Menu

Two questions about gardening. *seeds and bulbs*

helena

I'm a beginner, so these may be silly questions. :)

I'm growing lots of ajuga. If I plant bulbs (harlequin) where the ajuga will eventually spread, next year will the bulbs just push through the ground cover and grow/bloom as usual? Or will the ajuga keep it from growing? Will flower seeds grow through groundcover? Like say, echinacea seeds? 

I planted a bunch of seeds. Some are growing fine, others never popped up. Will the seeds rot and never come up? Will some start growing when they're time comes? Like later in spring or early summer? I live in So Cal fwiw. 

Hmm ... I can't answer your specific questions, and have never gardened (or even been to, LOL) in So. CA.

I would think the bulbs might be worth a try, because they tend to be pretty strong pushers.  :)  So as long as the ground cover is not super thick, they might work.

I don't think you'll have as much luck with the seeds. 

Usually, when seeds I planted don't germinate, I assume (1) a bird ate it, (2) it was a dud seed, (3) it rotted.  It's a good thing seeds are cheap!  

If you want the Echinacea mixed among the ajuga, you might try either starting the seeds indoors yourself or just buying a few echineacea plants.

• Like 1

Hmm ... I can't answer your specific questions, and have never gardened (or even been to, LOL) in So. CA.

I would think the bulbs might be worth a try, because they tend to be pretty strong pushers.  :)  So as long as the ground cover is not super thick, they might work.

I don't think you'll have as much luck with the seeds. 

Usually, when seeds I planted don't germinate, I assume (1) a bird ate it, (2) it was a dud seed, (3) it rotted.  It's a good thing seeds are cheap!  

If you want the Echinacea mixed among the ajuga, you might try either starting the seeds indoors yourself or just buying a few echineacea plants.

Unfortunately I discovered seed shopping on ebay. I bought a ton and then... sigh... a whole lot of nothing. :)

Some things have come up, thank goodness for Bachelor Buttons and Zinnias haha!! 

I think I'll choose a different spot for the bulbs. Ajuga seen to be growing tightly. 

I'm not giving up hope on my Rubeckia Green Wizard or my mauve/green colored Milkweed. It could be a garden miracle??

• Like 1

for how friendly ajuga is with bulbs - it depends upon the bulb.  and remember, ajuga wants a shadier and moister location in hotter areas.  

the whole point of a groundcover is to keep seeds from other plants from sprouting.  seeds usually need light to germinate.  if you have a nice thick carpet of groundcover, it should keep it darker.  or else established plants getting all the moisture for seedlings to grow.

what kinds of seeds are you talking about?  some, you can just throw down outside.  other's are VERY finicky and you are better off buying a start, or starting them indoors.  most are started indoors because you have a higher germination rate, and a higher seedling survival rate.

• Like 1

for how friendly ajuga is with bulbs - it depends upon the bulb.  and remember, ajuga wants a shadier and moister location in hotter areas.  

the whole point of a groundcover is to keep seeds from other plants from sprouting.  seeds usually need light to germinate.  if you have a nice thick carpet of groundcover, it should keep it darker.  or else established plants getting all the moisture for seedlings to grow.

what kinds of seeds are you talking about?  some, you can just throw down outside.  other's are VERY finicky and you are better off buying a start, or starting them indoors.  most are started indoors because you have a higher germination rate, and a higher seedling survival rate.

I just bought the starter trays, do you think that's a better way to start seeds than just throwing them in the ground? Can I do it in the garage or does it have to be indoors near a window?

Lots of different seeds. Rudbeckia, yarrow, golden buttons, tidy tips, thimbleweed, blue sea holly...

At least the succulent garden is looking great!

I just bought the starter trays, do you think that's a better way to start seeds than just throwing them in the ground? Can I do it in the garage or does it have to be indoors near a window?

Lots of different seeds. Rudbeckia, yarrow, golden buttons, tidy tips, thimbleweed, blue sea holly...

At least the succulent garden is looking great!

they need good light - or they get very leggy. they need consistent temps.  they need to stay moist, but not so damp it drowns the seeds.

I no longer bother with seeds.  I buy seedlings/starts.

some good self-seeders - lupine, oriental poppy, yarrow, snapdragon, sea holly, money plant, lamb's ear, there are some others.  when looking through gardening books - look for EASY seeders.   there are others.  English daisys (they're short.)

I'm currently doing groundcovers.  succulents are easy - because you just break the stem and stick it in the dirt.  works for vinca too.

• Like 2

Just thought I would mention something you might not know.....

When you plant seeds that are perennials, like Rudbeckia, or most milkweeds, they will pop up (maybe like 4 inches) then they will grow their roots.  They need to do this to so they can survive through most winters, (even if you do not have freezes in So. CA, they will still do this).  They will not grow taller than that little bit until a full year later.

Sometimes beginning gardeners will plant perennial seeds and think that they just don't know how to garden, when really the seeds are doing exactly what they are supposed to do. 

Just something to keep in mind as you garden.

• Like 1

My boys have bought seeds of flowering plants like daisies, marigolds, zinnia and sometimes the seeds sprout a year later. I have better luck starting with bulbs for flowering plants.

Most of my plants are cactus and they are flowering prettily right now.

• Like 1

they need good light - or they get very leggy. they need consistent temps.  they need to stay moist, but not so damp it drowns the seeds.

I no longer bother with seeds.  I buy seedlings/starts.

some good self-seeders - lupine, oriental poppy, yarrow, snapdragon, sea holly, money plant, lamb's ear, there are some others.  when looking through gardening books - look for EASY seeders.   there are others.  English daisys (they're short.)

I'm currently doing groundcovers.  succulents are easy - because you just break the stem and stick it in the dirt.  works for vinca too.

yeah, as tempting as all those pictures are on eBay, I think I need to back away from the seeds. Maybe a one pack here, another there. Okay, I did just buy a big mixed pack of sunflower seeds (drop dead red by Botanical Interests) this morning. :) The last time I did those, the flowers all faced the fence.  :lol: I'll need a new location for sure. I was thinking about your post at the nursery and decided to buy a starter. I found a dark pink rice flower plant, (love at first sight!!) then I saw a big ol container of it, and I couldn't resist. 

Just thought I would mention something you might not know.....

When you plant seeds that are perennials, like Rudbeckia, or most milkweeds, they will pop up (maybe like 4 inches) then they will grow their roots.  They need to do this to so they can survive through most winters, (even if you do not have freezes in So. CA, they will still do this).  They will not grow taller than that little bit until a full year later.

Sometimes beginning gardeners will plant perennial seeds and think that they just don't know how to garden, when really the seeds are doing exactly what they are supposed to do. 

Just something to keep in mind as you garden.

Funny you should say that!!!! I have two urns flanking the front door. The strings of pearl cascading, succulents all yummy, and plenty of 4" ( :glare: ) mauve and green milkweed! Haha! This makes me feel much better, thank you! I can be patient. Especially because I really like these colors, and the Green Wizard Rudbeckia is so, so, so cool. 

My boys have bought seeds of flowering plants like daisies, marigolds, zinnia and sometimes the seeds sprout a year later. I have better luck starting with bulbs for flowering plants.

Most of my plants are cactus and they are flowering prettily right now.

Oh yeah, the marigolds are coming up on their own. I'm trying to stick to this color pallet, but at this point I'm just grateful for anything that's willing to grow in my dirt. :)

I also have some cactus blooming right now. I'm working on the succulent garden in the front. You know that look where it's all packed in there? Thank goodness I had a bunch of plants to start with, otherwise I'd have already spent a kajillion dollars! Yesterday I tuned a big leggy kalanchoe into cuttings. I keep thinking, I like this look, right??? Uuuuhhh, does this look like the photos in Sunset Magazine??? :lol: 

Do you have the sunset western garden book? If not,I'd get one. The magazine doesn't count.

Looks like my library has it in, so I'll go pick it up today. I'm waiting for a book titled 52 Weeks in the California Garden. That looks promising as well. :)

Looks like my library has it in, so I'll go pick it up today. I'm waiting for a book titled 52 Weeks in the California Garden. That looks promising as well. :)

you can get an older sunset western garden book edition (1995) off amazon for $4 - including shipping.  or $6.49 for a 2001 edition.  that includes shipping.  I have a couple editions, the information is different, and sometimes the older ones are better.

anyone who lives in a western state - as far east as CO, should have this if they do any gardening. it is far more specific for what you can and can't do in your area than the USDA agricultural zones that rely almost exclusively on number of days at minimum temperature. (which is a bigger deal in the western states than the eastern states)

it takes into account minimum temp, maximum temp, days of rain/overcast/full sun, inches of rain, likelihood of snow, marine influence, desert influence, etc.