Menu

Television to enjoy with 11yob and 13yog

gratefulmother

We enjoy watching television in the evenings with our almost 11 and 13 year old children after the 3 year old goes to bed.  We all love detective/adventure type shows, but have run into trouble with too much darkness and sexual content in the last few we have tried (Chuck and Blacklist).  Any ideas of new shows we could try?  We would appreciate the suggestions so much!! 

Have you tried Psych? I haven't watched it while thinking about if it was appropriate for kids, but it's not very dark or sexually explicit. Eureka might also work- it has a mystery element, but it is also science fiction.

ETA: Not detective/adventure but Switched at Birth, the Fosters, and Hart of Dixie are all pretty family friendly. The first two would have lots of opportunity for discussions of social issues, if you were so inclined. Gilmore Girls is awesome, though your husband and son may not care for it, it could be a fun girl time show!

• Like 1

Tiny House Nation

Tiny House Hunters

Treehouse Master

Cupcake Wars

There is one about swimming pools that my kids love (can't remember)

19 Kids and Counting

You could Netflix episodes of Monk. 90% of those were safe. We loved Monk!!

Those are our go-to, safe for kids shows that we all like to watch together.

• Like 1

Have you tried Psych? I haven't watched it while thinking about if it was appropriate for kids, but it's not very dark or sexually explicit. Eureka might also work- it has a mystery element, but it is also science fiction.

I like Psych in general, but yes, there are inappropriate s*xual scenes later, when Jules and Shawn finally get together, not to mention Lassie and his girlfriend, and the weird coroner...

And I loved Eureka, but even that became uncomfortable for me when the sheriff and Allison became involved. I almost quit watching it. o_0

• Like 1

I like Psych in general, but yes, there are inappropriate s*xual scenes later, when Jules and Shawn finally get together, not to mention Lassie and his girlfriend, and the weird coroner...

And I loved Eureka, but even that became uncomfortable for me when the sheriff and Allison became involved. I almost quit watching it. o_0

Different families have different comfort levels. But both of those shows are waaaaaay more family friendly than Blacklist. I haven't seen Chuck, so I have no idea how that compares.

• Like 1

Different families have different comfort levels. But both of those shows are waaaaaay more family friendly than Blacklist. I haven't seen Chuck, so I have no idea how that compares.

I understand that. I was only pointing out that, in fact, both Psych and Eureka had some pretty strong s*x stuff (Eureka more than Psych). Chuck? Oy. Sarah and Chuck were way too friendly. o_0

Blacklist is definitely not family friendly.

We love The Middle. There are some risque parts here and there but for the most part pretty family friendly. Dd15 likes Once Upon a Time, Sherlock, and Dr Who, though I admit this is not my cup of tea and I rarely watch so not sure if those are 100% appropriate. We also like Cutthroat Kitchen, Chopped, and other Food Channel shows.

• Like 2

MasterChef Jr

Great British Baking Show

Kids Baking Championship

19 Kids and Counting

Bringing Up Bates

This is probably awful of me, but I just watched a bunch of My 600 lb Life with my new 12 year old today.  She looks away during the surgeries.

DH lets the girls watch Psych sometimes.  I hope he's skipping anything inappropriate.

They've always been Mythbusters fans too.  We even saw the tour as a family.

• Like 1

We enjoy watching television in the evenings with our almost 11 and 13 year old children after the 3 year old goes to bed.  We all love detective/adventure type shows, but have run into trouble with too much darkness and sexual content in the last few we have tried (Chuck and Blacklist).  Any ideas of new shows we could try?  We would appreciate the suggestions so much!! 

go older.

Remington steele was wonderful  (and pierce brosnan =D )

it takes a thief

the original mission impossible series

Magnum PI  (Netflix has it)

the original avengers with Patrick Mcnee

original kung fu tv series  (now you understand grasshopper - even gets a reference in RED 2)

oh, oh - 'the prisoner" with Patrick magoohan

other things I watched with that age:

modern marvels

Sabrina

building an empire

• Like 2

Brooklyn 99 is funny. Police detective, but comedic rather than gory. I don't watch it with my almost 12 year old but I wouldn't mind him watching were he interested. There's definitley not any gratuitous violence or explicit sexual content.

I would say that Brooklyn 99 is to the gory police procedurals what Scrubs was to the gory hospital dramas.

• Like 1

Haven't read all responses, but my kids of these ages like older shows...Perry Mason is a huge favorite, Hogan's Heroes for comedy. We also like Westerns like Big Valley

If you like Perry Mason - you'll probably also like Ironside.

and Columbo . . . oh,  just one more thing . . . . :smilielol5:

I also liked McCloud

and  . . .

alias smith and jones

quincy ME

• Like 1

How the States Got Their Shapes (seriously, sounds boring, but the guy is really entertaining!)

if you go to their website - they have games.  and it is both fascinating AND educational (especially for obscure trivia)

• Like 2

Criminal Minds on Ion is a pretty good detective style series. Most of them are much tamer than some of the other programs of the same genre.

Do you mean Criminal minds starring Thomas Gibson and Shemar Moore? It just goes to show that every one has a very different idea of appropriate content.

I personally find that show to be very gory and the opposite of tame. There are story lines I am just like, uh, yeah nope not watching that. So much sexual violence and torture type scenes. Don't get me wrong, I like the show sometimes and think that parents are the best judge of what works for their family entertainment wise. But there is no way this would be a family how here.

• Like 1

Do you mean Criminal minds starring Thomas Gibson and Shemar Moore? It just goes to show that every one has a very different idea of appropriate content.

I personally find that show to be very gory and the opposite of tame. There are story lines I am just like, uh, yeah nope not watching that. So much sexual violence and torture type scenes. Don't get me wrong, I like the show sometimes and think that parents are the best judge of what works for their family entertainment wise. But there is no way this would be a family how here.

Mandy Patinkin left the show after 3 seasons because HE felt it had too much gore!  

We watch a lot of Dragon's Den (the American version is Shark Tank).  It's my 9 year old's favourite show and the rest of us like watching it, too.  

We also watched Once Upon a Time.  A few years ago we watched about six seasons of The Waltons and I was surprised, but everyone really liked it.  

• Like 1

No, maybe I have the wrong title. We really watch very little tv at all, & one day while sick, I turned on ion & watched about 5 episodes in a row of a show that I thought was an improvement over the regular crime dramas b/c the shows were not based on sexual torture or other torture. They were pretty tame. Huh. I thought it was Criminal Minds. Maybe it was old episodes, or maybe it was one of the other crime shows that they sometimes run in big blocks. I have no idea who's in it. I did let the kids sit & watch with me & We usually avoid prime time television. So, weird. Y'all saying it's one of the worst makes me think I have it confused with another.

• Like 1

We've also seen a show that's set in a fire station that we liked. It's adventurous! A fire/rescue drama show. I don't remember the name & I won't even guess. Maybe someone will chime in. Irl mostly we see Jeopardy, Wheel of Fortune, & sometimes Family Feud. Eastern Time prime time comes on too late for me! If we happen to tune in we like The Middle, Meet the Goldbergs, & whatever else is on that night. I think it's a block of shows that are pretty good. I don't know the channel or the night. Sometimes we just stumble on it.

I'm realizing I should have stayed out of this thread. I know next to nothing about what's on prime time.

• Like 1

No, maybe I have the wrong title. We really watch very little tv at all, & one day while sick, I turned on ion & watched about 5 episodes in a row of a show that I thought was an improvement over the regular crime dramas b/c the shows were not based on sexual torture or other torture. They were pretty tame. Huh. I thought it was Criminal Minds. Maybe it was old episodes, or maybe it was one of the other crime shows that they sometimes run in big blocks. I have no idea who's in it. I did let the kids sit & watch with me & We usually avoid prime time television. So, weird. Y'all saying it's one of the worst makes me think I have it confused with another.

I'm wondering if you're thinking of White Collar? Most of the episodes are tame as far as violence. A few have a little more sex than some might be comfortable with.

For detective shows have you looked at older ones no longer on the air. 

Monk 

Numb3rs

I watched both, but as an adult without thought to children. But I'm pretty sure you wouldn't find much sexual content in Monk, because he is Monk. 

Perhaps you can think of other older shows.

Yes - Numb3rs is fantastic!  I watched a few seasons with my dd when she was 13 and then with my eldest ds when he was 13.  We really liked learning about the math that was brought in to solve the cases.

For detective shows have you looked at older ones no longer on the air. 

Monk 

Numb3rs

We all loved Numb3rs! Pretty boys with guns and cool chalkboards. We did choose to skip the pilot episode, which is a fairly extreme rape/murder case. There are some cringe-worthy sexy fun times in the 3rd or 4th year, or, as we called, the "No! They're not gay -stop writing that fanfic!" season.  Still tame compared to Chuck and Blacklist, I'd say. dh and I do love Blacklist. 

I only allow the occasional Monk episode; the recreational OCD in this household is bad enough. 

Agents of Shield is a current one we watch together. 

Old ones: Psych, Eureka, Warehouse 13, Lost Room (which is just a mini-series), Supernatural (gross but the gore is usually quite fake looking) 

Granite Flats

The Middle

Reality shows (not like housewives!) Such as Curse of Oak Island, Alaskan Bush People, Gold Rush, etc.

Eta: my 13 yr old is currently bingeing on MacGyver on Netflix. He also likes Matlock. Both shows are detective-ish.

For those who are already Granite Flats fans, Season 3 starts on Saturday!

When oldest was at home, he liked Elementary. No one else watches detective shows. I might get back to them when I get control of the remote... when they all move out, lol.

Together we watch:

I Love Lucy re-runs

Home Improvement re-runs

Last Man Standing

Alaska: The Last Frontier

Corner Gas re-runs