Menu

What to do for eager LO!

My4arrows

My DS is currently 3 (will be 4 in the fall) and he desperately wants to do school like his brothers. I set up a letter of the week program for him this year, but I haven't always been consistent with using it.  So I want to make sure next year I have something set up for him.  He loves to be read to, do hands on and worksheets...so basically everything.  Maybe that's why I'm so exhausted!  Anyway, I already have Sonlight P4/5, MUS Primer that I could use with him, but is there another suggestion that would be more hands on or even worksheets, but open and go?

TIA! 

This summer I'd do some blending and prereading activities with him and get him more comfortable blending and then I would move on to reading/phonics with The Reading Lesson. The first 2 chapters are free online so that you can try it out and see if you like.

TRL is my absolute favorite reading program. Super gentle, incremental, and gradually builds up on its self. It works with interested kids as young as 3 and it teaches a handful of letter sounds on an "as needed" basis so its okay if you don't know all of the letter sounds at the beginning. Each "lesson" is about 24 pages so you can spread it out over a week or three if needed. You can work for 10-20 minutes at a time, depending on his interest/attention span each day and finish the book within the year. Get some letter magnets to add a "hands on" component to it if you want. There are a few activity pages in that book, but mostly you just read from the pages.

• Like 1

Oh I should have added we already have AAR and will be using that either next year or the year after- whenever he's interested in reading.  He already knows his letters and sounds, but when I asked if he wanted to learn to read, he said no- which I am more than okay with!  

So...you have reading, math and literature-based curriculum for your preschooler.

MUS is manipulative based as I'm sure you noticed.

AAR uses manipulatives too, no?

I'm assuming that you have duplo and blocks, maybe some hotwheels and such already in your home. What about puzzles? A globe?

You really don't need anything else at that age. Perhaps you might like to get some Kumon workbooks for the toddler years--he might enjoy cutting/copying/pasting...

This summer I'd do some blending and prereading activities with him and get him more comfortable blending and then I would move on to reading/phonics with The Reading Lesson. The first 2 chapters are free online so that you can try it out and see if you like.

TRL is my absolute favorite reading program. Super gentle, incremental, and gradually builds up on its self. It works with interested kids as young as 3 and it teaches a handful of letter sounds on an "as needed" basis so its okay if you don't know all of the letter sounds at the beginning. Each "lesson" is about 24 pages so you can spread it out over a week or three if needed. You can work for 10-20 minutes at a time, depending on his interest/attention span each day and finish the book within the year. Get some letter magnets to add a "hands on" component to it if you want. There are a few activity pages in that book, but mostly you just read from the pages.

My 3 year old loves the Reading Lesson. She went from "a cat sat" to reading at about a first grade level within a few months. I almost dropped it after lesson 1 though, because  it seems to teach them to say some words "wrong." For example, it teaches them "a as in cat" but then asks them to read the sentence "a cat sat." It didn't phase my daughter but whenever I found something like this in the book, I wondered how the book could be working so well. It really does seem to work, even with so young a child.

Back to the topic at hand -- I got the electronic version when it was on one of its (frequent) sales, because she enjoyed coloring in the pictures in the sample chapters. So if you are looking for things for keep your son busy, OP, consider the PDF -- he can color it when he's done without destroying a "real" book. That at least doubles the amount of time he has something to do besides bug you. :)

• Like 1

I agree that it sounds like you already have plenty.  Are you wanting something open and go so that you'll have a checklist and it will get done?  Or are you wanting to add more to what you already have?

Memoria Press Junior K has plans for 2 days/ a week that is very laid out for you.  It schedules workbooks, read alouds, and hands-on activities.

MFW is developing a new preschool program that is supposed to be available this summer, I'm eager to see what it will include.

Heart Of Dakota's Little Hands to Heaven is daily plans based on the Bible.

Not sure if any of those look good to you.  I agree that it's nice to have something already planned and scheduled out so that it actually gets done!

• Like 1

For my little one, I just bought a 10-drawer rolling cart. She can pull open a drawer and play.  Put it away before choosing another drawer.  In the drawers I put playdoh, watercolor paints, puzzles, a storybook, etc...She's only 2 so it's all play for her.  That said, as she grows so will the contents of the drawers.

Some things I'll have in the drawers when she's 3/4:

Cuisenaire Rods, cm graph paper & crayons to match the colors of the rods

Pattern blocks & pattern pages

sandpaper letters, small pieces of paper, crayons

Magnet letters, magnetic dry erase board, dry erase markers

old magazines, grocery adds, etc...scissors, glue, construction paper

Kumon mazes, coloring, etc...

Puzzles

Games  (Happy Phonics will be in there.)

Books

audiobooks

Fine motor toys (lacing, beading, etc)

Play money to play store

We alternate things to keep it interesting, and gradually grow from shading/tracing sandpaper letter to reading...from playing with C rods to math.  

• Like 1

I agree that it sounds like you already have plenty. Are you wanting something open and go so that you'll have a checklist and it will get done? Or are you wanting to add more to what you already have?

Memoria Press Junior K has plans for 2 days/ a week that is very laid out for you. It schedules workbooks, read alouds, and hands-on activities.

MFW is developing a new preschool program that is supposed to be available this summer, I'm eager to see what it will include.

Heart Of Dakota's Little Hands to Heaven is daily plans based on the Bible.

Not sure if any of those look good to you. I agree that it's nice to have something already planned and scheduled out so that it actually gets done!

I have looked into the MFW and was looking forward to their new program coming out! We use MFW as a base for my older ones. I don't want to overload him and am looking for something open and go that's all planned out for him. Although I like Sonlight p4/5, it's mainly reading and I need things to pull our for him to do that he feels like he's doing school to that I ca either so with him or he can do on his own. I'm not trying to push academics with him but he is really interested and already able to do so much that his brothers have taught him. I'm wondering if the memoria press one you mentioned would fit what I need. It doesn't need to be be daily since that obviously didn't work this year, but 2 days may be just what we both need!

For my little one, I just bought a 10-drawer rolling cart. She can pull open a drawer and play. Put it away before choosing another drawer. In the drawers I put playdoh, watercolor paints, puzzles, a storybook, etc...She's only 2 so it's all play for her. That said, as she grows so will the contents of the drawers.

Some things I'll have in the drawers when she's 3/4:

Cuisenaire Rods, cm graph paper & crayons to match the colors of the rods

Pattern blocks & pattern pages

sandpaper letters, small pieces of paper, crayons

Magnet letters, magnetic dry erase board, dry erase markers

old magazines, grocery adds, etc...scissors, glue, construction paper

Kumon mazes, coloring, etc...

Puzzles

Games (Happy Phonics will be in there.)

Books

audiobooks

Fine motor toys (lacing, beading, etc)

Play money to play store

We alternate things to keep it interesting, and gradually grow from shading/tracing sandpaper letter to reading...from playing with C rods to math.

We have so many of these things already and do use them, but maybe if he had his own set of drawers (my orders do for their work boxes) that would help me organize specific activities for him to do. Did you find this was something she did on her own or you did with her?

So...you have reading, math and literature-based curriculum for your preschooler.

MUS is manipulative based as I'm sure you noticed.

AAR uses manipulatives too, no?

I'm assuming that you have duplo and blocks, maybe some hotwheels and such already in your home. What about puzzles? A globe?

You really don't need anything else at that age. Perhaps you might like to get some Kumon workbooks for the toddler years--he might enjoy cutting/copying/pasting...

Yes I know that's all more than enough. It's just some of the things I have that could potentially be used. I'm willing to scrap the Sonlight though if there's something that would be a better fit for him. It worked well when we just had 1 or 2 little guys who were schooling. Now with him and the older guys having more difficult work, I'm not sure it's the best fit. I'm willing to just use those books over the next few years as bedtime stories if I can find a better program for him.

It doesn't need to be be daily since that obviously didn't work this year, but 2 days may be just what we both need!

Take a look at hubbardscupboard.org. She has weekly schedules for 2 or 3 days a week depending on age. There are things to print out, unless you have alternatives, but the lessons include Bible, literacy, math, art, and science. Different days for different things. It's a nice set up. And it's free. I've used the 2 year old curriculum for some 3-4 year olds, because they didn't have those skills yet. I'm currently using the 4's curriculum, SL P3/4, and some other stuff I have (including MFW, kinda like you). I plan to make a modified workbox system for her to organize it. The lessons (which I never use as is) will be in box 1 to work with me first, then she can move to more independent play, etc.

Kumon books! :) Totally agree, they are so enjoyable! Workbooks are very "big boy" school right?  ;)

And if he or you wants something more academic, there's the ETC primers, we did those at that age. Or maybe one of the many super affordable rod and staff books.

Slightly OT but happy phonics, I got it like 2 years ago and it sat and we only used muffin match and sometimes reading house. A week or two ago DS suddenly "got" blending and reading and we are using a TON of the games!!!! Glad I cut, laminated, and then sat on the program when I did :D