Menu

Nothing New/Mindful spending week12

Ginevra

The "rules" of this challenge are self-defined. Anyone can join in at any time. The aim of the challenge (for me) is to combat consumerism, wastefulness, mindless buying, and overspending. It is meant to nurture creative problem solving, ecology, frugality, intentionalism, and resourcefulness. To support these goals, I seek to buy nothing new. I aim to use existing resources, borrow, hand-craft, and buy existing second-hand materials to the greatest extent possible. However, I recognize that life is unpredictable, and family life increases this factor exponentially, so I will buy new in the following cases, when a non-buying option does not present:

Food, health, and necessary household goods excluded.

Requirements for school, work, or health and well-being which cannot be obtained used.

Gifts, when a creative non-commercial option will not suffice.

Anything animal or gardening related that cannot be obtained used.

Fuel/energy sources.

Posts will appear each Saturday, referring to the week that is ending. Post your successes, creative solutions, relapses and weak moments. It doesn't matter if you have a weak moment! Just keep swimming!

Sorry this is appearing on Sunday and not Saturday.

I did okay this past week, but I did buy some new things yesterday. I bought a shower curtain and toilet brush for the newly-finished basement bathroom. I bought DS a "lunchbox" (it's actually a mini-cooler, but he complains that his lunchbox is not big enough!) i also bought Twin XL sheets that will be for DD to take to college, a body pillow and case, and a toiletries caddy. I can see that buying things for college will be unavoidable, but i would rather collect some things now than be stuck buying them when everyone is trying to.

So how were the other mindful spenders this week?

• Like 2

Well....let's just blame my unaccustomed spending on not feeling well.

Ok?

;)

Purchased:

--3 kindle books o' yummy fluff :D

--a textbook for next year

--a rice cooker for dd20 as an "Easter basket" (she's doing a gluten free trial which is difficult to do at college with a soy allergy)

--a replacement espresso machine when our 8yo one finally gave out

--2 new leotards for dd (did I list them last week?)

And then the usual groceries, drug store items, gas for the vehicles, etc.

• Like 3

Spent the past 11 days on a college trip, visiting inlaws, and escaping to the beach with my sister for a couple of days. We did spend money eating out on travel days and while at the beach, but otherwise I stayed on budget pretty well. I did buy a bar of handmade soap from my sister's favorite soap maker, but that's a pretty small splurge. 

However, I promised myself that if I maintained my composure around sister in law that I would indulge myself in some quilt fabric. Oh. My. Word. She was absolutely awful.  But I kept my cool and didn't say anything in response to her behavior.   Ds (who notices NOTHING) told me I had really gone above and beyond around her, and if he noticed how awful she was, it was truly bad. 

So...I'm buying quilt fabric one day soon. But not this week...I have six days to get dd organized and on the plane to Japan...for five months.  

• Like 4

Spent the past 11 days on a college trip, visiting inlaws, and escaping to the beach with my sister for a couple of days. We did spend money eating out on travel days and while at the beach, but otherwise I stayed on budget pretty well. I did buy a bar of handmade soap from my sister's favorite soap maker, but that's a pretty small splurge.

However, I promised myself that if I maintained my composure around sister in law that I would indulge myself in some quilt fabric. Oh. My. Word. She was absolutely awful. But I kept my cool and didn't say anything in response to her behavior. Ds (who notices NOTHING) told me I had really gone above and beyond around her, and if he noticed how awful she was, it was truly bad.

So...I'm buying quilt fabric one day soon. But not this week...I have six days to get dd organized and on the plane to Japan...for five months.

Perfect! This sounds like Creekland's advice to me to reward myself for putting up with a sil!

• Like 1

No one was hurt though they did loose a dog. It start just before 5 am on Tuesday morning

How awful! (And I hope by "liking" your post, it does not appear that I "like" what happened!) just showing you I heard you. (Hugs).

I returned some unused stuff we had gotten for the house, about $100 worth.

We had the flu this week so we went nowhere except to medical stuff. Those bills are going to be $$$$. :(

Ugh! Medical bills are terrible!

I forgot to say, I also paid for tickets for my parents (and myself) to see the play at DD's school. DD painted the flats for the set, along with others in Studio Art. This was a present for my parents that I was happy to give them; my mom had asked for an opportunity to see the kids in any activity for her birthday. She had also said she would really like to see a show or concert, so this was a perfect chance to do something for her.

• Like 3

Illness sort of derailed the budget this week, between easy to cook food and replacing toothbrushes and soap dispensers. Am I the only one that tosses almost everything in the fridge after a stomach virus? The thought of eating lettuce or leftovers from pre-sick days just grosses me out.

I bought a few new things at Target and Lowe's. Some were necessary like the grill grate and deck gate, others not so much. But I've always wanted superhero underwear, and they were on clearance!

I did manage to get all of DS5's baseball stuff from the sports resale shop.

• Like 1

. Am I the only one that tosses almost everything in the fridge after a stomach virus? The thought of eating lettuce or leftovers from pre-sick days just grosses me out.

Interesting. No,I don't think I've ever done that. I have only thrown out food if I thought it was the reason we got sick. This might have been my family's luckiest year for lack of colds, bugs, and viruses. (Knock on wood.) None of us has been ill this whole fall and winter.

Oh, I think I'm gonna get banned from the thread this week for sure.

We have planned a house remodel.  We've been talking about it for years, but now we have a contractor and I'm not even going to tell you how much $$ we're talking.  In our defense, we've lived here for 20 years and have hardly done anything to the house.  We have a lot of moisture damage that discolored our floors and ceilings and stuff.  Plus the kids can't stay in their tiny shared bedroom forever.  So ... I guess you could say we're saving by not buying a newer, bigger house.  :p  We're building out over our garage, and knocking down a wall, and fixing yucky stuff.  We're also going to replace the 30yo HVAC, which should save us some energy costs.

We might skip our summer travel plans due to the house remodel ... or we might not.  Anyway, I consider travel to qualify as "mindful spending."  That will be a topic for a future week.

In other news, I bought the kids new bikes on Friday.  I had promised to do that this Spring.  They were probably the only 3rd graders with 16" bikes so it was time.  :p  The old bikes will go to my nieces.

Oh, and this is probably the worst thing.  I ordered myself an exercise bike work station.  I must be nuts!  But the fact is that I need to get more exercise, and sitting on my butt (working) is taking a toll on me.  I donated my work table a while ago for a couple of reasons, and I've been mostly just leaning with my computer on my bed or my knees all day.  So I have been looking for something to replace it that can be moved around and not take up a lot of space.  So this thingy should kill two birds with one stone, I hope.

• Like 1

SKL, I'd be interested to know how the bike work station works out for you. Will you give us a review after you've used it for a bit, pretty please? :)

Well, I was doing much better at the beginning of the year, but I seem to keep buying something new each week the last few weeks. This week it was a GPS watch to use when I'm running. I've wanted one for a long time, and now I finally bought one. But I exercised some delayed gratification and got the free shipping option, so I'm still waiting for it to get here.

• Like 1

Ooh, I bought myself the new Nintendo 3DS XL. I am a hopeless gamer who has been kicked out of the Betty Ford Clinic many times.......well, in my dreams.

Yes, I do look like an old lady, but why did the salesman assume I was buying this for someone else? Lol.

• Like 1

We moved this week. I bought groceries and packed precooked meals in the RV before we left so we didn't have to eat out on the road. That saved us a ton. We did go out to lunch yesterday while we were out exploring our new town. We found a beautiful lake house that we're planning to put an offer on. So, I'll be blowing the whole mindful spending thing soon - oh, so worth it! Wish me luck! 😊

• Like 5