Menu

How do you store your bread products?

HSinNH

DH gets so disappointed when the bagels are carelessly tossed on top of the bread and it ends up smooshed   :thumbdown: .  So, in order to save the poor man some angst, I need a solution. Currently, I have a plastic bin in which bread products are stored. I try to stand things up and organize them, but it doesn't always work. So, with BBQ season just around the corner, we will be having lots of buns around. How do you store yours?

We just have them on the counter, with harder things on the bottom. But we also don't usually have more than 2 types of bread out at a time, and not too much of that.

Mostly we keep bread in the freezer, or buy it the day (or day before) we need it. 

We don't always have bread around, but when we do sandwich bread goes in the breadbox, bagels and buns go in the freezer (we'd never eat them fast enough to go through a whole package), and tortillas go in the fridge.

Bread gets smooshed by bagels? I'm trying to visualize how that's possible?

Ours is just out on the counter.  I'm not all that picky about having things stored and we don't have bug problems that would interfere.  We also don't have that much.

Some loaves we keep in the freezer now that we're empty nesting, but only those we plan to use toasted as I dislike thawed room temp bread.  Before empty nesting it never lasted long enough to worry about.

Anything that molds goes to our chickens, so it's not a big problem.

People are going to call me out for this, I'm sure, but we keep our bread in a drawer in our fridge.  In our climate I have found that if we keep it on the counter it tends to mold in just a couple of days, and I can't afford the time to go to the store every day just for bread.  We haven't noticed much of a change in texture or flavor from storing it in the fridge, and it keeps far longer.

Bread products used less often go in the freezer until needed.  They thaw quickly enough.

• Like 1

People are going to call me out for this, I'm sure, but we keep our bread in a drawer in our fridge.  In our climate I have found that if we keep it on the counter it tends to mold in just a couple of days, and I can't afford the time to go to the store every day just for bread.  We haven't noticed much of a change in texture or flavor from storing it in the fridge, and it keeps far longer.

Bread products used less often go in the freezer until needed.  They thaw quickly enough.

IIRC, you're in Florida, right? We have to do the same thing. It doesn't matter if it's store bought bread or homemade, it will mold in a few days. I usually leave it out the first two days so we can have fresh (aka non-refrigerated) bread, then it has to go into the fridge. I can't tell you how many loaves I've had to throw away because I missed the window between soft/fresh and moldy.

ETA: For those unaware, this happens even in a climate controlled (air-conditioned) environment. 

Out on the counter.  We usually have 1 loaf of bread and 1 package of bagels out. They hang out by the Kitchen Aid mixer.  My kids go through a loaf of ww bread in about 2 days, so no worries about mold.  I keep 3-5 loaves in the freezer to pull out as needed.

I freeze most of it.  We usually have homemade or some kind of fancy organic/bakery bread.  They tend to get stale or moldy really fast, so freezing is the best option.

Some is in the refrigerator because people don't want to thaw bread to make their lunches when they're rushing out in the morning.

If we're planning a bbq, the buns just sit out on the table for the day or two between buying and using.  Usually on TOP of the bananas that also sit out.

Some is in the refrigerator because people don't want to thaw bread to make their lunches when they're rushing out in the morning.

This is why I don't freeze it unless it's an extra loaf. Unless they're going to just toast it, dh and ds don't want to wait for it to thaw. I tried pre-slicing and bagging it before freezing, but they still didn't use it unless I reminded them to thaw some out the night before. I just gave up. Bread we're currently using goes in the fridge. Extra bread goes in the freezer.

OP, this freezer vs. fridge bunny trail doesn't help you.

I know how your dh feels. We have a slide-out basket drawer under our butcher block cart where i store bread. I'm always careful to put soft stuff on top, but dh and ds don't always pay attention. I keep soft bread that's not refrigerated off to the side on our butcher block. It's a pain to move it when I need the whole surface but I don't need the full surface often, and to me the inconvenience is better than squished bread.