Menu

Digital scrapbook recommendations

skimomma

I am looking for a way to get our digital photos into a physical book format without the scissors and glue.  I have some (maybe) odd requirements and there is so much out there I just do not know where to start.  I need this application for more than one type of output which is where things get complicated.  I am not sure what I need even exists.  Here is what I need:

1.  Most of our photos go into what would be considered a "traditional" photo album....meaning, I just want to photos (with captions) on pages in books.  I would like to be able to crop and vary the size of the photos but other than that, nothing fancy for most pages.  

2.  I want to be able to add and/or reorder pages to the books over time.  This rules out hard-bound books.  

3.  I would like a 12x12 format if possible.

4.  I would like to have some basic "scrapbooking" type designs for the occasional pages.  Not every page but for certain bigger life events.  

It is the mix of #1 and #4 that has me concerned.  I don't want to pay through the teeth for this since most pages will not require any fancy formatting but do want to option occasionally.

If anyone has suggestions, I'm all ears!

PROJECT LIFE!!!

I apologize for yelling. But seriously, I loooove it. You'll find a ton of super fancy PL "spreads" but for the most part I use mine as glorified photo albums. Many use them week by week, but I don't (I tried...and lasted 9 weeks). Some of my pages have lots of journaling, some don't. I just crop (if necessary) and slide. They have great starter kits, too.

• Like 1

I don't have any experience with them, but you could print out your digital layouts (Persnickety Prints is one I see recommended a lot, and they often have sales that drop the cost of the pages to under a dollar) and then put them in traditional scrapbook binders.  Project Life (pocket style scrapping, as opposed to traditional scrapping) like zoobie recommend would probably work well for you, also, and they have an app so you can scrap on the go.  PL is great for scrapping lots of photos quickly.

If you're looking for something more like a traditional photobook, lots of designers have template packs.  I use this one from Paislee Press to make yearly albums of kid pics for the grandparents.  They're simple and clean on their own, but I can add in a few embellishments if I like, also.  

As for traditional vs album style, if you're going for printing out 12x12 layouts and sticking them in a binder, it doesn't matter what style layout you're doing. 

And because I didn't ask: there's 2 ways to go about scrapping digital photos.  You can print the photos and then slip them into the physical Project Life inserts, or you can scrap it all digitally and then just print out a 12x12 page (what I was originally talking about before).  Scissors and I don't get along, so I automatically assumed you meant the latter :)

• Like 1

If you have a Costco membership, they have the cheapest way to print the 12x12 in a store.  As a bonus, you can also put 2 6x6 pages on the same one (great for grandparents).  You will have to know how to make it look like one object when you upload though (I think.  They might actually have a collage option).

What type of photo programs do you have?  Do you have Photoshop or Photoshop Elements?  If not, GIMP is a free Photoshopish program.

By the sounds of it, you are looking for something along the lines of a digital scrapbook quick page.  You will need something you can work with the layers though, hence the program question.

• Like 1

And because I didn't ask: there's 2 ways to go about scrapping digital photos.  You can print the photos and then slip them into the physical Project Life inserts, or you can scrap it all digitally and then just print out a 12x12 page (what I was originally talking about before).  Scissors and I don't get along, so I automatically assumed you meant the latter :)

This is how little I know about this stuff!  I didn't know there was 2 ways either.  I assumed you formatted online then got a printed page.  I believe that is what I want.

Off to check out everyone's suggestions.  I'll be back with questions I am sure:)

Before you jump into anything that costs money, take a look at just how amazing these scrapbooks can get. Then decide how much money and time you are willing to put into it. That will help you select your products.

Check out scrapbookgraphics.com for some ideas.

In the meantime, Shutterfly offers 12 x 12 sheets that you could print and then place in a binder you buy at Hobby Lobby or Michael's.

Being a long term digital scrapbooking addict, I can tell you right now, you are endanger of losing the rest of your life to this hobby. Lol.

• Like 3

I have been looking at the suggested sites (and others) since my last reply and am now even more baffled than I was before!

Maybe a little more background would help you know what I am looking for.

My family takes a great deal of photos.  I used to scrapbook the old-school way (paper, scissors, markers, stamps, etc....).  The pace of photo-taking eventually FAR outstripped the time I had to deal with scrapbooking so I mostly gave it up and have reverted to putting plain old photos in plain old photo albums writing down a caption here and there.  This would be fine to continue in theory, but even that amount of effort seems to be too much for me.  I spend hours picking out the photos online (I do this about quarterly), then they get printed and mailed, then I have to gather the books, photo corners, etc..., then decide what goes on what page, then actually paste everything in.  It takes forever and is boring.  I am over two years behind right now.  I have the photos and I at least put them in groups and chronological order, but physically getting them into the books is just not happening.  The PL stuff looks awesome but I think I will be in the same boat.  For my regular-at-home photo albums, I just want the photos digitally slapped on pages and printed out.  It appears that Shutterfly might be a good resource for this?  

If that is the case, I would love to chat with someone who has used it this way.  The big downside is that all of the books are bound so books would not be a work-in-progress.  I could see myself saving up photos for a once or twice-a-year book that is bound and just done.

Then there is the other application I need.  Back when I was scrapbooking, I started a tradition of making mother's books for my mom and MIL.  This was pre-CM and other companies so I just use plain three-ring binders with clear sleeves.  I give a page (or more) as gifts several times a year to add to the books.  I can spend much more time on these because we are only talking about a few photos. But I am really done with the mechanics behind it and would love to get all of the supplies out of my house freeing up space for other things.  Project Life is looking pretty attractive for that sort of thing.

Someone mentioned PL digital.  What is that?

Unfortunately, we do not have a Costco or other major stores that do printing.  We have to send everything out.

• Like 1

I have been looking at the suggested sites (and others) since my last reply and am now even more baffled than I was before!

Maybe a little more background would help you know what I am looking for.

My family takes a great deal of photos. I used to scrapbook the old-school way (paper, scissors, markers, stamps, etc....). The pace of photo-taking eventually FAR outstripped the time I had to deal with scrapbooking so I mostly gave it up and have reverted to putting plain old photos in plain old photo albums writing down a caption here and there. This would be fine to continue in theory, but even that amount of effort seems to be too much for me. I spend hours picking out the photos online (I do this about quarterly), then they get printed and mailed, then I have to gather the books, photo corners, etc..., then decide what goes on what page, then actually paste everything in. It takes forever and is boring. I am over two years behind right now. I have the photos and I at least put them in groups and chronological order, but physically getting them into the books is just not happening. The PL stuff looks awesome but I think I will be in the same boat. For my regular-at-home photo albums, I just want the photos digitally slapped on pages and printed out. It appears that Shutterfly might be a good resource for this?

If that is the case, I would love to chat with someone who has used it this way. The big downside is that all of the books are bound so books would not be a work-in-progress. I could see myself saving up photos for a once or twice-a-year book that is bound and just done.

Then there is the other application I need. Back when I was scrapbooking, I started a tradition of making mother's books for my mom and MIL. This was pre-CM and other companies so I just use plain three-ring binders with clear sleeves. I give a page (or more) as gifts several times a year to add to the books. I can spend much more time on these because we are only talking about a few photos. But I am really done with the mechanics behind it and would love to get all of the supplies out of my house freeing up space for other things. Project Life is looking pretty attractive for that sort of thing.

Someone mentioned PL digital. What is that?

Unfortunately, we do not have a Costco or other major stores that do printing. We have to send everything out.

The Project Life app is perfect if you take lots of iPhone photos.

I just want the photos digitally slapped on pages and printed out. It appears that Shutterfly might be a good resource for this?

If that is the case, I would love to chat with someone who has used it this way. The big downside is that all of the books are bound so books would not be a work-in-progress. I could see myself saving up photos for a once or twice-a-year book that is bound and just done.

Shutterfly has quite a learning curve, in my opinion. However, once one figures it out, the process is quite speedy. To make a book, one has to load up all his photos, then select a theme, then select the photos, load them into the theme, and then add in captions. What is frustrating to me is moving photos around from page to page, but once one gets the hang of it, it works well.

I can say the books are nice quality and can easily be modified to fit other books for grandmothers.

What you will sacrifice is loose pages unless you want to do that separately on Shutterfly.

What I like about shutterfly is all of the other photo products offered. I have some printed on canvas, coasters, mouse pads, etc.

I have only used one other publisher, which was MyPublisher. This was also good, but I quit using them because at the time, they did not have a 12" x 12" option.

If you really want to stick with loose pages, you might want to just bite the bullet and get PhotoShop. Your options become absolutely endless at that point.

• Like 1

I know this may be off base, but have you considered a private family blog? I have had one for the last 9.25 years and it is way better then a book as I have video too. Mine isn't 100% private due to too many people wanting to know about us, so I just make sure to leave a few key details about our life off of it. I like though that I can pull things up on it when I need to wherever I am. It also doesn't add to our serious book addiction.

Just a thought.

• Like 2

Here's what I would do in your situation.

I'd buy a 12x12 binder (one plain example, but there are a bajillion different styles and price points) and single sheet page protectors, since it sounds similar to what you used before both for your at home album and your grandma albums.  

I'd decide whether I wanted to use GIMP or Photoshop Essentials (PSE).  Photoshop 13 Essentials is about $70 (occasionally it'll go on sale), while GIMP is free.  I think PSE is easier to use, but free is pretty enticing.

I'd find some photobook templates, like the ones I linked above.  To get an idea, here's a few samples (1, 2, 3) of pages I've made with them to see if that's the style you're looking for.  I just finished our 2014 yearly scrapbook in that style.  To make a page, I open up the template in Photoshop, paste in my background paper, paste in my photo, and then clip it to the photo placeholder, resize it, and type in a caption and date.  On a normal day, I was able to get about 10-15 pages done during an hour of nap time.  If you want to do a more traditional digital scrapbooking page (like this) or Project Life (like this), you can, too!

Then I'd sent the pages off to be printed as 12x12s somewhere, and either shipped back to me or to the grandmas directly.

If you have any questions about how to do any of that, please feel free to PM me as well :)  I love digiscrapping and will willingly jabber anyone's ears off about it!

• Like 1

Here's what I would do in your situation.

I'd buy a 12x12 binder (one plain example, but there are a bajillion different styles and price points) and single sheet page protectors, since it sounds similar to what you used before both for your at home album and your grandma albums.  

I'd decide whether I wanted to use GIMP or Photoshop Essentials (PSE).  Photoshop 13 Essentials is about $70 (occasionally it'll go on sale), while GIMP is free.  I think PSE is easier to use, but free is pretty enticing.

I'd find some photobook templates, like the ones I linked above.  To get an idea, here's a few samples (1, 2, 3) of pages I've made with them to see if that's the style you're looking for.  I just finished our 2014 yearly scrapbook in that style.  To make a page, I open up the template in Photoshop, paste in my background paper, paste in my photo, and then clip it to the photo placeholder, resize it, and type in a caption and date.  On a normal day, I was able to get about 10-15 pages done during an hour of nap time.  If you want to do a more traditional digital scrapbooking page (like this) or Project Life (like this), you can, too!

Then I'd sent the pages off to be printed as 12x12s somewhere, and either shipped back to me or to the grandmas directly.

If you have any questions about how to do any of that, please feel free to PM me as well :)  I love digiscrapping and will willingly jabber anyone's ears off about it!

I agree with this, almost.  I'd get GIMP and look for scrapbook quick pages.  You literally open it up in GIMP.  Place it behind the slot the page has for pictures.  Type your journalling and hit save.  As long as you remember to use the save as feature, you won't mess up the original page and it can be used again.  You will want to save it as the programs file and as a jpg of high quality for the printing.  Then I'd send it off to that Persnickety Prints linked above (that's a great price for online).  It sounds like a lot of steps but once you figure out the very very basics of GIMP, it will be easy.

I have an ancient GIMP tutorial if you are interested.  I'm sure it is outdated but the basic concepts of how it works should be okay.

If you have a Pinterest account, search for free scrapbooking quick page and you will find all sorts of options.

ETA: Shutterfly can be a pain to work with.  I've been almost done several times and had the system crash.  I switched to using winkflash after that.  Winkflash also runs sales for 100 page books being the same cost as the regular price.  Most of those prices you see are for just a 20 page book.