Menu

I am trying to plan our curriculum for next year and need advice. I will have a "2nd grader" who is still learning to read. He is doing  Saxon Math 1 this year and we finished FLL 1 & 2, we also did WWE 1. We are still working through OPGTTR and he is doing really well but it looks like it will take us all of 2nd grade to finish it. My daughter would normally be starting 6th grade is she was in public school but when we pulled her out of public school she was behind in several things so we are working on bringing her up slowly. It bothers her that her books say 4th grade but I have explained to her that she is still doing well and not to compare herself to her friends. We are currently finishing up R&S 4 and Saxon 5/4.

Here is what I am looking at using this year with both children. Please let me know if it is overkill, not enough or any other advice you might have.

6th grader (working in 4th and 5th grade work)

Reading- Memoria Press (select three books and study guides to go along), also Ambleside online

Cursive- Memoria Press New American Cursive 2

Copy-work/ Dictation/ Recitation- I have no idea

Grammar/Vocabulary- CLE (will test her to see where she places once we finish this year) (Also considering Analytical Grammar)

Spelling-Sequential Spelling (she really struggles with spelling, we have used AAS and Spelling Workout and neither helped)

Writing- IEW (this will be new to us but she loves to write)

Diagramming- She is struggling with this in the R&S book (any advice on what curriculum would be best)

Math- CLE (will test her to see where she places once we finish this year)

Science- Elemental Science Earth & Space for Logic (2nd grader will follow along)

History- Ambleside Online (have no idea which year to use) and Story of the World 2

Geography- Memoria Press States & Capitals Book (2nd grader will follow along), Ambleside Online also

Classical Studies- Memoria Press D'Aulaire's Greek Myths (2nd grader will follow along)

Latin- First Form Latin

Art- Ambleside Online & Artistic Pursuits

Music- Ambleside Online, Keyboard and also something to teach to read music (Any advice on program)

Foreign Language- Duolingo (Will start a formal program in 7th grade)

Typing- Not sure, what's a good program?

Poetry & Shakespeare- Ambleside Online

Logic-(looking at Critical Thinking Games but not sure, any advice)

PE- Have no idea maybe YouTube videos

2nd grader (still not reading)

Reading- Memoria Press (select three books and study guides to go along), also Ambleside online

Handwriting- ????, still needs practice

Copy-work/ Dictation/ Recitation- I have no idea

Grammar/Vocabulary- CLE (will test him to see where she places once we finish this year)

Spelling-Sequential Spelling (maybe, I haven't decided if we will use anything)

Math- CLE (will test him to see where she places once we finish this year)

Science- With sister and also Ambleside Online

History- Ambleside Online (either Y1 or Y2) and Story of the World 2

Geography- With sister and Ambleside Online

Classical- With sister

Art- Ambleside on Artistic Pursuits

Music- Ambleside Online, Keyboard and also something to teach to read music (Any advice on program)

Foreign Language- Duolingo (only if he wants to)

Typing- Not sure, what's a good program?

Poetry & Shakespeare- Ambleside Online

Logic-(looking at Critical Thinking Games but not sure, any advice)

PE- Have no idea maybe YouTube videos

What do you guys think? Am I doing way to much? Any advice would be appreciated. We would not do all of these everyday.

I don't have a 6th grader and don't feel I can offer meaningful comment on that age level.

With the Gr. 2 child, your plans feel like a lot for a student who isn't yet reading comfortably. I would consider dropping the grammar and vocabulary, foreign language, typing (wait until reading and writing are strong), and logic (this can easily wait until Gr. 5).

For Gr. 2, my primary focus has been to build strong math skills, to develop fluency in reading, to build handwriting skills and stamina, to build writing skills, and to expose to interesting content (science and history especially). So of your schedule, I would prioritize this way:

Daily

- reading (I/she just read; we did not do extra studies at this age)

- copywork/dictation/recitation (I used WWE and it was excellent)

- math

- lots of activity, preferably outside

2-3 times a week

- handwriting

- spelling

- science

- history (geography gets covered in history, so unless it's a passion, I would skip it as a separate subject.)

1-2 times a week

- art

- music

• Like 4

I don't have a 6th grader, no idea.

2nd grade:

I wouldn't bother with typing with a child who isn't reading fluently yet.  In fact, I haven't yet bothered with typing for my children who *are* reading fluently.  ;)  I honestly would prefer to solidify printing and cursive before doing typing.  Unless you're concerned about ability to write due to fine motor issues or something, I would delay typing.

I would consider foreign language, as I think that's important, but it would be done orally.

I'm not sure what Classical Studies is, but if it's Greek myths, would that fit better with SOTW 1?  Maybe do something more medieval to fit with SOTW 2?

I also would focus on math and reading, and some handwriting practice.   History, Science, Geography, all that could be okay, if it's about once a week each, you know?

For your daughter, I'd strongly consider these two curricula:

1.      Saxon Grammar and Writing as she's the PERFECT age for it.  Saxon Grammar and Writing is the same as HAKE Grammar;  Hake became Saxon Grammar.     The 2nd editions of Saxon Grammar and Writing offer it for Grades 4 through 8.    The First Edition offers it for Grades 5-8.     What are the difference in the two editions?   The 2nd edition offers a few more writing assignments.    It is SO easy to implement!!!      

Here it is:   http://www.rainbowresource.com/product/sku/018082

2.     And for her Spelling stump, invest in PHONETIC ZOO (Level A = 1st level).

Why?   I'd invest $3.00 to download and listen to this "Spelling and the Brain" here:       http://iew.com/shop/products/spelling-and-brain-audio-download

Logic Ideas:   see my signature below

Typing:   Typing Instructor for Kids

http://www.rainbowresource.com/product/sku/031007

For Him:

Saxon Phonics 1 then 2, not only will it make him a superior reader, but it'll do wonders for his spelling also.    (And super easy to implement!)

http://www.rainbowresource.com/product/sku/001814

but as a good spelling side-order, I'd consider BUILDING SPELLING SKILLS (Christian Liberty Press)

I agree with Five More Minutes. There is alot going on for a second grader who is not yet reading well.

I'd scale it back and focus time on reading as the priority. There's not much sense in learning to type until they read well. (Yeah one less thing!)

All About Reading is a very solid program, as are others that have been mentioned. For us the Ordinary Parents Guide was way too dry and a no-go, and even using the tiles I had from All About Spelling to jazz up our phonics time made things go much smoother here for my son who needed more time blending.

WWE was great for us for 2nd grade and super easy for open and go copywork/dictation etc.

No 6th grader yet so no help there.

I'd just focus on reading, writing, and math. Everything else is bonus at this age.

Good luck!

• Like 1

For 6th grade I think you have too much curriculum. You could accomplish what you want with less stuff.

I see you use Memoria Press. I suggest you use First Form, get the corresponding cursive copy work books, do the English grammar recitations from Memoria Prezs. I would not do anything else with a foreign language. Keep Latin your focus. I think Latin also trains your brain to think logically. Between Latin and the sporadic logic puzzles in CLE math, I don't think you need a separatel logic book.

CLE language arts has diagramming, so you don't need to double up there, plus First Form has diagramming as well.

I suggest you don't do US geography with SOTW 2. Do the maps from the SOTW activity guide. Also choose one or the other, Ambleside or SOTW. Otherwise you are spreading yourself too thin.

If you choose IEW for writing you might not have to do CLE language arts if you really tie in the grammar and mechanics already built into the program. You might not need a typing program either if you just have your child type the final drafts of IEW papers.

Those are my suggestions. Hope they made sense.

• Like 1

Fairytale mama- DD has had some cursive, I will look at that book.

R&S just isn't a good fit for us.

I was thinking for logic to just use the critical thinking DVD games. Hoping it would be less workbook stuff.

CrispyBiscuit- I looked at Phonetic Zoo. That's actually still one of my selections if I decided against Sequential Spelling DVD and app game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I finally made a decision with a lot of help from here and Facebook. My DS 6th grade (5th Grade) curriculum will be.

Writing- IEW

Spelling- Sequential Spelling

Math- CLE (need to test to see which book)

Cursive- MP New American Cursive book 1 & 2

Science- Elemental Science: Earth Science & Astronomy for Logic Stage

Latin- MP First Form Latin

Spanish (she insisted)- Duolingo

Typing- Typing Instructor for Kids from Timberdoodle

Logic- Still undecided

PE- Walking around neighborhood and various fun activities

Reading,   Copy-work/ Dictation/ Recitation  ,  World History , American History, Geography, Ar t , Music, Poetry & Shakespeare- Living Books Curriculum 6th grade.

THIS IS A NEW CURRICULUM FOR US AND I AM REALLY EXCITED TO USE IT.

The 2nd grader will use Living Books Curriculum 2nd grade along with OPGTTR & CLE Math.