Menu

AP Human Geography

I have tried searching for threads on this topic and just can't seem to find them. If anyone can point me in the direction of one I would be very grateful.

Dd will be in 10th next year. We are thinking of trying to self study for the Human Geography AP exam. Is this advisable or possible? Which textbook would you recommend? Which exam study guide? Any other useful hints or information?

I've looked on the College Board site and saw some sample courses.

Thanks for any help and advice.

Dd is studying APHG this year with her same-aged, public-schooled cousin. I wrote a syllabus for AP approval. The kids met once a week during July and August, and now meet once or twice a month. They do their readings and watch videos beforehand and discuss during their meetings (kind of the "flipped classroom" concept). Dsis and I help facilitate the discussions.

We are using the Rubenstein book, ninth edition, purchased for a few dollars on Amazon last summer. A few topics from the course outline are not in this edition of the textbook, so we've made sure to add in supplemental materials for those. I spent two weeks last summer finding current articles, websites, and videos to go with each book section. It seemed to me that many teachers use the same materials over and over again. I thought the topics would be more relevant to dd and dnephew if the examples came from the past year or so.

Between dsis, the library, and I, we have all the prep books :lol: Princeton Review is good but Barron's is much harder. I prefer that my kids use the hardest prep books possible before taking a standardized test.

My absolute favorite resource for APHG is a website run by a geography prof who is one of the Chief Readers for the APHG free-response questions http://www.scoop.it/t/geography-education I follow his Twitter feed so I know whenever he links something new.

Only six schools in our part of the state offer APHG. We started contacting the AP coordinators in late January. Some schools don't allow outside students, some schools were full, some schools said our kids could have open seats but they wouldn't know until March (!!!) if any would be available, and one lovely school said "no problem" :)

• Like 6

Dd is studying APHG this year with her same-aged, public-schooled cousin. I wrote a syllabus for AP approval. The kids met once a week during July and August, and now meet once or twice a month. They do their readings and watch videos beforehand and discuss during their meetings (kind of the "flipped classroom" concept). Dsis and I help facilitate the discussions.

We are using the Rubenstein book, ninth edition, purchased for a few dollars on Amazon last summer. A few topics from the course outline are not in this edition of the textbook, so we've made sure to add in supplemental materials for those. I spent two weeks last summer finding current articles, websites, and videos to go with each book section. It seemed to me that many teachers use the same materials over and over again. I thought the topics would be more relevant to dd and dnephew if the examples came from the past year or so.

Between dsis, the library, and I, we have all the prep books :lol: Princeton Review is good but Barron's is much harder. I prefer that my kids use the hardest prep books possible before taking a standardized test.

My absolute favorite resource for APHG is a website run by a geography prof who is one of the Chief Readers for the APHG free-response questions http://www.scoop.it/t/geography-education I follow his Twitter feed so I know whenever he links something new.

Only six schools in our part of the state offer APHG. We started contacting the AP coordinators in late January. Some schools don't allow outside students, some schools were full, some schools said our kids could have open seats but they wouldn't know until March (!!!) if any would be available, and one lovely school said "no problem" :)

Thank you very much! This is really useful. I'm going to check out that text and the website.