Menu

Life of Christ Study

Would any of you share your experiences with finding and using a good curriculum or bible study to study the life of Christ and/or the Gospels? I thought I wanted to use Positive Action's course, but the scope and sequence shows it really being a high school course. I don't want something that is going to be difficult and discourage ds. He does want to go deeper into the bible, though. 

Thanks!

I used Positive Action for Christ's Life of Christ with my 8th grade son. It was fantastic! Very well done. But it does have a chapter near the end detailing the medical aspects of crucifixion. That one chapter would give me pause for using it with a younger student...although honestly, a younger student might not understand enough to be bothered. My son was not disturbed by it as much as I was. 

Have you looked at their 6th grade program "Winning the Race"? It has several weeks on the life of Christ worked in with other things. 

One thing I will say about using Positive Action for Christ...be sure to purchase the TE. It has a lot of information...including a large portion of the lessons...in it.

• Like 2

I used Positive Action for Christ's Life of Christ with my 8th grade son. It was fantastic! Very well done. But it does have a chapter near the end detailing the medical aspects of crucifixion. That one chapter would give me pause for using it with a younger student...although honestly, a younger student might not understand enough to be bothered. My son was not disturbed by it as much as I was. 

Have you looked at their 6th grade program "Winning the Race"? It has several weeks on the life of Christ worked in with other things. 

One thing I will say about using Positive Action for Christ...be sure to purchase the TE. It has a lot of information...including a large portion of the lessons...in it.

Did you feel it was very difficult? I saw a graph of grade levels of their courses and it showed 8th-11th. I was concerned it would be too much. I'll look at the 6th grade book, too. I'd rather Bible be engaging and interesting than difficult. He does want to know things more in-depth but is young for his grade level.

Would something like this be too "young"?  http://kidsbibledebjackson.blogspot.com/2014/03/life-of-jesus-list-of-lessons-links.html

If you click on the pictures, it takes you to the text and visuals for the lesson, and there are links to free lapbooking components.  I've used this along with Telling God's Story vol 1 as a Jesus study.

Thanks for the link! Those probably would be too young, and he doesn't like art, lapbooks, etc., at all. 

• 1 month later...

You may have already made a decision, but I have been mulling this for mine as well. I just got a catalog in the mail and they list the God-Man Life of Christ (or something like that) in the middle school section. It is back in print for a time, and I think I am going to use that for my guys and save the Life of Christ high school level for high school:-) One note, it is hard to find through the website. I had to google it and it took me to a sample. If I think of it while I am home later, I will pop back and add the item number from the catalog.

Here is the link for the tm sample: https://positiveaction.org/media/product/downloads/2013/03/smkn810.pdf

• Like 1

You may have already made a decision, but I have been mulling this for mine as well. I just got a catalog in the mail and they list the God-Man Life of Christ (or something like that) in the middle school section. It is back in print for a time, and I think I am going to use that for my guys and save the Life of Christ high school level for high school:-) One note, it is hard to find through the website. I had to google it and it took me to a sample. If I think of it while I am home later, I will pop back and add the item number from the catalog.

Here is the link for the tm sample: https://positiveaction.org/media/product/downloads/2013/03/smkn810.pdf

Thanks! I got my catalog, too. It says it has been revised. Are those old samples?

I was going to use the 6th grade book, but now I think I'll wait to see more on this one. I just called to ask when they will have samples of the revision up and the scope and sequence. They said it is at the printers and it might be July before they have it and those posted. I'm just going to wait to make my decision. 

CLE Bible 700s? It's a study of the gospels. We are doing I this coming year. It just arrived today, and it looks splendid. It also includes learning to use a concordance as a bonus. We have been VERY happy with CLE Bible from the 100s through the 600s (haven't done the 300s yet, though).

"Sunrise Bible 700 is a study of the Gospels. The first LightUnit begins witha brief overview of each Gospel’s unique characteristics. Lessons in the rest of the course follow the chronological order of the Gospel of Luke but include events and teachings from the other Gospels. Each lesson directs the student to read a given portion of Scripture. This Scripture passage is then explained in the LightUnit and followed by activities that help the student interact with what they have learned. The course also teaches students how to use Strong’s Concordance. Bible memory work is included."

This is a full year course. Hit the sample links on this page to take a look:

https://www.clp.org/store/by_course/23

• Like 1

CLE Bible 700s? It's a study of the gospels. We are doing I this coming year. It just arrived today, and it looks splendid. It also includes learning to use a concordance as a bonus. We have been VERY happy with CLE Bible from the 100s through the 600s (haven't done the 300s yet, though).

"Sunrise Bible 700 is a study of the Gospels. The first LightUnit begins witha brief overview of each Gospel’s unique characteristics. Lessons in the rest of the course follow the chronological order of the Gospel of Luke but include events and teachings from the other Gospels. Each lesson directs the student to read a given portion of Scripture. This Scripture passage is then explained in the LightUnit and followed by activities that help the student interact with what they have learned. The course also teaches students how to use Strong’s Concordance. Bible memory work is included."

This is a full year course. Hit the sample links on this page to take a look:

https://www.clp.org/store/by_course/23

this looks really good!!!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

That is really helpful to know. I hadn't even questioned whether that was the revised edition. I will make a note to follow up in July as well. Thanks!

The new samples are already up on the website. It looks amazing! I think I'm going to use this and may even take our time spreading it out over 2 years. I don't want to rush through a bible curriculum, you know?

https://positiveaction.org/product-group-the-god-man#product-the-god-man-student-manual