Menu

One week in Boston

Jackie

My husband is being sent to Boston for work for one week in June. I'm considering bringing our five year old daughter and tagging along for a reasonably priced vacation. We'd be staying somewhere near the Hynes Center and relying on public transit and/or cabs. Children's museums, science and history options are all staples of our city trips. What should we plan on doing?

Children's Museum

Aquarium

Science Museum

Freedom Trail (look into Boston for Little Feet for a kid-friendly version)

Public Gardens including a ride on the Swan Boats (read Make Way for Ducklings first)

Museum of Fine Arts (I'm pretty sure they have kid-friendly activities you can do to make it more accessible to a younger kid.  They have homeschool Art classes there on twice a day on Fridays, you can go to their website and sign up by Weds of the same week.  There's a tour of an exhibit, then they do a related art project).

Duck Boat tours are popular but expensive.  A great way to get a harbor tour for almost nothing is to take the T (public transit) ferry from Aquarium Wharf to the Charlestown Navy Yard, where you can then visit the Constitution (not the document, the battleship from the war of 1812 :) ), and a museum about the battle it was in, how it was built, etc.

Oh, and the Boston Public Library is right next to the Hynes Center and gives tours (it's a beautiful building with lots of great art in addition to a library - of course you can also just walk around and look at it, and check out the children's section)

And Trinity Church and the John Hancock tower are also both right there in Copley Place (and the Copley Plaza Hotel lobby is fun to walk through for kdis).  Take a ride up to the Observatory at the top of the John Hancock tower.

That's a good place to start - I'll update if I think of more. :)

• Like 1

In addition to the great suggestions above, take a ferry out to the Boston Harbor Islands if the weather is nice. There's a Civil War era fort to explore on Georges Island (bring flashlights!) and great views of the skyline. You could also take the commuter rail out to Concord or Salem if you want to get out of the city for the day. Both have lots of historic sites and small museums to visit.

• Like 2

They sell various passes where you pay one price and can ride the T all you want and get into various attractions.  That's the way to go for that time frame. 

We went to the Harvard Natural Science Museum and their art museum.  We loved both of those, and they were reasonably priced.  The science museum is extremely expensive IMO, but for only one adult and one kid it won't be too bad.  On Friday nights on the rooftop of the science museum (not sure if that is every Friday) they offer free use of their observatory weather permitting. 

The science museum is extremely expensive IMO, but for only one adult and one kid it won't be too bad.  On Friday nights on the rooftop of the science museum (not sure if that is every Friday) they offer free use of their observatory weather permitting. 

It's not cheap.  But if you have a membership to a reciprocal Science museum elsewhere in the country, they will let you in free.

Alternatively, you may be able to finagle a discounted pass from the Boston Public Library, since you'll be staying right next to it. :)

Thank you for all the ideas! We did a City Pass in San Francisco and it worked great for getting around and entry to several places; glad to know there's something like it for Boston. And I always forget I should check the reciprocal memberships with our science museum until someone points it out to me.

Thank you for all the ideas! We did a City Pass in San Francisco and it worked great for getting around and entry to several places; glad to know there's something like it for Boston. And I always forget I should check the reciprocal memberships with our science museum until someone points it out to me.

Maybe zoo or kids museum passes too?  I have passes for just about everything where I live!  :laugh: