Menu

Diplomas? What's your take? What are the options?

My oldest is in 7th grade this year and I'm trying to gather information to work on her high school plan with her over the next year. We've been enrolled through a public school partnership but it is very independent. Through this program she could earn a HS diploma but (if I'm understanding correctly) it would only have pass/fail grades. There may be another way to get letter grades (I'm still investigating that). I'm trying to get a feel for how useful/necessary it is to have a diploma and what other homeschoolers do, and what the different options are. She's interested in doing some dual enrollment at the high school. She's very talented artistically and wants to go into animation and I'm hoping we can have her do internships in high school. I'd hate to bother with jumping through diploma hoops if her time can be better spent doing other things. 

Anyway, I would love experiences and knowledge from the HiveMind on this topic. thank you! 

Editing to add: I would also love information about doing a homeschool diploma and how that works, or working with someone/an organization to do a diploma. I'm really just feeling like a deer in the headlights at this stage. I'm glad I have a bit of time before this becomes urgent, because I'm feeling overwhelmed. 

Editing again to say: Oh right, diplomas don't have grades. :glare:  I'm blaming it on a case of the Mondays. 

• Like 1

We issue our children's diplomas. I haven't seen any need for a diploma service. It is true that diplomas don't have grades, that is a transcript. I would not want a transcript with only pass fail grades. Pass fail grades are interpreted by some as Cs (or I have even heard of as Ds) which will exclude your child from many scholarship options. Tracking your child's learning, giving her grades, creating your own transcript and diploma; it all goes together and is the option most of us use with complete success. If you doubt that check this years college acceptances thread on the college board.

Tracking your child's learning, giving her grades, creating your own transcript and diploma; it all goes together and is the option most of us use with complete success. 

:iagree:   

She's very talented artistically and wants to go into animation and I'm hoping we can have her do internships in high school.

Your high school has internships?  

You may want to look into schools for animation/ art / graphic arts and see what their requirements are.  

http://www.scad.edu/admission/admission-information/undergraduate/home-school-applicants

• Like 1

I gave a long-winded answer ;) on your cross-post, "High School Diplomas: What's Your Take?", so I won't rehash.

I'll just point you to the top of the High School Board, where there are several pinned threads. Two have LOADS of linked threads on all kinds of great topics, esp. topics like: high school timetable (what to do and when), getting started, making a high school plan, transcripts, diplomas, record keeping, dual enrollment and outsourcing classes, etc.:

"Starting High School, Outsourcing, Online Classes, Tutors, Dual Enrollment, AP/PSAT/SAT/ACT/SATII/CLEP… links to past threads here!"

- post #1 topics: high school time table; general encouragement;  getting started; making a high school plan; outsourcing; tutors; online classes;  dual enrollment

- post #2 topics: threads with info and experiences with various tests: AP, PSAT, ACT, SAT, SATII, CLEP, GED; pros/cons of AP vs. Dual Enrollment vs. CLEP

"Transcripts, Credits, GPA/Grading, Accreditation, College Prep/Applications, Scholarships/Financial Aid, Career Exploration -- past threads linked here!"

- post #1 topics: transcripts; credits; grading/GPA; course descriptions; record keeping; diplomas; accreditation

- post #5 topics:  college prep; NCAA; choosing a school; admission/Common App; freshman orientation/first time at college; financial aid/FAFSA/EFC; scholarships; alternatives to 4-year college; career exploration

My suggestion for the "quick start" to homeschooling high school before the start of 9th grade:

1. A LITTLE at a time, over the next 18 months, do some "big picture" research to get a handle on the broad areas you will eventually need to know about (you do NOT need to know EVERYTHING about every homeschooling high school topic before you start! :)).

2. research and determine what method of record keeping will work for you

3. make a high school plan (High school curriculum, how do I start?)

4. based on #3, start researching curricula options for the specific courses you've laid out for 9th grade

5. talk with local homeschoolers to find out what programs are available to you locally (for academics, but also for extracurriculars)

Refer from time to time to the high school time table to help you break down what the typical homeschooling parent needs to work on and when over the 4 years of high school -- it spreads out the many balls you have to juggle so you don't have to research *everything right now*.  ;)

I would also love information about doing a homeschool diploma and how that works, or working with someone/an organization to do a diploma. I'm really just feeling like a deer in the headlights at this stage. I'm glad I have a bit of time before this becomes urgent, because I'm feeling overwhelmed. 

You've got lots of time! Do your research a little at a time to reduce that overwhelmed feeling. :)

The diploma is the formal certificate with the student's name and signed by the school administrator (you, as a parent/administrator of your child's home education), upon completion of the credits required for high school graduation. That list will likely be a blending of any requirements from your state for homeschoolers to graduate from high school, plus, entrance requirements from colleges your student is interested in applying to in the future.

A diploma can be made/printed/signed at home, or you can purchase one and sign it (we liked the ones from Homeschool Diploma).

The transcript is the more important document that you will need for applying to a school for dual enrollment, or to send to colleges when applying for admission. The transcript lists all courses taken by the student in high school, how much credit was earned for each, and what grade was earned for each.

Making and updating a transcript is not difficult; just part of the necessary record keeping for homeschooling high school. See samples of homeschool transcripts at the Donna Young website. There are software programs that will help you track hours and create transcripts; you can also use free downloadable transcript templates, or make your own in a spreadsheet program or word processing program.

Welcome to beginning to research and plan for homeschooling high school, and the fun of wearing an additional new "hat" of administrator/counselor! :) Warmest regards, Lori D.

• Like 3

Both of my kids have homeschool diplomas and Mom-generated transcripts. We ordered each of them a very attractive diploma from www.homeschooldiploma.com. I typed "Official Transcript" at the top of the forms I printed from my home computer. Both got into the colleges of their choice, despite having somewhat unusual circumstances.

• Like 2

I issued my DD a diploma, because she graduated from my homeschool. There is no need to even purchase one through a service; you can buy some nice paper at with a border and print it yourself. I also generated the transcript myself. DD was admitted to several schools, some of them highly selective.

I consider it very important that the student has a diploma - so she can truthfully answer the question "Do you have a high school diploma?" with "Yes". Not having a diploma may have the student viewed as a dropout.

• Like 5

We're making our own diploma and printing it on this certificate paper:

http://www.staples.com/Great-Papers-Channel-Gold-Foil-Border-Certificate/product_431947

It looks very official!

You can even buy pre-printed seals to put on there:

http://www.bay-mall.net/stores/diplomas/accessory4.html#Pre-embossed

• Like 1

Yes, we're planning to order one from www.homeschooldiploma.com.  Mine will "walk" with a local group that does a nice ceremony in May.  I probably should order it soon!

I did the transcripts, and the final "official" ones will be printed on resume paper.

My daughter's diploma just came in the mail - she will get it from us in May.  We ordered it from Cornerstone & it is beautiful.  

I have heard that it is helpful to issue one, just in case a copy is requested somewhere down the line.  I had to fax a copy in of mine in order to qualify to administer annual tests years ago.  

• Like 1

It never occurred to me that "Do you have a high school diploma?" was referring to the actual piece of paper.  I have no idea where mine is and no one has asked for it since I applied to college (undergrad) eons ago.

I printed one out on regular paper for the NCAA for ds; they are apparently the only people interested in it.

• Like 3

Thank you so much for all the links and personal experiences and hugs and suggestions. :-) I am feeling much less daunted, and am glad to have all the resources to read through. As I started following links yesterday, I realized that I should have spent time exploring this board before asking, but I so appreciate your kindness in repeating what has been said before and steering me towards good resources. 

Thanks again! I hope to be a voice of experience and wisdom in this area in a few years, too, to share the love! 

• Like 4

I had to send a copy of my high school diploma to our state in order to start our homeschool.   :thumbup1:  That was the first time in 25+ years that anyone had ever asked for it.

Coincidentally, dd needed a resume yesterday on short notice and we were able to convert her transcript into something presentable in just a few minutes.  They may not need it now, but what a gift to have all that information recorded in one document!  There's no way she or I would have remembered all of the activities, achievements and awards in that short amount of time.

• Like 2

I had to send a copy of my high school diploma to our state in order to start our homeschool.   :thumbup1:  That was the first time in 25+ years that anyone had ever asked for it.

Coincidentally, dd needed a resume yesterday on short notice and we were able to convert her transcript into something presentable in just a few minutes.  They may not need it now, but what a gift to have all that information recorded in one document!  There's no way she or I would have remembered all of the activities, achievements and awards in that short amount of time.

I update my kids' transcripts and course descriptions yearly as they progress through high school, and I've had to use my oldest's numerous times--and he hasn't graduated yet! Each time I've been glad I already had the information compiled--much easier to remember things as we go, than all at once! From official needs like getting the good-student discount for car insurance, proving we homeschool, and college apps, to unofficial needs like remembering what we used and how I figured grades so I don't have to reinvent the wheel for dd's high school courses that are the same--very helpful!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I got ours today from homeschooldiploma.com. Very happy!  It's very classy, and we ordered announcements from them as well. Prices are comparable to what public school friends are paying for less quality.

I owned/administered an umbrella-type school for many years. Although I issued diplomas to my grads, none of them ever had to show it...until one of them moved to Hawaii, and he had to show his diploma to get a job at...wait for it...MacDonald's. What?!

I owned/administered an umbrella-type school for many years. Although I issued diplomas to my grads, none of them ever had to show it...until one of them moved to Hawaii, and he had to show his diploma to get a job at...wait for it...MacDonald's. What?!

LOL! Unbelievable!

• Like 1

In our state, we're legally allowed to give our hs'ed kids diplomas.

But, I didn't bother.  My own diploma, from ps high school, is still sitting in the file cabinet where it was placed on the day of my graduation.  It's never seen the light of day. 

When I've needed to say I've graduated from high school, I just say I did.  Seems good enough.  My high school did issue a transcript which they sent to my first college.  They're the only ones who've ever seen it.

It can be a fun thing for a kid to have, but that might be all it ever gets used for.

In our state, we're legally allowed to give our hs'ed kids diplomas.

But, I didn't bother.  My own diploma, from ps high school, is still sitting in the file cabinet where it was placed on the day of my graduation.  It's never seen the light of day. 

When I've needed to say I've graduated from high school, I just say I did.  Seems good enough.  My high school did issue a transcript which they sent to my first college.  They're the only ones who've ever seen it.

It can be a fun thing for a kid to have, but that might be all it ever gets used for.

A friend of mine needed a high school diploma to apply for a visa to live and work in Kenia. By that time she was in her 30s and had a Masters. You never know.

A friend of mine needed a high school diploma to apply for a visa to live and work in Kenia. By that time she was in her 30s and had a Masters. You never know.

Yes, while it it rare that ANYONE (homeschooled or otherwise) actually needs to SHOW a high school diploma, going overseas for schooling or work is the one area I've seen crop up multiple times here that requires a physical copy of a high school diploma. So that might be a reason to print off your own homeschool diploma on certificate paper and put it in the file along with several signed/dated copies of the final official high school transcript for each student. Takes 5 minutes, easy-peasy, and you've covered all your future bases.

Our family motto: "Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it." ;)

In our state, we're legally allowed to give our hs'ed kids diplomas. But, I didn't bother.  My own diploma, from ps high school, is still sitting in the file cabinet where it was placed on the day of my graduation.  It's never seen the light of day. 

While our DSs didn't care about diplomas (and still don't ;) ), *I* did -- and I cared about it for ME. *I* worked very hard for 12 years to homeschool each DS, and *I* earned that nice Homeschool Diploma website diploma with a gold seal and in a nice padded cover. I'm perfectly fine with including it in their files that they'll probably never need, and those diplomas will probably never see the light of day again. That's fine. The formal special diploma was a lovely way for ME to have closure to our shared homeschooling journey. :)

And if for some strange quirky reason one of them needs to show a high school diploma years down the line, well, they've got it! :)

• Like 1

Uh oh.  I have no idea where my high school diploma is... I know I had it at one point.  I think it got misplaced in the last move ~20 years ago.  I do know where my college diploma is... but the high school one is AWOL!

Guess I can't move to Kenya...

• Like 1

Mine have diplomas. I worried about international situations. We keep hearing of situations involving international jobs or schools requiring diplomas. Also, like Regentrude, I want my children to be able to answer yes to the question of whether they have a high school diploma without them having to ask if the questioner really means have they graduated from high school. I've had to check boxes that asked this on forms. People have to show their diploma to matriculate at our community college. (This was a problem for an elderly family member who needed training for a retirement job and had no idea where hers was anymore.) Currently, I think our community college wants to see homeschoolers' approval letters rather than their diplomas, but what if this changes? I can envision situations where my children might be able to show their diplomas and just skip the whole homeschooling part, if it were just a matter of someone wanting to check off a box. Besides, it makes a nice acknowledgement of their hard work.

Nan

• Like 1

Mine have diplomas. I worried about international situations. We keep hearing of situations involving international jobs or schools requiring diplomas. Also, like Regentrude, I want my children to be able to answer yes to the question of whether they have a high school diploma without them having to ask if the questioner really means have they graduated from high school. I've had to check boxes that asked this on forms. People have to show their diploma to matriculate at our community college. (This was a problem for an elderly family member who needed training for a retirement job and had no idea where hers was anymore.) Currently, I think our community college wants to see homeschoolers' approval letters rather than their diplomas, but what if this changes? I can envision situations where my children might be able to show their diplomas and just skip the whole homeschooling part, if it were just a matter of someone wanting to check off a box. Besides, it makes a nice acknowledgement of their hard work.

Nan

So did you just make them yourself with Microsoft Publish or somesuch and your printer, or did you order them from somewhere, or pay a service??

Does everybody put a school name on their diplomas and transcripts?  Is there anything on the diploma to indicate it's from a homeschool, or does it appear to be from a b&m school?

My transcript has "homeschool". The diploma has not, just the school name.

Does everybody put a school name on their diplomas and transcripts?  Is there anything on the diploma to indicate it's from a homeschool, or does it appear to be from a b&m school?

My transcript has "homeschool". The diploma has not, just the school name.