condition and see if I can get the price lower. Are you prepared to show it before you sell it, or do you have pics up and people just have to decide based on those?

• Like 2

In my experience, it means I (the buyer) am putting my self in line to buy the item. It is now up to you (the seller) to initiate a where and when to pick up exchange.

ETA On FB, this next exchange is often taken to private messaging.

• Like 5

I'd assume it means "I'm interested; how do we move forward?"

If someone told me they were interested and left it at that, I'd ask follow-up questions - "when you do want to come over and see it?" or whatever is appropriate to the item. If they hesitated, I'd tell them that I wouldn't/couldn't wait for them, and if a buyer came along I would sell it right away.  

I guess I would be annoyed if I told someone I was interested, but they just ignored me and sold to someone else... though if I was interested in something, I would say "I'm interested; when can I come and see it?"

• Like 6

If someone told me they were interested and left it at that, I'd ask follow-up questions - "when you do want to come over and see it?" or whatever is appropriate to the item. If they hesitated, I'd tell them that I wouldn't/couldn't wait for them, and if a buyer came along I would sell it right away.

I guess I would be annoyed if I told someone I was interested, but they just ignored me and sold to someone else... though if I was interested in something, I would say "I'm interested; when can I come and see it?"

That's what I do as a buyer as well. I find it annoying as a seller to chase down or wait for buyers to respond.

• Like 1

When I have said that I'm interested, I have meant that I want it but would like to see it first before I commit to handing the actual money over.  As long as it is in the condition listed and pictures weren't taken at an angle to hide flaws, I would like to purchase it.

Means I want it - BUT they need to make an offer or meet your price asap, I do not think folks should assume they have an item on hold just because they say they are interested.  Email them back "If you want it, say so and make an offer/arrange payment within two hours or the next person gets it."

Maybe folks need to add "Sold to first person who offers payment.  Don't just say you are "interested".  "

• Like 3

I'm a member of a FB sale group where it is required (unless you specifically say "best offer" or something like that) to gives dibs in the order that people comment with any definite interest (so, not to a person who says "are there any stains on that shirt", but yes to the person who says "I'm interested".) The expectation is that the person publicly posts interest in buying, then takes the conversation to Private message to figure out details. If seller can't work out price/time/location with the first buyer, they move to the next in the list. It puts a lot more pressure on the seller to contact each person in line (popular items often have a line of people saying "next" after the first person saying "I'm interested"), but I think the group owners feel like it is a fair way to deal with a large, busy group.

• Like 3

In my consignment sites it essentially means dibs and you have to go in order of who expressed interest first. They do it this way because people would offer more money and then other buyers would start arguing. I like first dibs but at the same time the downside is people can be quite flakey.

Why do you see it as a game? For many, it is the expected way to proceed in a sale.

:iagree: It sounds like your expectations about how the sales should be handled are different from the norm. If that's the case, you should be more explicit in your initial offer.

• Like 1

When I am faced with this, I will skip over some people who respond in favor of people who seem more on the ball.  Sometimes that isn't an option, but I've dealt with enough flaky people that I will opt to skip some responders and go with someone who seems more together.  Some who respond, "I'm interested," are no doubt on the ball, but if someone comes across as more serious and organized, I will opt for that person.  I used to try to handle it in order of interest, but I was burned too many times to bother.

I remember when we were moving one time and put a lot on CL and freecycle, and I literally had people email me things like, "I want it."  Nothing else.  Ummmm...well, you don't get it LOL.

In the same vein, when I really want an item, I have sometimes suspected I am successful in jumping over other responders because I will offer a few locations, days, times, etc. that work for me, that we have a truck or uhaul available (for say something like furniture or other large items), etc.  I also look for those types of responses if I have a choice when I am a seller.

• Like 1

Within a specific Facebook sale/classifieds group, part of the "I'm interested" definition is going to depend on the group's guidelines. I'm in a local FB classifieds group and there are very specific guidelines for following order of comments, posting "Interested" versus other comments, items can't be "make an offer," etc. If they aren't followed for sales, the moderators in our group can boot members off.

Erica in OR

What's the group rules?  Do they have a pinned post with something in that?  In the local Facebook group I'm in, the rules are laid out and quite strict - the buyer must post "I'm interested" and then the seller PMs the first interested party.  If the buyer PMs, the seller is supposed to move on to the next one, unless the seller has indicated that they want the first interested person to PM him or her.  This is to prevent the seller from being overwhelmed with PMs from buyers.  It seemed draconian at first, but now that I've both bought and sold stuff, I can see that it keeps the group running smoothly with a minimum of drama!

• Like 1

Our groups generally allow the buyer to sell to whomever he or she wishes. This is often necessary as there is a lot of cross posting. Someone claiming dibs on one site may have no idea that they were "beat out" by someone on another site.  If you put down "Interested" you generally need to follow up with a PM to the seller establishing contact. I find it works best if I write, "Interested. Sent you a PM."  Certain items get pretty popular. After the first couple "Interesteds", people waiting in line usually reserve their spot in line by simply responding with "Next". 

People on some groups wanted to be able to force a seller to sell to them simply because they were first in line. I really had no desire to deal with people like that, as they often threw hissy fits when they thought something wasn't fair. No way will I engage with someone like that. You need to feel as if you can trust the people you are meeting, so the rules let the sellers call the shots. Drama went way down after that. 

• Like 1

I'm selling a couch on Facebook/classifieds group and people respond with, "I'm interested". What does that mean, other than the obvious? Does it mean they are thinking about it? Does it mean I'm waiting for them to make up their mind and they have first dibs?

One lady asked me a few questions about it and then ended with, "I'm interested." What do I say/do? Just wait? Offer my location and time available to have it picked up?

Last time I sold something on facebook a lot of people commented "I'm interested" and I ignored them and sold it to the first person offering to pay and pick it up, and I had a lot of angry people at me, as if they were in line and I had to wait for them to make up their minds. So I'm confused.

Just because someone is "interested" does not mean she has the money and is going to get in the car and drive over to your house. 

You might try wording your ad such that it's clear that the first person who offers to pay and pick up the item gets it, regardless of any "interest."

I feel the same way about doing field trips for my homeschool support group. I don't want to know if people are "interested." I only want their money, because they are not committed otherwise. But I digress... :D

• Like 1

It means they want to buy it.  I would respond.  "Great!  When can you pay and pick it up?"  or else tell them when you are available for them to pay and pick it up.  I would be confused as a buyer if you sold it to someone else since I just told you that I wanted it.  

Except that saying you're "interested" is not the same thing as saying that you actually want it.

• Like 1

You might try wording your ad such that it's clear that the first person who offers to pay and pick up the item gets it, regardless of any "interest."

This is a good tack. The clearer you are about your expectations when you post an offer, the better. Before I gave up on Freecycle, my posts became more and more detailed—telling people exactly what I was offering, adding a photo or two, and saying specifically that it would go to the first person who could pick it up. When I arranged for a pickup and had a commitment, I would make sure they knew if it wasn't picked up by XYZ time then it would be offered to the next person. It cut down on the responses from people hemming and hawing and acting like they'd be doing me a huge favor to take it, and I ignored the responses from people who didn't pay attention to my post.

Our facebook group has some pretty specific rules.  We can not do FCFS and we have to go in order of people's comments.  People state interested to get in line for an item.  As seller, you are to go in order down the list to reply to them to ask if they are still interested and when they would like to come get the item.  If you don't go down the list, people get pretty irritated.

So, for us, interested means that they are interested and are waiting on you to see where they are in line and what your next move is.

• Like 1

it varies.

I'm interested in buying your item if I dont' first find something I like better.

I'm interested, but not really serious about buying anything right now.

I'm interested in seeing your item, but too lazy to ask when can I come see it.

I'm interested in your item, but don't know if it will work in my space.  (even though, they would need to actually see it in person.)

this reply irritates me too. it's not worth it to me to send a snarky reply of

---"and?  whadda ya wanna do about it?"

sometimes I do include a serious replies will include a phone number, or time you can come see the item, etc.  some posters leave it as "serious replies only".  I was selling my mom's car - and after examining it, one guy wanted me to hold it for four hours until his son got out of school.  no. as soon as you leave, I will go call the next person on the list.  I compromised and waited 30 minutes while he ran to a bank for cash.

Our facebook group has some pretty specific rules.  We can not do FCFS and we have to go in order of people's comments.  People state interested to get in line for an item.  As seller, you are to go in order down the list to reply to them to ask if they are still interested and when they would like to come get the item.  If you don't go down the list, people get pretty irritated.

So, for us, interested means that they are interested and are waiting on you to see where they are in line and what your next move is.

and a good reason not to sell through a facebook group.  glad to know that.

one thing I do like about craigslist (and freecycle) - I can be a little more discretionary with whom I deal.  especially on freecycle - people will respond they want something/are interested just to get in line.  not because they're serious.  then you never hear from them again - even if you respond to them the item is available.  I had one woman on freecycle who came across very entitled.  I skipped her.  then she got irate because I gave the item to someone else.  "I was first in line" (actually, since the responses don't go to the group, she didn't know where she was in line, other than she responded fairly quickly. she wasn't first.)

I've bought and sold a lot of thing through craigslist.  when I get a "I'm interested" and ONLY an "I'm interested" (or the lazy 'interested') - it sends a message to me that they aren't *serious*, but more likely just looking.

to me a serious buyer includes at least their phone number.  and A  NAME.

I've had too many times when that's the response to an ad, I send off a reply, and never hear from them again.  now, I automatically delete any response to an ad that only says "I'm interested".

• Like 1

Maybe.  But their response to my asking when they want to pay for it and pick it up is going to make that clear, right?

I shouldn't have to ASK the potential buyer when they want to pay for it and pick it up.  they should make that offer in their initial reply to my ad.

I hate that phrase.  Either you want it or you don't.  Just say, "I want this, where can we meet" or don't say anything.   If you  have a question, ask it.

I am not waiting 12 hours while you figure out what YOU meant by "I'm interested."

Can you tell this is a pet peeve of mine?

• Like 2