Menu

SOTW audio listeners

displace

We listen to SOTW in the car for commutes. DS loves to listen and we are on vol 3, about to start vol 4. We have re listened to some individual CDs at times but not whole volumes. I'm wondering if we should just restart at vol one again after listening to all of them, this time incorporating some docu, testing, activities, etc? We occasionally discuss topics I like to clarify, significance in history or modern ideas but otherwise we don't do much else. I'm thinking an informal geography or social studies around the world. Any steps after listening to all four vol of SOTW at 6 years?

We re-listen as well, although I don't have the full series yet. My ds LOVES the activities from the Activity guide and definitely remembers more about the subject if we do a project for that chapter. He also enjoys the mapping exercises in the AG.

• Like 1

I suggest you re-listen to 1-3 before going to 4. SWB did not really mean vol. 4 to be for 6 year olds, and I think it is better dealt with at least somewhat older even if not in 4th grade, when ready to process nuclear bombs, holocaust and so on, that happened in modern times, and also not have them become meaningless.

I also highly recommend not only listening multiple times to SOTW in whole and in parts, as desired, for us too that was much more useful than activity books etc.

I also suggest seeing if you can get Hakim's Story of US series as audio...   in its case when we tried at the age it seemed to be intended for (5thish), my ds was way too old for it and felt talked down to, but I think it has good stuff and at least the first volumes that I looked at seemed like they'd be well suited to a 6 year old as a read aloud or audio.

• Like 2

I suggest you re-listen to 1-3 before going to 4. SWB did not really mean vol. 4 to be for 6 year olds, and I think it is better dealt with at least somewhat older even if not in 4th grade, when ready to process nuclear bombs, holocaust and so on, that happened in modern times, and also not have them become meaningless.

I also highly recommend not only listening multiple times to SOTW in whole and in parts, as desired, for us too that was much more useful than activity books etc.

I also suggest seeing if you can get Hakim's Story of US series as audio...   in its case when we tried at the age it seemed to be intended for (5thish), my ds was way too old for it and felt talked down to, but I think it has good stuff and at least the first volumes that I looked at seemed like they'd be well suited to a 6 year old as a read aloud or audio.

Thanks for the rec.  I was just looking at Hakim Story of Science and trying to find an audio version, so if the Story of US is audio I can do that. 

We use the audio CDs, but we use them in sequential order. My student using them has extreme vision issues & despite the ease in which they are written he'd be in capable of reading an entire chapter without problems. So he listens instead & does the tests afterwards. It works well for us & he does fantastic on each of the tests he takes. :D

• Like 1

We relisten without doing any activities or anything else. At 6-8 my oldest two also read lots of biographies for their free reading, but I didn't worry about matching anything up. They have a great grounding in history knowledge, even without tests or lesson plans or activities. :) Time to start that now with the second set!

Doing geography rather than more history sounds like a great idea. That's what I'm planning on doing next year for my 5yo & 7yo.

• Like 1

I have all 4 volumes in audio but I haven't bought the activity books yet. We are listening to Vol. 2 right now and the kids are also doing Veritas Press NTGR as well. Do the activities in the activity books help with retention? My kids are not into coloring so if the activities are primarily coloring pages then my kids won't do them.

• Like 1

I have all 4 volumes in audio but I haven't bought the activity books yet. We are listening to Vol. 2 right now and the kids are also doing Veritas Press NTGR as well. Do the activities in the activity books help with retention? My kids are not into coloring so if the activities are primarily coloring pages then my kids won't do them.

The activity books are a wide variety: coloring, making foods, crafts/projects, etc.  I think there are also little quizzes.  I haven't really looked to see how academic they are so hopefully someone else will chime in.

We use the audio CDs, but we use them in sequential order. My student using them has extreme vision issues & despite the ease in which they are written he'd be in capable of reading an entire chapter without problems. So he listens instead & does the tests afterwards. It works well for us & he does fantastic on each of the tests he takes. :D

Where did you get the tests?

Thanks for the rec.  I was just looking at Hakim Story of Science and trying to find an audio version, so if the Story of US is audio I can do that. 

The Story of US clearly seems to me written at a lower level both in content and in tone.

• Like 1