Menu

Need advice on bronchitis

tori@thehomefront

ok, I got sick 8 days ago. Woke up feverish and weak, and slept all of Saturday and Sunday. Monday I felt a little better, but still having fever and chills, alternating, and developed a cough. Tuesday and Wednesday I couldn't do anything on my feet beyond get to the bathroom without feeling light headed, so dh made me go to the walkin clinic. Dr gave me an albuterol treatment and did a chest X-ray to check on pneumonia, and sent me home with a steroid pack, albuterol inhaler, and antibiotics.

Friday (day7) they said there's no pneumonia, only bronchitis. I've been resting as much as humanly possible and doing all the meds on schedule, but today (Sun.), I just had a spell of light headed ness again! Dh wants me to go back to a regular dr tomorrow, because I'm not improving as fast as we would like. Any opinions for me? Go to the dr? don't go to the dr? Am I expecting too much too soon? TIA

If you weren't already on antibiotics I would go back to the doctor to check again for pneumonia. But you are already on the treatment plan for pneumonia. I had both earlier this winter--2 weeks of bronchitis followed by 10 days of pneumonia. Antibiotics put me on the road to recovery, but recovery was still pretty slow compared to a cold or regular flu. The one thing I would do differently in retrospect is try mucinex when it was just bronchitis to see if I could avoid the pneumonia. I would probably wait a day or two and then go to the doctor if there is no improvement.

• Like 2

Thanks for the advice! I feel better in general, no fever, the tightness in my chest is mostly gone, my cough is increasingly productive, etc. I just hate being sick and sitting when there's so much to do. I'm never sick, and I feel so guilty that dh and the older kids are having to pick up my slack. And the dizzy episode earlier scared me a little. I'll see how things go tonight/tomorrow, and keep resting.

• Like 1

I was on my boohiney for three weeks with bronchitis. It was viral, not bacterial, so antibiotics wouldn't have worked, anyway. And we know it was viral, because I went to a walk-in clinic on Monday with what was diagnosed as a sinus infection, and was given an antibiotic. On Friday I went in to my regular doctor--Mr. Ellie left work to take me in--and it was bronchitis. I was wheezing (a totally new experience, as I have never, ever done that before); I had a breathing treatment, and a prednisone shot, and went home with a script for an inhaler. In my jammies for.three.weeks.

If you are not feeling better tomorrow, go to the doctor. But be prepared for recovery time. It will be fine. DO NOT FEEL GUILTY.

:grouphug:

• Like 2