Menu

Do you mind real estate agents asking you about potential sellers?

Jean in Newcastle

Do you mind real estate agents asking about potential sellers?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Do you mind real estate agents asking about potential sellers?

• Yes
    • No
    • No, you don't get another choice so don't click this

I've never had a call like that. It seems like a pretty goofy way to drum up business- calling someone you don't know to ask them to recommend you to someone else you don't know. Even if I did know someone who was thinking about selling their house, WHY would I recommend someone I don't know? 

Generally when my friends are buying or selling a house they either already have an agent in mind or they ask who knows a good one.  And they pick an agent in a matter of a couple of days, which means this cold call has to come during a pretty narrow time frame!

• Like 2

I've never had a call like that. It seems like a pretty goofy way to drum up business- calling someone you don't know to ask them to recommend you to someone else you don't know. Even if I did know someone who was thinking about selling their house, WHY would I recommend someone I don't know? 

Generally when my friends are buying or selling a house they either already have an agent in mind or they ask who knows a good one.  And they pick an agent in a matter of a couple of days, which means this cold call has to come during a pretty narrow time frame!

Precisely!  And even if I did know of a neighbor who has talked about moving, I'm not going to violate their privacy by sharing their name and phone number.  I had one guy even ask me if I knew of anyone in the neighborhood who had died recently.  That seemed. . .  vulturish (and yes, I just coined that term) . . . to me.  Surely there must be a better way to drum up business. . . .

• Like 6

I used to get calls like that when we lived in a preferred area in a hot market. I asked them to please remove my name from their agency's calling list.

I think it's not a surprising eager realtor tactic but I find there's also a potential for privacy and security problems. Besides, it's not my business. If a neighbor needs a realtor, the neighbor will interview and select one himself. If a neighbor asks me for a reference, I might share it, but though we've dealt with many realtors, there are not many I could eagerly endorse. (Sorry, Happy, and other boardie realtors, just my personal experience - I'm sure you're the excellent exceptions!)

I've never had a call like that.  I have had real estate agents come to my house and ask if we were interested in selling.  I assume they're looking for buyers.  If I did get a phone call asking about potential sellers, I wouldn't give them any information.

I occasionally get them calling and asking if I want to sell. they're annoying.

I realize they're trying to drum up business - and maybe 1x in 1000 they might, *might* get lucky - but I think it's wasted cold calling and it only guarantees I will NOT be calling them if perchance I do decide I need to sell.  I mostly get postcards.  those aren't any more annoying than the rest of the junk mail.

eta: we ARE on the do. not. call. list.  we had fewer calls when we also had an unlisted number.  even then - we still heard from RS agents looking to make a listing.  (especially when someone has sold their property to a developer, and several new homes are built in place of one.)

I wonder if it has anything to do with the size of the area, the market, how hot the market (jean and I live in the same general area - and it is a hot market, so listings - especially in certain niches, are scarce.), etc.

I've never gotten a call like that either, but then I miss a lot by screening calls I don't know then blocking ones that are clearly scammers or telemarketers.  I don't think I've gotten any sales type calls in more than a month.

No, I don't want to be called by anyone for help in furthering their business while giving out personal information on neighbors!  I did get a call from one realtor many years ago who wanted to show our house to a potential client who wanted to live in our small neighborhood.  I don't like people ringing the bell to sell anything or to try and get me to hire them to trim my trees.  I mostly refuse to answer the door.  I'm cranky like that.  And every time it happens I say to myself, "Self, you need to put up that stupid No Soliciting sign you've been talking about for years."  Is it there?  Nope.

I've never gotten a call like that either, but then I miss a lot by screening calls I don't know then blocking ones that are clearly scammers or telemarketers.  I don't think I've gotten any sales type calls in more than a month.

the one I'd really like to block is the indian (their accents are always indian) claiming to be from windows and my computer is sending error messages.

dd's friend had a blast with one call. 

"I have 100 servers here - which one?"  (he works on servers)  they are incapable of answering.

I've now done a variation - and they don't know what to do.

"I have seven computers here - which one?"  "your windows computer"  "I have seven -which one?" repeat . . .

I've also said - they're all apple.  and .

"my microsoftie geek daughter has taken care of my computer". . . . .  "ok."

sorry for derailing.  I'm just really get beyond weary of that one . . .

we now return you to your regularly scheduled thread

We've never had a landline - I would suppose that helps? It would annoy me though.

My in-laws once had a realtor come to their door (decades ago) because there was a couple interested in buying the house they'd bought a year before. The couple really wanted that house because it was in the neighborhood they wanted to be in and was built in such a way it was easy to use for people with physical disabilities (one of them was in a wheelchair or something). They were willing to pay $30k over market value for it or something. My in-laws sold it to them. I could live with a realtor doing something like that. But otherwise... no.

I got a call in the middle of the school day last week. I wouldnt normally answer it but dh had been having a bad day and I figured he forgot to call my cell. The real estate agent said he just listed a home in my area and asked if I knew anyone who might be interested. I kinda lost it on him, already annoyed about interrupting hs. I told him I don't have time to do his job and find people to sell his house to.

I just might have lost it and said something similar!   ;)