Menu

what did you do after CLE math level 7?

Dd (13) is finishing up CLE math 7. I'm not sure whether we will do level 8. I'm pretty sure we will be leaving CLE at some stage because the higher levels haven't been updated and I don't like the look of the current editions.

So..... if you switched from CLE math around this level (give or take a year) what did you switch to? (please include level too). 

I need some ideas so I can start to research.  

Also, how well is your child doing with CLE?

As I understand it level 800 is quite robust and an excellent way to lead into Algebra 1. If CLE has been working well you might accelerate through the 800 series, skipping quizzes and some of the review and just work a fews days a week through the summer and early fall. You could stay with CLE and just keep going through Algebra 1 then switch for Geometry/Algebra II. The CLE Algebra is supposed to be pretty solid.

• Like 1

Thanks :) actually I should have mentioned that she struggles a bit with math. She's working below grade level. I wouldn't be surprised if she tested into a pre algebra level if I were to try out the placement tests of other curriculum. 

Short term goal is lay a strong foundation so she is ready for algebra, whenever she is ready for algebra. She's not likely to head into a STEM career but obviously I want her to do the best with math that she can.

A lot of CLE users move into saxon. Not sure if that is the way we will go though.  

Yes, we might go into CLE 8. Still not sure about their algebra though. The fact that they haven't updated algebra II makes me pause. 

If she does well with CLE then maybe stick with it as long as possible. Saxon is apparently fairly easy to transition to from CLE so you could just switch to Saxon for Algebra II. Especially with a child that struggles I would hesitate to switch when the progam being used is solid and its working. But are there samples you and your child could review? Maybe Give her the Saxon placement test to see where she'd place?

• Like 3

If she does well with CLE then maybe stick with it as long as possible. Saxon is apparently fairly easy to transition to from CLE so you could just switch to Saxon for Algebra II. Especially with a child that struggles I would hesitate to switch when the progam being used is solid and its working. But are there samples you and your child could review? Maybe Give her the Saxon placement test to see where she'd place?

If you continue with CLE--and if it works, then you should continue with it, IMO--I would give the Saxon Placement test after CLE 800 or CLE Algebra, instead of just placing her in Saxon Algebra because Saxons Algebra 1, 2 and Advanced Math are different from many others in that they have a Geometry text split between/integrated into them, instead of just separated. Plus, the coverage of topics is a little different from CLE.

• Like 1

Hi, I'm a year or so behind you but wondering where to go after CLE 6. I have Lial's BCM but I think i am going to continue with CLE for 7 and 8 and then move into Lial's Algebra. I really like CLE and my kids thrive with it (well, they don't cry anymore which is my definition of thriving :lol: )

• Like 1

I really like CLE and my kids thrive with it (well, they don't cry anymore which is my definition of thriving :lol: )

I know exactly what you mean :) 

So does anyone choose anything else other than saxon for their post CLE math?  

Also, it worries me that I can't do two years of Algebra with the updated editions; only the first one has been updated. Does it matter? 

I would just continue with CLE's new Algebra. We've just completed it here and I would recommend it to others if you've had success with CLE before. It really does cover the standard Algebra I material so that you could easily move into any other Algebra II course.  While I've also used Foerster's and Lial's, I prefer CLE for its incremental nature overall. The constant mixed review is helpful and the defined daily lessons make lesson planning much simpler than the other textbooks. CLE also seems to have a good sense of what's a reasonable amount of work for each day.

I can understand the desire to have a clear curriculum path but personally I don't really think it's important to stay with a single series unless it's an integrated one. At the higher levels, they all pretty much cover the same topics and the difference is really in the presentation. 

• Like 6

I would just continue with CLE's new Algebra. We've just completed it here and I would recommend it to others if you've had success with CLE before. It really does cover the standard Algebra I material so that you could easily move into any other Algebra II course.  While I've also used Foerster's and Lial's, I prefer CLE for its incremental nature overall. The constant mixed review is helpful and the defined daily lessons make lesson planning much simpler than the other textbooks. CLE also seems to have a good sense of what's a reasonable amount of work for each day.

I can understand the desire to have a clear curriculum path but personally I don't really think it's important to stay with a single series unless it's an integrated one. At the higher levels, they all pretty much cover the same topics and the difference is really in the presentation. 

That's good to hear. I wasn't even sure of the quality of the new algebra since it is a "preliminary edition". 

Guess I will be back here in a few years time asking what people have done after CLE Algebra  :lol: Or maybe they will have released Algebra II by then! Thanks

• Like 1

I thought I would let you know that I did send an email to CLE inquiring about the upper levels of math.  They responded that they are indeed working on updating Algebra II and Geometry right now.  However, they admit that it may be a couple of years or more before those are complete and ready for publication.  Algebra I is complete in its currently updated light unit form, but will apparently eventually change formats to a textbook instead of Light Units.

Best wishes.

• Like 2

I thought I would let you know that I did send an email to CLE inquiring about the upper levels of math.  They responded that they are indeed working on updating Algebra II and Geometry right now.  However, they admit that it may be a couple of years or more before those are complete and ready for publication.  Algebra I is complete in its currently updated light unit form, but will apparently eventually change formats to a textbook instead of Light Units.

Best wishes.

Wow, that's news to me. I hadn't heard that they were planning on changing Algebra to a textbook format.  I guess it won't affect us though. Thanks for reporting back. 

• Like 1

Wow, that's news to me. I hadn't heard that they were planning on changing Algebra to a textbook format.  I guess it won't affect us though. Thanks for reporting back. 

They said it would be a few years.  They intend to add in color and condense everything into a textbook format.  I didn't follow up with questions about why.  I guess I should have  but I didn't want to seem rude and since I haven't anything to compare the light unit version to, I have no idea if the textbook format would be worse, better or about the same (or I might have complained a bit)...:)

• Like 1

From what I understand about CLE, you can go straight from 700 to Algebra 1 if you have a good math student. I had my dd do CLE 800 because she wasn't math oriented. I didn't see a need for her to do Algebra 1 in 8th grade. She went from CLE 800 to Lial's Algebra 1 very easily, then on to BJU Geometry, and then back to Lial's for Algebra 2. She did well with all of them, but BJU was my least favorite. She did her 4th math credit, College Algebra, as a dual enrollment class locally. 

Ds is my math kid, but he's young for his grade level. I want to use Lial's books with him. I may supplement here and there with common core standards if I see that the ACT or SAT will align as well. Statistics is throughout math in CC, but it's not included in many traditional algebra textbooks. If he's ready for Algebra 1 after CLE 700, I'll switch then. 

• Like 2