Menu

Suggestions for complete curriculum 8th, 6th, 2nd

126bdays

I am looking to simplify school this year and purchase curriculum sets rather than piecing it all together myself.  My 8th grader is the main one I am concerned about but would switch all of the children if possible.  What are your favorite curriculum choices?  If you preferred to replace one subject in that curriculum, what would it be? (ex. Abeka curriculum and preferred replacing math with Bob Jones Math)

Considering Memoria Press but fear it may be too challenging.

Timberdoodle has pre-made grade kits that come with a guide book. It is not all from one company (ex. abeka, bju etc.) but it looks like a great package. I would check it out. 

Also, you could look at Sonlight or My fathers World if you would like to combine your children for History, Bible, Science, and read a louds.

I am looking to simplify school this year and purchase curriculum sets rather than piecing it all together myself.  My 8th grader is the main one I am concerned about but would switch all of the children if possible.  What are your favorite curriculum choices?  If you preferred to replace one subject in that curriculum, what would it be? (ex. Abeka curriculum and preferred replacing math with Bob Jones Math)

All from one publisher? Hmmm...For the ages of your dc, Rod and Staff.

All books in one box, from one source, but from different publishers? Christian Liberty Press kits.

Neither ABeka nor BJUP would be on my list. Too expensive, too many books/workbooks/manipulatives/blahblahblah. No ACE/CLE/Alpha Omega, either, because I wouldn't want my dc doing all of their work in identical little booklets.

• Like 2

Memoria Press just re-worked their grade level cores giving the option of a standard core or an accelerated core. The old cores are now their accelerated track. For the new standard core, math, spelling and composition stay on grade level, but all other courses are pushed out a year thereby delaying the more difficult courses of literature and classical studies. The wonderful thing about Memoria Press is that they will customize your package just about any way you wish if you call or email them.

• Like 3

All from one publisher? Hmmm...For the ages of your dc, Rod and Staff.

All books in one box, from one source, but from different publishers? Christian Liberty Press kits.

Neither ABeka nor BJUP would be on my list. Too expensive, too many books/workbooks/manipulatives/blahblahblah. No ACE/CLE/Alpha Omega, either, because I wouldn't want my dc doing all of their work in identical little booklets.

I like the look of the Christian Liberty Press kits. They sometimes replace the expensive TMs from BJUP and Abeka with simple answer keys which are obviously cheaper and more suitable for the homeschool environment IMO. 

What have you been using up to this point? Do your children have any particular learning styles? (ie. Charlotte Mason or textbook or workbook). I think those considerations (and others) will make a difference to what will work for you. HTH

We have been using a mix every year that I put together.  I prefer Charlotte Mason and Classical but don't always follow the models.  We like CLE Math.  This year we have done well with Hake's Grammar/Writing.  We have touched on WWE and WWS but have not been consistent.  We use SOW for History.  We do real books for Science.  Spelling Wisdom and AAS for Spelling.  They read novels for literature.  They enjoy reading and do not mind a few workbooks.  They would not like a purely workbook or online method of schooling.  

• Like 1

They would not like a purely workbook or online method of schooling.  

Given this info, I would stay away from Abeka, AOP Lifepacs, and the like. 

Have you looked at Heart of Dakota?  I think it's a good program.  It is Charlotte Mason inspired.  I really liked it for the older ages and was considering a switch for next year, but I just didn't think it was enough for my rising 3rd grader.  A little too gentle for that age, IMO. 

Also, you could look at Moving Beyond the Page.  They sell individual units if you'd like to try them out.  I just ordered a science unit for my kids and I'm really impressed with the books and materials I received. 

We have been using a mix every year that I put together.  I prefer Charlotte Mason and Classical but don't always follow the models.  We like CLE Math.  This year we have done well with Hake's Grammar/Writing.  We have touched on WWE and WWS but have not been consistent.  We use SOW for History.  We do real books for Science.  Spelling Wisdom and AAS for Spelling.  They read novels for literature.  They enjoy reading and do not mind a few workbooks.  They would not like a purely workbook or online method of schooling.  

That sounds a little bit like what I have been using with my 8th grader. As you say, I can't imagine going from that mix to a complete workbook style of learning. 

I would look at the modified memoria press or the Christian Liberty levels but others may have other options. 

• Like 1

We're using Memoria Press grade level packages for the first time this year and I really like them!  Yes, my kids are younger than yours, but we honestly have not found the work nearly as difficult as I had feared it would be.  And with the modified grade levels, that might not be a problem at all.  

I totally hear you about the simplicity of ordering from one place.  I just love the option to click on 4th grade and add it all to my cart, vs. trying to hunt down every.single.workbook and text from amazon, rainbow resource and curriculum publishers.  I also really like having the lesson plans come ready made, even spiral bound already .

I just hope I can stick it out and not be too tempted by other options... maybe I should take a break from these boards :)!

• Like 1

"I just hope I can stick it out and not be too tempted by other options... maybe I should take a break from these boards  :)!"  I completely understand!  I have been a curriculum junkie.

It looks like Memoria Press is in the lead with Heart of Dakota and Christian Liberty Press tied for second.

I'd love to hear any other ideas. 

"I just hope I can stick it out and not be too tempted by other options... maybe I should take a break from these boards  :)!"  I completely understand!  I have been a curriculum junkie.

It looks like Memoria Press is in the lead with Heart of Dakota and Christian Liberty Press tied for second.

I'd love to hear any other ideas. 

Following because I'm interested too. 

Is budget an issue? I haven't checked out the packages from Memoria Press or Christian Liberty press but those upper HOD levels are expensive... although, to be fair, you do get a lot of books for your $