Menu

If your student uses R&S English independently, what does it look like?

dauphin

FWIW, DD is in 6th grade and we are starting R&S 6 (I loved AG but DD hated it...too much practice of the same concept??? IDK. Anyway we couldn't get through more than 4 units before tears and rebellion!). From what I can tell,  a LOT of it is review so far, but I went with it because I also know there is stuff there that we didn't cover. FWIW, DD's mastery of grammar is largely from CC's Essentials of the English Language program. We both learned a TON. Anyway, that is to say that I don't expect much in this to be 'challenging' but lays a good foundation for, probably, continuing with this program through HS/R&S 10?). 

What distresses her about the lessons?

I'll share that when we first came to R&S 6 (from FLL 4), R&S English initially seemed overly wordy—too much review within the first 4-ish units and lame (per his words on the latter)—for us as well, but I knew that it was worthwhile. In the beginning, we discussed each lesson together before he went about his independent work, so we got through it. When he realized that R&S teaches useful application of the grammar he was learning, then he came to appreciate and even enjoy it. Eventually, he transitioned to working entirely independently. He acknowledged that his understanding came faster and better when he read through each lesson himself. Honestly, grammar via R&S English was one of the first subjects that helped to transition my little man from everything entirely teacher led to paving the way to student led and working independently.

Perhaps coming from the setting of CC's EotEL group interaction/discussion to a textbook just seems boring and a bit overwhelming to tackle on ones own at first? I'd recommend reading each lesson together, at least for a few more or so lessons, orally review to make sure concepts are understood, orally answer odd/even questions from the Class Practice, and then assign odd/even questions from the Written Exercises to be done independently. At least, that's what we did initially, but we also have the worksheets, so sometimes I assigned those instead. Doing it together just for a little while, until the task seems less daunting, may help to alleviate your dd's frustrations.

She hates Analytical Grammar (AG) - perhaps too much repetition of easy stuff (to her) (more mastery than spiral?) at the beginning? She doesn't mind R&S at all so far. In fact, we are partly doing it because I brought a copy home and explained it to her and she said it seemed like a good idea, making a comment along the lines of "yeah, I memorized _____ for CC EotEL (love your abbreviation! LOL) but I didn't really know WHY _____. I like that this teaches the why." I just wish it was  more independent, and would like to know how people accomplished that. Right now I have her read the lesson introduction out loud, we do the class practice, written exercises, and review exercises orally (and since so much of it seems easy/review, we are doing only odds or evens). She often balks at having to do too much written work, although she complained about AG and that was just labeling sentences, not even recopying them! But then again, I think she'd be okay with just doing the written exercises.... we were just discussing that yesterday. She said that she wishes less of our schedule "depends on you to be involved." 

Mine are somewhat independent now. I go over the oral review, have them read the lesson, and give them their assignments.  I never assign everything.  I utilize the worksheets as often as possible.  Then I check their work and help them with anything that caused them problems.

Could you just have her do the odd numbers individually, after she reads the lesson to herself (it is written to the students and the TM doesn't really add any extra instructions), and then come to you later for oral drill and checking her work?  We do several subjects like that, with independent work completed first followed by a follow-up tutoring session by me.  You may even be able to combine the oral drill for a few days so that you only do it 2 or 3 times a week.

• Like 1