Menu

RightStart for 1st grader and Pre-K

Guest MamatoDDEE

Guest MamatoDDEE

I am planning to use Right Start B with my 1st grader this coming school year.

I also have a Pre-K (next year!) son who is convinced he is currently in kindergarten because he and his brother are inseparable. This will be the first year that I am separating them for math and reading (it's time!). I am wondering what math to use with my Pre-K son...

I don't really want to buy A and B, but I think B woudl be too difficult too quickly and I want this to be a confidence booster for him. Should I consider something else altogether or just suck it up and do both levels?

Could you use parts of B to explain some basic concepts and then play lots of games? That would mean not spending any more money. If it were me I would get A (sorry). Many people find that repeating the concepts again in B is beneficial.

• Like 1

Are you doing 1st edition or 2nd edition?  1st edition copies of the A teacher's manual should be pretty cheap used.  Check out the RightStart yahoo group -- I've often seen used TMs for sale there.  Even if you are doing 2nd edition with the older, you could probably do the 1st edition A with the younger just to keep him happy. :-)  The worksheets are a very thin packet for A and pretty inexpensive, but since there are so few of them you could almost do without them for a Pre-K child in A.

While I would get A, you could use the concepts in the review lessons in B to get an idea of what needs to be covered before starting B and make it up as you go along. A spends most of the year working on recognizing and building numbers 1-10 with tally sticks, colored tiles, fingers, and the abacus. It then moves on to "parts of 10" - quickly recognizing what pairs of numbers add up to 10, for which you continue to use the aforementioned manipulatives and the game Go To The Dump. If you're child will be satisfied without a full program, focus on these topics with him.

If he is ready and interested, you could add in the Time and Money workbooks from Kumon. That would then allow you to skip those sections (or gloss over them, as you wish) when you hit them in RightStart B.

If money is tight, you could choose to do the first thirty or forty lessons or so of RS B with the pre-Ker, and just spread each lesson out over a week, playing lots of games to reinforce skills and and making up your own, similar, examples. When the concept has been mastered, move on. 

Emily

• Like 1

Guest MamatoDDEE

EmilyGF - that is what I was wanting to hear! I might buy B and see if I can get by with it and then order A if I can't make it work! 

I have been doing exactly what EmilyGF suggested with my dd4. We have been doing this for a few weeks, and now she can reliably recognize quantities up to 6 (Lessons 1-3 in RS B). I also look at the table of contents for RS A online to get an idea of what else would be added at that level. We spent some time with patterns and making rectangles with tiles, for example. That mixes up what we are doing a bit so we are not doing number recognition every day. We are also working on the song 'Yellow is the Sun.' Dd4 has it memorized, but she hasn't been able to apply and understand what it means yet. But she is 4! I'm not worried, and she is happy to be 'doing school.'