Menu

So, about those "science experiments"...

KeriJ

We did one today.  We followed all of the directions carefully.  

I now have a huge crack in my glass top stove.

I'm taking it as a sign.

and don't anyone suggest that we do a scientific, educational investigation to find out why that happened! ( :) )

• Like 8

Actually, I am kind of curious WHY it did crack!  I know that high temperatures can cause glass to crack, if you suddenly cool it.  I certainly would never do such a thing, especially with one of my favorite casserole dishes that set in the hot oven, with some water in it...and when the water evaporated out, I added more and KA_BLAM!  

But the stovetop itself?  Weird.

DH actually cracked a glass stove top once...he leaned on it while he was cooking mac and cheese.  

I guess that's what happened....high temperature, suddenly cooled.  But I didn't really think about it since we followed the directions. Plus, it was only a little bit of water.  It didn't seem like it would be enough to cool the pan.

I'm kind of frustrated that it wasn't warned about since it is a science book.  Do you think Jay Wile will cover the cost of my new stove? :)

• Like 2

I guess that's what happened....high temperature, suddenly cooled.  But I didn't really think about it since we followed the directions. Plus, it was only a little bit of water.  It didn't seem like it would be enough to cool the pan.

I'm kind of frustrated that it wasn't warned about since it is a science book.  Do you think Jay Wile will cover the cost of my new stove? :)

I would certainly let him know. He may not even realize its a potential problem.

• Like 2

I wouldn't think that the water IN THE PAN would cause the stove top to crack either.  When it happened to my favorite casserole dish, I poured a small amount of water in the actual dish...which was in the oven.  I was roasting something and the water was for humidity in the stove.  

Hubby explained something about thermodynamics...I don't know...my eyes glazed over.  :-)

I would definitely tell Dr. Wile.  Glass cooktops can be finicky.  Did you know you can crack them if you are canning and use the wrong kind of pot?  

• Like 1

I wouldn't think putting drops of water in the pan could do that to the stove top either. That's totally bizarre. I have a glass top and do that kind of thing frequently (and not as a science experiment, LOL!) and haven't ever had a problem. Heat the pan, put in cold butter from the fridge even--which has to be colder than water from my tap! 

• Like 2

Hubby confirmed that it could, indeed, cause a break.  He said that it was probably likely that there was a weakness in the glass...a crack or fracture that you couldn't see, and the experiment was the breaking point.  Pun fully intended.

He's a dork.  

I said to him, "Can I ask you a question about glass cooktops and breakage?"  

And he said, "Oh boy...is this going to be another thermodynamics issue?" 

• Like 6