Menu

Tell me about CLE and R&S reading programs

Mom28kds

I recently realized that the reading programs were more than just reading books which I've done up til now. I want to include this in my curriculum next year. When I went through a little bit of the 5th gr. CLE and noticed that it still included alot of the diagraphs which was quite a struggle with my kids back in 2nd grade. I switched over LA at that time. I'm thinking of going back to CLE in math and LA and now want to incorporate a reading program. How are these 2 reading programs alike/different. My kids really don't know the diagraph symbols so I'm concerned with doing the CLE although I've heard it was a great program. Is R&S like CLE? Is it a good program also? Thanks :)

We just finished CLE 500 and 700 this year.  The diagraphs in 500 are more like what your child needs to know to pronounce a word that they find in the dictionary--it isn't heavily emphasized like it was in Reading 100-300.  More useful stuff.

We have used CLE Reading 100-700 so far.  I used R&S Grade 5 one year as a supplement for my older son who was burning through his work too fast and making DS2 angry that HE still had so much to do.  R&S Reading had good stories but they weren't as interesting as CLE, and I don't feel the workbook covered as many aspects of literary analysis.  We would not use it again.  If you look at the CLE Scope and Sequence, Reading covers some amazing stuff--my son in 700 this year was doing logical thinking--fallacies, things like that. 

https://www.clp.org/documents/5748/original/2015-2016_Elementary_Scope_and_Sequence.pdf

The R&S program is cheaper and does cover good things; I just feel like CLE covers more and is more interesting.  I will add, my boys LOVED CLE reading through 400 and it did get "harder" in 500 and now it is NOT their favorite subject--they really have to think to answer the questions.  But they are learning a lot--it just isn't happy sunshines and lollipops anymore :)

B

• Like 1

I can't speak to R&S or that level of CLE because I'm using CLE 6th reading. What I can say is that I wished I had started it earlier. It is a wonderful program teaching many literary terms, great vocabulary words, and comprehension skills. I haven't noticed ds having any problem with any symbols.

• Like 1

:bigear:

Also curious to know if one is more independent than the other? and how long does an average lesson take to complete?

both independent by 4th grade-ish.  Earlier for some (my oldest did CLE 300 with little to no help--I think TECHNICALLY they are supposed to read the story aloud to you, but he didn't.  My DS2 needed to in 300--)

Before level 500, a lesson takes maybe 30 minutes to complete.  Starting in 500, 30-45 minutes.  Less on days they "re-read" a story (in CLE, each story straddles 2 lessons.  On the first day, comp questions & other things directly related to the story are usually the majority of the lesson.  On the 2nd day, they may have to scan back through it).

I can't speak as much to R&S Reading since we only did Grade 5, and it was 2 years ago.  I threw away the workbooks last weekend so I can't look at them--

B

• Like 1

I recently realized that the reading programs were more than just reading books which I've done up til now. I want to include this in my curriculum next year. When I went through a little bit of the 5th gr. CLE and noticed that it still included alot of the diagraphs which was quite a struggle with my kids back in 2nd grade. I switched over LA at that time. I'm thinking of going back to CLE in math and LA and now want to incorporate a reading program. How are these 2 reading programs alike/different. My kids really don't know the diagraph symbols so I'm concerned with doing the CLE although I've heard it was a great program. Is R&S like CLE? Is it a good program also? Thanks :)

R&S's Bible Nurture and Reader series (gr. 1-4) doesn't do any phonics after 3rd grade. Anything that might be related to spelling is covered in the spelling series (Spelling by Sound and Structure). The upper-grade readers teach vocabulary and oral reading skills; reading-thinking skills, literary techniques, types of reading, and writing skills (including essays, BTW).

I haven't used them, so I cannot compare one publisher to the other. :-) You can get free curriculum samples and a free scope and sequence (which is where I found the above information) by calling the publisher at (606) 522-4348.