Menu

When your kids are driving home and you don't get a text when expected, don't...

Liz CA

...google the accident reports for the route.

Ds and his friend rode into CA from ID on their motorcycles to attend a family wedding this weekend. They left early yesterday morning to avoid the incoming storm over the passes they had to cross.

Because I miscalculated the time it should take them AND forgot that Idaho does not change the clock, I was waiting for a text last night, thinking they should have arrived already. Since they cannot answer their phones while riding their bikes, I got more worried and did something you should NEVER do: googled accident reports for the road.

Of course, there was a report about two bikers in an accident, one of them dead. I thought I was going to be sick, told dh and he tried to research more but could not find much more info. It was a long two hours until we finally got a text at 12:06 a.m. that they had just gotten home.  :svengo:

I'm sorry you had to worry for those couple of hours!

My kids aren't driving alone yet (but will be in another couple of months---ack!), but my dad has been known to call me if there is a bad accident he hears about that is in the vacinity of where I am if he happens to know where I am (not really that often, but it has happened a couple of times)---and I am 43 years old.....so I guess those fears never go away. 

• Like 1

I know that sinking feeling. I used to live 1500 miles from all my family. One day I had tried calling my brother...I believe because it was his birthday. He didn't answer at all that day, and that evening I was reading the news from the area and saw an article about a fatal motorcycle accident. It was the same kind of bike, same road my brother takes, etc. I decided to try my mom, and couldn't get her either. She finally called back and I asked about my brother, explaining the deal. She said he was just sleeping, that they had all gotten the flu. That was the worst few hours ever.

I'm so glad they're okay! 

I think I would have been calling the highway patrol to check about that accident, I don't blame you for that one. I'll make a note not to watch the news when ds is traveling! 

I did call the number but nobody answered so I emailed the public relations officer whose email was listed. This morning I got an email back from him. Thank God I already knew it was not them but it was nice that he responded.